Back to Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling by University of Pennsylvania

How can you put data to work for you? Specifically, how can numbers in a spreadsheet tell us about present and past business activities, and how can we use them to forecast the future? The answer is in building quantitative models, and this course is designed to help you understand the fundamentals of this critical, foundational, business skill. Through a series of short lectures, demonstrations, and assignments, you’ll learn the key ideas and process of quantitative modeling so that you can begin to create your own models for your own business or enterprise. By the end of this course, you will have seen a variety of practical commonly used quantitative models as well as the building blocks that will allow you to start structuring your own models. These building blocks will be put to use in the other courses in this Specialization....

AP

Jun 16, 2019

Very clear and articulate explanation of the concepts. He doesn't skip a step in the sequencing ideas, drawing comparisons and differences, and illustrating both visually and story-telling. Excellent.

NC

Jul 31, 2019

Very nice course for beginner, the mathematic level is not high (around french baccalaureat) so available to everyone. I enjoyed a lot this course that show how simple math can be used in real life.

26 - 50 of 851 Reviews for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

By Farouk G

Jul 21, 2019

Fairly straightforward and provided good content, but intros and summaries were often unnecessary and it seemed that a low percentage of the content was new material being learned. Still enjoyed it and learned useful terminology

By Aarij A

Jul 06, 2019

the course is mere naming of concepts used in modeling with no actual way of learning how to practise the things taught in the course :(

By Sachi F

Mar 13, 2018

This course was wonderfully thought out and very well organized. The professor did an amazing job introducing modeling concepts and then breaking them down in very clear, concise points so you also can understand the underlying purpose of those concepts. The examples are all very well laid out to help you further understand this course. The quizzes were simple, but they did help reinforce the information taught in each module. Some questions weren't technically covered in the module, but you could easily extrapolate from the information given to come to the correct conclusion. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who had an interest in forming a foundational understanding of basic financial models.

By Hristo D

Mar 01, 2016

The course was very useful in introducing me to the basic concepts of modelling. I am now familiar with the necessary vocabulary to participate in conversations about modelling. It also refreshed my intuition on the basic mathematical functions. Most interesting part was the steps I have to follow when I want to construct a particular model in order to help me in answering questions about a business process.I also found out that this is a continuous process and usually I might not construct good one from the first time. I am looking forward to the next stages and so far I would definitely recommend it to my friends!

By Colin E

Mar 03, 2016

I think this was a very good course. Level of instruction and pace were appropriate for someone with 2 hours/week to spend and who wanted to improve their knowledge of these topics. Its probably more useful for someone with some previous experience, limited time and some problems they want to solve, rather than a student. It had a good balance between a lot of breadth for time invested. If you approach this as a high-level overview that will help you efficiently focus your own search for knowledge it's extremely well done; I thought knowledge communicated for the amount of time spent was quite high.

By Rajat M R

Oct 03, 2018

I would like to thank coursera and university of pennsilvaniya for providing me an opportunity to be a part of this course. Language used by prof. waterman was so comprehensible that even a layman could make a note of what is being taught. Knowing the fundamentals is the foremost task before advancing into anything, with the help this course I gained a brief idea of modelling in business and how these models are instruments in growth of a business .I would like to gain a more in depth knowledge of modelling and would love to enroll in all courses related to financial modelling

By Alessandro I

Mar 22, 2017

The concepts are really well explained and the video lectures are engaging (not boring). The tone of the professor is appropriate and I really appreciated his way to explain economics modeling.

I already knew part of the topics and treat them in my university career, but it was helpful to give my memory a little boost and explore them in a different way that I'm used to.

The difficulty is less than average; I would say that is appropriate for an undergraduate course and proportional for the effort required (2-3 hours par week).

By Jamal S

Nov 23, 2016

In a word. Excellent!

I have learnt a lot during this course.

Even though there are no direct interactions during the videos, Professor Richard Waterman still manages to keep it very engaging including excellent dry wit.

I found the course quite challenging seeing as I have very little background in Finance/Business modelling, although I have sufficient work experience to help me through.

The modules content was explained with clarity.

Thank You, Coursera, Thank You, Professor Richard Waterman!

By Lucy Y

Feb 09, 2016

I have been in IT and business areas for so many years and I need a very concise and very pragmatic way of forming useful models. I only viewed week one materials. I have to admit that the professor, the materials and the course design have been extremely impressive. I would highly recommend, to anyone, IT or business managers, professionals in all areas to take this course. Because Modeling and Data Analytics will facilitate much better business decisions and make us better thinkers.

By Vikrant W

Sep 19, 2019

This course is very extensive on the use of quantitative models. The 4 quantitative models are explained with simple practical examples which enables the learner put his knowledge in practical situations. The skills learned in this course are very essential to a maker of Financial Model where one has to use historical data and build forecast.

