Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

RS

AP
Jan 15, 2022

I throughly enjoyed the course and the fact that everything was explained thoroughly. I always enjoyed Dr. White's personal experience with Data Science as well as other Data Scientists point of view.

151 - 175 of 9,774 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By Michael S

Mar 8, 2021

I have a great understanding of the role of the data scientist and their objective.

Its great to know all the parts that make up data science and how data science has changed the world today.

The videos interviews give perspective and understanding of the role of a data scientist and the new tools and trends in data science.

The readings are great as they solidify what is being said in the interviews.

Great course!

By Samsul A A

Nov 26, 2019

So I was doing Data science from other free sources and of course, gained pieces of knowledge from those free sources. But learning from here I guess is giving me more structured information I required in order to motivate myself to learn more about Data Science. The way the videos interacted with me as a user was really informative and qualitative. Really looking forward to completing the further courses.

By Jada N

Oct 5, 2019

It is a basic requirement of a student to know what he/she is actually going into. I have found that this course provides an intuition on 'What is Data Science?' 'How it was occurred?' 'What are the fields of Data Science that made this thriving in the modern world?' This course will give you an insight on what you needed to know before you go into the depths of Data Science. I have found it useful, indeed.

By Raymond M A

Oct 22, 2019

Excelente curso para iniciarse en conocer lo que es el big data, las informaciones son proporcionadas por expertos en la materias y años de experiencia en todo el contenido, las practicas son bastante clara y detalladas en el laboratorio iguales las pruebas, el personal ha realizado un gran esfuerzo para hacer comprensible este curso a estudiantes que no tienen ningún conocimiento de lo que es el big data

By Choong N P

Oct 21, 2020

This course was very helpful and useful for me to start new chapter in my subject expert domain in corporate cash management. I realised that data science is requiring three fundamental skills - proficient knowledge in your domain, communication and some technical skills required for data science jobs. The important drivers are curiosity for your domain and passion for solving problems in your domain.

By Mimouni M A

Sep 6, 2018

this course is awesome .

i really enjoyed it, thanks IBM and thanks Coursera .

in the first week you will answer to these questions

what is data science ?

what data scientists do ?

how to become a data scientist

in the second week you will know about data science's topics such as big data, data mining , machine learning and neural networks

in the third week you will things about data science in the business

By Yash S W

Apr 16, 2020

Excellent quality content! It's a great introductory course that really gets you interested in Data Science. I would highly recommend it to anyone curious about learning about what Data Science is about. Very learning experience, I am a beginner in DS, but the instructors in this course simplified the contents that made me I could easily understand, tools and materials were very helpful to start with.

By AckoGon

Dec 19, 2020

This was an excellent introduction to Data Science, and it was great listening to individuals that are engaged in this field throughout the video series. It effectively placed into perspective the expectations coming into Data Science and the potential for becoming involved in this field. Overall, this was a great first of nine courses delving into Data Science, I can't wait to start the next course!

By SK A F

Aug 20, 2019

I just completed the course, and I am pleased with the material and lecture video. The course is well organized to explain What is data science and who is the data scientist with the responsibility of them. It also has a bit of exercise for IBM Watson. I get the financial aid, and I am very much pleased to COUSERA and IBM both for design this type of unique course and supporting me by financial aid.

By Lipin A

Jun 19, 2019

After completing this course I really understood that I used and done many times all that can be described as Data Science. I can say now that it is necessary for physicians to study data science because there will be great benefits for us while using data science methods.

Thank authors for this course. Now I have even more motivations to learn and get IBM Data Science Professional Certificate.

By James H

Apr 14, 2020

I enjoyed this course. It was an excellent intro to Data Science and gave many options on possible careers using it. Some of the test questions were a little off and were either asked before the material was covered, or were more about the syntax of a reading rather than the content - but it wasn't as if we only had one shot to answer the questions correctly... I would recommend this course

By Tan C K

Aug 30, 2021

The course presents a very good overview of Data Science. It has changed my view about Industry 4.0. My understanding about industry4.0 now is about big data and AI. Connectivity to acquire data is the first step in Industry 4.0. All the data will be stored, analyze using AI to gather insight and make predictions and improvements. I feel that the time spent in the course is very worthwhile.

