Back to Introduction to Spreadsheets and Models

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Spreadsheets and Models by University of Pennsylvania

4.2

The simple spreadsheet is one of the most powerful data analysis tools that exists, and it’s available to almost anyone. Major corporations and small businesses alike use spreadsheet models to determine where key measures of their success are now, and where they are likely to be in the future. But in order to get the most out of a spreadsheet, you have the know-how to use it. This course is designed to give you an introduction to basic spreadsheet tools and formulas so that you can begin harness the power of spreadsheets to map the data you have now and to predict the data you may have in the future. Through short, easy-to-follow demonstrations, you’ll learn how to use Excel or Sheets so that you can begin to build models and decision trees in future courses in this Specialization. Basic familiarity with, and access to, Excel or Sheets is required....

MM
Jun 21, 2017

This course has made me understand cost accounting, has provided a fresh perspective on how to solve some of the challenges i had with management accounting and as a bonus, made me love maths again :)

RJ
Jun 11, 2020

The course is worth the time , the faculty teaches you about some complicated advance formulae with so much clarity and ease that even beginners can be pro in excel related to business and finance.

326 - 350 of 592 Reviews for Introduction to Spreadsheets and Models

By Chen C C

Nov 22, 2019

Too simple and not really organized.

By Indrajeet K

Apr 28, 2020

Examples needed to be more detailed

By Racheal

Mar 31, 2020

hard to understand but very useful

By Chris A w

Feb 7, 2020

This course was very informative.

By Aditya T

Oct 6, 2019

Need models to be more realistic!

By Santiago C

Aug 2, 2019

Very basic exercises and topics

By shantanu k

Jan 6, 2018

Videos can be more informative.

By Ted T

Apr 28, 2017

Useful and practical course

By Mykola B

Aug 29, 2016

It was not very informative

By Tarun S R

May 31, 2016

Great!

By Kiran G G

Apr 19, 2020

Good

By Tom K

Jun 23, 2017

V

By Jason P

Aug 6, 2017

I'm not entirely sure that this course should have been separated out on its own. The material was too high level with very minimal examples/practice questions. It made it kind of difficult to tease out what was important in a 3-5 minute videos. I felt like it left you stretching to match the objectives with the content. In regards to the quiz questions, I think it'd be useful to see the correct answer when it comes to formulas. This would be important because an answer may actually be correct but marked incorrect due to the fact it wasn't typed exactly as the specified answer was. For example, $F$8 <= $H$8 could be construed differently than $F$8 < = $H$8. Again, I'm not saying that this was the case, but it does happen frequently in these types of quiz formats.

By Alan H

Apr 20, 2020

This course was well-organized and I appreciate the no-nonsense, fast pacing. I was introduced to several functions and tools I was not familiar with and think I benefited from the course overall. However, the quizzes are terrible. I found the questions to be either 1) extremely trivial or 2) ambiguous in wording of the question or in the answer choices provided. As a result and as someone else noted in a review of this course, you can't learn anything from the quiz feedback. For some of the questions in which I erred, I'm still scratching my head as to why I got it wrong in the first place, or why my subsequent answers upon retaking the quiz were right.

By Jorge E G H

Feb 21, 2018

The professor seems to have a good amount of knowledge about the topic, but the course does not provide a lot of information regarding basic functions and the examples given are not enough; the content lacks of exercises to apply what we learned. The lessons are well explained, and overall the information is good, but as I mentioned before, it would be better to make the course more dynamic and provide exercises to complete. Also it would be better to explain in depth the tools individually because what they teach you is excessively general, so you can't actually see a proper application in real life.

By Tatsiana M

May 10, 2018

Although I learned some new material, the course was very disappointing. I am not sure what had happened with the second chapter. It appears, based on introduction , we should have learned many new things in each video. However, after the introduction the video was over. Next two chapters had some useful material but again, I wish it would be explained in a greater detail.

I give this course three stars but only because of the respect I have to all professors. I fill like this course was a teaser for people to go to the Wharton University.

By Michael S

Mar 18, 2016

A separate class for spreadsheets and modeling isn't bad perse. The best way to teach these models is to integrate them during finance or accounting, or whatever specific class you are trying to learn.

That said this is probably a good resource for someone with 0 and I mean absolutely NO experience with excel. However my gut feeling also tells me that those who have had 0 experience with excel will not be able to follow the models shown in this class.