Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

KK
Feb 23, 2020

Terrific introduction to the Data Science course. Never expected but was extremely excited with the quality of content, speakers and a very honest attempt to making this course interesting.\n\nKrishna

BB
Feb 21, 2019

Excellent quality content! It's a great introductory course that really gets you interested in Data Science. I would highly recommend it to anyone curious in learning about what Data Science is about.

126 - 150 of 9,726 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By Carlos J B A

Oct 11, 2018

The courses I have taken have served me for my professional life, expand my knowledge and apply them finding results. This undoubtedly marked my personal life feeling happy and calm with what I am living. I feel that this platform has changed my life because it has ended with many paradigms that I had with respect to education, thanks to the financial help that Coursera has given me I have been able to move forward in my life project. Thanks you very much. Greetings from Colombia

By Taya D

Feb 28, 2019

The videos were super informative and honestly inspiring to someone like me who does not come from a traditional comp sci background. It still made it sound like Data Science is a career for me, which is good because it is my current job.

I found it really attention getting that the videos had little quizes throughout. It made me pay attention more.

I would like to have had a few more examples of code I could write besides 1 + 1 just to start getting me used to reading it.

By Aman T

Apr 10, 2020

This was a very nice introduction to what exactly is data science. It will also teaches us what skills we should have in order to become data scientists. Also give us some introduction to How to make a proper report and what to write on that report. Difference between AI,machine learning,deep learning and data science is also described here very well. In a nutshell this course will give us very broad view of What is Data Science. I highly recommend this course to everyone.

By Yadnesh M B

Mar 27, 2021

I finally got to know out what is Data Science in actuality. This course covered each and every aspect of Data Science to the core. Each and every topic was simplified in such a way that people from both technical and non-technical backgrounds can get the concepts very quickly and with ease. A lot of examples from Experts are given in this course to get every term, topic, or any other concept related to the course. Overall, a very very helpful course for beginners.

By Abhishek G

Aug 23, 2020

I have completed this course and I must say this is one of the best courses to kickstart your Data Science journey. I am now going to complete the whole series of courses provided by IBM and Coursera.

I am really happy and satisfied with the content and the way it is organized in the course.

Based on my personal experience, I will say one should not miss this course as it is a golden opportunity to be taught by the best of two platforms, The IBM and The Coursera.

By Dhanalakshmi R

May 23, 2020

In this course really gives me huge knowledge about data science and who are really a data scientist, what we really need to become a successful data scientist. And also this course gave me a foundation of data science with excellent teaching and project work. And i got somewhat information about what is data science. Very thankful to provide this course for students. I am glad to say,

This course is very useful for me, Thank you for all instructors

By Shubham S

Aug 13, 2020

This course gave me some fundamental ideas about Data Science and what data scientists do. What they have to do being as data science. This also described the difference among terminologies like machine learning, deep learning, data mining, big data, data science, and Artificial Intelligence. This course also explains their jobs and what they do to hold the above profession. And finally, I want to say big thanks, my course mentors, IBM and Coursera community.

By ACHYUTHA G L K

Jul 7, 2020

A very good course to start with data science because the course gives the students a clear idea of what Data Science is all about and its applications in various fields. And the major advantage is that it is not a classroom teaching. It comprises experiences of the working professionals and industry experts. The course also helps students by providing them with what are all the basics they should be thorough with and the career options for Data Scientists.

By Vyacheslav B

Aug 18, 2020

This introductory course has cleared up quite a few of the misconceptions I had regarding Data Science and its tools, which I'm really thankful for, because now I can go past the barrier of the uncertain unknown that, for me, this topic was surrounded with before.

The course has also outlined many applications for Data Science, its best practices and planning techniques, and as such has made me want to delve deeper into the other aspects of DS as well.

By Archie G R

Jul 31, 2020

This course helps me through a lot to learn about the Data Science. About my journey to become Data Scientist was given to me an opportunity to took this course. I am grateful for this course which I owe to the IBM company to support my journey to become part of their online platform course and to become Data Scientist someday. I will strive to continue again and study hard to get my Professional Data Science Certificate to this privilege opportunity.

By Franco M V

Apr 22, 2020

Es un curso resuelve dudas fundamentales a aquellas personas que están interesadas en meterse en este mundo, y lo hace de una manera muy sencilla.

Acá entendederas que es Data Science y diferenciarlo de conceptos con los que normalmente se confunden, tales como Big Data, AI, Machine Learning, entre otros.

También aprenderás que es lo que hace en su dia a dia un Data Scientist, el pool de skills requeridos y las formas de llegar a convertirte en uno.