My personal advise to fellow learners, please do attempt the calculations on your own to make your knowledge more precise. Happy Learning

By Vishvendra S T

Apr 15, 2018

This is an excellent course for all those who wants to learn Quantitative Modeling from very scratch. This course builds the foundation block by equipping students with basic terminologies & mathematical functions required to demystify the mathematical complexity associated with the topic. The course further explains various nuances of various models (Static/Dynamic, Deterministic/Probabilistic etc) elegantly & elaborately.

Thanks to the Coursera & Wharton Online Team!

By DIONYSIOS Z

Oct 17, 2016

This introductory course is perfect. It gives you time to think (you don't have to spend too much time in order to understand the material/concepts) and it is self-sufficient. I would suggest to set the playback rate at 1.25 since the teacher talks really slow. In addition, I would like to see the teacher talking like a human being instead of reading his notes in a black background but this is not super important for me. All in all, I totally recommend it!

By Androniki P

Feb 19, 2017

While a student, I couldn't understand any of these, the probabilistic, deterministic models, their types, differences and applications. I would usually memorize when to use them just to pass the course. Now, this time I feel I really comprehend them. And it happened smooth and quite easily because the instructor was amazing. The material was well presented and gradually getting more advanced. U would highly recommend the course! Thank you.

By Carlos O I L

Feb 25, 2016

I just finished the 3/4 week for this course and so far it's been an excellent class, however I don't understand why you need to upgrade to get your quiz graded. I understand that you should pay to get a certificate, I find it totally acceptable, but I don't agree with being charged just to know how well you did.

I plan on taking the full specialization (minus the Capston Project) and I'm hoping the next courses are as good as this one!

By Zarina

May 25, 2017

Thank you to Prof. Waterman and Coursera for a very insightful and inspiring course on the Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling. The course instructions were delivered in a very clear manner, which helped absorb the complicated material more easily. The course allowed me to learn new and polish existing knowledge on the topic of Modeling. The course also opened the door for a further study of the Modeling and related topics.

By Austin G

Dec 19, 2016

This course helped me really to understand the concepts behind mathematical formulas commonly used in business analytics. I much more clearly understand the relation between variables within a function, as well as their meaning in reality. Overall, I can tell this course is great as the introduction for the Business and Financial Modeling Specialization. Very pleased with the quality and intelligence of the instructor.

By Jayant S

Feb 23, 2016

Builds solid foundation and covers the basics of quantitative models. Nice introduction to regression. Really looking forward to next course, which would teach spreadsheet implementation.

I think this course will help professionals and students from a variety of fields, i.e. marketing, sales, banking and finance, Information Technology, etc. Keep up the good work, Coursera and Wharton Online.

By santhosh k

Jul 31, 2017

Course Content is designed in such a way that it is very easy to undertsand the concepts. Although being an engineer I already have insight about these topics, this course has given a structured way of undertsanding and interpreting things which is really a great value addition in decision making. A must course for all those who want to pursue MBA or those interested in Decision Making.

By peter a

Jun 08, 2017

Excellent, clear presentation. One would be well advised to know pre-calc beforehand. This would be a more complete course if multiple math exercises were offered as well as more detail about the math formulas. But the concepts are well presented, and one can still pass the tests without being a total 'math-head'. The transcripts of the lectures could really use editing.....really!

By Shreshth V

Nov 18, 2019

It was an amazing course. I could understand how to make sense of the data available using regression modeling and other mathematical modeling concepts. This course has taught how I can use data available to predict certain outcomes based on confidence intervals, to forecast the future possibilities and to optimize the data to pursue required objective. It is a really helpful course.

By Mar G A

Aug 28, 2018

It's a very basic course on quantitative modeling. This is perfect for those who forgot their statistics class or their Quanti subject in MBA. Hehe. Like me. It's a refresher.

What I liked about this course and the professor is he uses business language and applications so that your model can be easily understood, or how would you present your model to your audience or your boss.

By Gopi K H

Apr 23, 2017

This is an amazing course modelled to know the nuances of quantitative modelling. I would request the course moderators to include excel sheets with the given models done. Especially it would be helpful for me if you were given how to make practical use of logistic regression in cases like buy or not buy a share, take or not take a subscription sort of examples. Thank you.

By Ricardo S

Oct 24, 2017

Very clear exposure of topics. Professor is a master of the topic and delivers it with joy and enthusiasm. The subject is sometimes dense and potentially boring at this phase (before real application and manipulation of models), but the course material keeps the key concepts front and center, which I think is a great way to build solid foundation for the student. Thanks.

By Priti A

Oct 30, 2019

A wonderful and well-structured course for any beginner in the field of quantitative modelling. Professor Richard Waterman introduces even the complex topics so smoothly and effortlessly that a student can understand it in a single sitting. Grateful to the coursera and the University of Pennsylvania for putting together such a brilliant course up. Deeply thankful.

By Nikhil T

Sep 29, 2019

This course sets the foundation for the quantitative modelling. All the techniques introduced in the course were well planned with a lot of examples to learn from. I also like the use of numerical questions in the quiz. The course really helped me understand the basic of what modelling is all about. I thank coursera and Wharton online for offering such a course.