By Luke M

Apr 21, 2020

If you want a rundown of what Data Science is in today's day and age, I suggest checking out YouTube videos first which have a similar information and are free. However if you want an IBM certificate then go ahead and pay $28 for the course. Also if you do take the course , try to finish it within one month or you'll be charged $28 every month till you complete it, a feature I did not like.

By Migs R

Oct 14, 2020

This was a very great course to introduce the very basic concepts of data science in a very approachable and easy to understand way. It covered topics like how data science is applied in various fields and the qualities that a data scientist would ideally have. I like how the course tries to be as inclusive as possible, welcoming all learners no matter their background and experience level.

By Amy H

Jun 28, 2019

Really great introductory course on data science. It's a good overview of the field, what it involves, the requirements for working in the industry, and tips for succeeding. If you're not sure whether data science is right for you - try this course. The videos were clear and interesting and the quizzes were pretty straightforward - no trick questions, which I've had on other courses before.

By Georgi P

Mar 16, 2019

The best course for getting insight on what is data science - especially if you're new to the subject! The course made me realize that data science is as human as possible as we have been data scientists since the dawn of time. Because at the end the ability to recognize patterns and make actionable decisions based on them is the trait that distinguishes us from all other species on Earth.

By Adegbuyi M A

Dec 9, 2021

T​he presentation in this course is superb as it prepares your mind into what Data Science really is. If you can grasp what is presented, you'll be a successful data scientist. So, pay close attention to the presentaions as they are most crucial to what you will learn in the weeks ahead regardless of your goal path.

I​ appreciate all coordinators' time and effort in completing this course.

By Gabriel M

First time listening to the two academics break down the What, the Where and the Why of data Science and how it has evolved. Its been helpful for me to think about what I really want to do with the skills I will learn and most importantly which tools are important for my choice of career; you can't just learn all the tools. Hope the other sections are as interesting as this one has been.

By Osho T

Jan 10, 2020

it's very informative course, and will definitely clear your most of the doubts regarding the subject of data science and you'll get a brief but highly effective explanation about the entire field of data science. trust me you would love the way they'll put all the course and info in your head without you even knowing as if you're learning something new. Good Luck guys, happy learning!

By Abdel K

Nov 1, 2021

The course was very effective in conveying to me what a data scientist is, how data science is becoming more important, what is required of data scientists, how people end up becoming data scientists, how data scientists spend their working days, and so much more from several different individuals who all contribute to providing a comprehensive understanding of what the field is about.

By Neha V

Aug 9, 2020

Honestly, When I enrolled and started with this course, I was really skeptical about it but as soon as the lessons unfolded, I enjoyed it, understood it, specially the sections with Dr. White and Prof. Murtuza Haider. Both of them had a remarkable influence in clarifying my doubts as opting for Data Science as career choice. Yeah, Investing Time and Effort here had been truly worth it.

By Eman A

Apr 12, 2020

It covers all the basics that need to be covered regarding Data Science and knowledge, and the skills need by data scientists. What I really like most is the reading sections where it covers valuable information about data science and its documentation. However, if you do not want too much theory you can go for "Applied Data science certificate"

All the best in your learning journey.

By ABHIJIT S

Good Day

I am personally thankful and grateful for this opportunity .

Thanks and Warm Regards.

Whatsapp : + 91 8017648297

+ 91 6290750012

By Cassie G

Apr 15, 2021

This one seemed pretty easy. I think no matter your skill level this is a great course to figure out if data science is right for you and where you might want to go in data science. It gave a nice overview of uses, mapping out the different areas of data science, and helping you understand the social skills needed. They also review general reporting structure, which is good review.

By Steven A F

Jun 26, 2020

This course provided a great introduction to what a data scientist needs to do in the process of performing their everyday on the job activities. A data scientist needs to be able to communicate clearly with passion as much as being good technically. I had not thought about that too much before this class. The class flow of concepts proceeds at a comprehendible pace. I enjoyed it.