By SRIDHAR B

Aug 12, 2020

I am completely new to this field, I was worried that what if i can't do this? What if i can't understand? But, here the classes, Quiz, Assignment, Presentation of classes or Videos is so, nice that I understood each and every topic and not at all felt to me like I have completed my course also. I mean listning to 2 min, 5 min videos will not affect you but the content was really cool. Thanks to every one who involved in this presentation / Data.

By Temi A

This course was delivered with goal of providing clear understanding of the course objectives. The tutors were very passionate. Thanks to Prof. Murtaza Haider. PhD. who speak to the heart of the topics and especially on the personality traits of a data scientist. Stephen Sherman ("Garbage in garbage out'), Shingai Manjengwa, Mandeep Kaur, Luis Martins, Diana Zarate Diaz and final but not the least the incredible Prof Norman White. Great people!

By Pushpa T

Jan 9, 2020

I am so impressed with coursera – the courses; the manuals which are actually usable, readable and understandable; and the instructors. If I ever need additional training, you will be my first choice!"

I cannot express how great the instructor was and the overall content of the material. I would defintely recommend this to my co-workers as well as friends. I will be looking into taking more of these classes in the near future. Thank you!"

By Teri W

Dec 5, 2020

Good overview of Data Science. There were a few glitches (eg, it said the lab would take 30min but it took only about 5min so I was confused if I had done it right or if I was missing something; I did get feedback/assistance on this issue from an instructor within a couple days). But overall, I felt like it presented a lot of useful basics about data science - how it came to be, how it is used, and what qualities makes a good data scientist.

By Sanket N

Jul 15, 2020

This is one of the most wonderful course for beginers, who want's to do career in the data science field. This is the introductory level course and each and every thing in this course tought with very easy format and it is easily understandable, So I think is the best course to start with data scince , I personally recommend to do this course as if anyone want to learn the data science then they must have to begin from this course.

By Dilek I A P

Sep 17, 2019

Very informative introduction to Data Science. I liked how they describe the Data Science, Data Scientist. It was made clear that data science is not only a job but it is kind of a life style. And, while watching you become aware of the act that as an engineer you are a data scientist without knowing. Becoming aware of it makes you want to learn more about the tools you can use to make it more efficient. Thanks to all course Staff.

By Alexandru F

Jul 22, 2019

If you are just starting your Data Science journey or are simply curious what it means (as it's a term that is getting more popular and is being thrown all over the internet), this course will give you the answer set in the course's name "What is Data Science?".

Careful, the people explaining in the videos show a genuine interest in the subject and it might rub in. It might even spark your curiosity and go on further learning.

By Chandan R

Jul 12, 2020

Excellent introductory course. The data science specialization by IBM presents a debatably perfect roadmap to get started with data science without having prior technical experience. This course itself outlines what data science truly is and helps you get a clear idea of skills, tools and motivation for pursuing data science. I would recommend this course to anyone who is confused if he/she should pursue data science or not.

By Surbhi B

Jan 20, 2021

This course is really informative. It covers all the fundamentals , concepts of tools used in data science through examples. It clearly tells what qualities one should have to become a data scientist. With all the research paper used and briefly explained makes easy to understand the terms like data mining , storing , analyzing and consuming. Questionnaire is perfectly made to capture and memorise the important points in

By Abhishek P G

Yes, I did it and it helped me gain more skills and refreshed on my outdated skills that I learned long time ago. The IBM Data Science Professional Certificate has great content and the instructors are competent enough. I will learn how to structure data science problems and introduce you to the entire data science workflow. The big advantage I will learn is how to use cloud to develop and deploy machine learning models

By Suraj D G

May 16, 2020

I have already taken one course on data science, but the quality and content this course has is really broad. The way every data scientist professional explain their views on how the career would be on the day to day life and what skills do you need to develop to be one of the best in the field. Very excited as I completed the first course and looking forward to complete the IBM certification within next 3-4 months.

By MATIAS R

May 6, 2019

I believed this course has given me a much better understanding of data science and some other related topics as machine learning, deep analytics and so. I realize that there is a lot more to come If I would like to be a professional someday in this subject. Although data science it´s a very complex topic, the way that the course is presented and the professionals that contributed made it a very pleasing experience.

By Engr.Sudipto B S

Jan 14, 2020

This course is fully well designed and have developed in some particular ways for knowledge development in data science and engineering. I have grown a well amount of interest in data science by going this course. More quiz based on this topic is needed and also needed some important reference for more better and appropriate books for more knowledge gathering. But overall the course is marvelous and well oriented.

By Jerin V

Nov 20, 2019

It was a very informative course. For someone who wants to begin with Data Science, this course can be the best first step. I've learnt a lot from this course. As I said this course is informative so don't expect any hands-on. Questions like what is Data Science? or How to become a Data Scientist? etc. will be answered in this course. Thank you Coursera for the financial aid. Looking forward to many other courses.