Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

SB
Sep 9, 2019

Very learning experience, I am a beginner in DS, but the instructors in this course simplified the contents that made me I could easily understand, tools and materials were very helpful to start with.

MG
Jun 26, 2020

I throughly enjoyed the course and the fact that everything was explained thoroughly. I always enjoyed Dr. White's personal experience with Data Science as well as other Data Scientists point of view.

201 - 225 of 9,780 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By Jakub M

Feb 5, 2020

The course is a very pleasant introduction to the field of data science. Don't expect too much coding or theory - the goal of this course is to let you grasp the basic concepts and ways of thinking.

I already have some experience in data science, but gained more than expected here!

(HOWEVER, the next two courses in this certificate - not on par with this one).

By Silke K

Sep 28, 2018

I am very satisfied with the quality of the videos, which are basically interviews, in two ways: The content of the interviewees was excellent - to the point, well spoken. The quality of the sound was also excellent. Overall, this is a very helpful basic course that everyone who starts in, or is already involved with, the field of data science should review.

By Nora W

Jan 24, 2020

I liked that you have people from different professional backgrounds provide their definition of Data Science. It makes me feel good about what I am doing, because I studied to become a lawyer, and I found out recently that I am good at analyzing data so I decided to start a career now in Data Science. Thank you to everyone that made this training possible!

By Kat J

Feb 15, 2021

This is a well developed and paced course that presents the basics of Data Science and its purpose in our modern world. I highly recommend this course to everyone that is embarking on their first journey through Data Science. It provides a strong foundation to fully understand what is Data Science, its components and significant use across all industries.

By Shaariq K

May 5, 2020

As someone looking to change careers, I felt this was a great introduction for me to better understand data science as an industry and profession. It solidified my interest to continue to pursue this path as I discovered that many of my strengths which have made me successful thus far can apply to this field as well once I develop the technical knowledge.

By Aseel

Nov 14, 2019

Two words; clear and concise. I cannot emphasize how the clarity and straightforwardness of the provided materials are the highlight of my review. Introducing Data Science in plain English? I’m all ears! I am excited to continue the remaining courses in the Data Science Professional Certificate. Thank you to all that helped produce this outstanding course.

By Qazi M H

Jul 24, 2020

This course has increased the knowledge with very basics and real examples from different industries who they are applying the Data tools to improve the services.

It has also made huge impact on how important the Data is no matter how old and huge the data is. The right tools/programs should be used to analyze the data in structured way.

Highly recommended.

By Qudsia L

Mar 21, 2019

Really liked it. It was meaningful information that gave a holistic image of the field. The quizzes helped focus on retaining information. For the final open question assessment, it would be good to have a suggested length of response. I feel bad for the people who would have to read through my essay about who is a data scientist and what is data science.

By Anthony S

Sep 16, 2020

My only complaint is that I had to repeat some of the information when time passed by in that I wasn't progressing in the course for over a month. I redid some of the material to be able to continue. I reached out about it because it seemed like my prior work history was lost, for example, tests. Otherwise, the course material was a good introductory.

By teja k

Apr 21, 2020

Actually my university take every student to industry for industrial visit. There every industrial expert will share there experiences and also guide us how to do and solve problems.

In the same way, In this course I felt like interacting with Industrial experts and I learned so much basics in this coarse.

This course must deserve 5 STAR Rating.

Thank You!

By Maulik M

Mar 25, 2021

The greatest things were - simplicity, the interview formats and in particular Prof White and Prof Murtuza. The animation and slides for this course were great.

There was just sufficient repitition in the course as well to ensure appropriate learning takes place.

Thanks to the whole team that put this course together for novices exploring DS as a topic.

By Arlex A R

Excelente curso, me ha permitido entusiasmarme bastante con lograr esta certificación y conocer la infinidad de aplicaciones de las ciencias de datos en cualquier profesión, particularmente en mi trabajo como Auditor Corporativo de una multinacional. Creo que me abrirá nuevas puertas estas habilidades de este curso y las que adquiriré en los próximos.

By Ekaterina S

Nov 26, 2021

This course is exactly what I expected or even more. I liked the structure and content. I finished this course in four days because it's interesting and exciting. Now I have a clear picture of what is Data Science and what Data Scientists do. It's the first course of my IBM Data Science Certificate, and I'm happy to begin the next one right today.

By Devika K

Dec 27, 2019

As an absolute beginner, it was a great experience going through the videos and content. It did address many of the questions I myself had. It may be too basic for someone who knows some data science, but as for me, I really enjoyed it. It's an introductory course after all, it does set the context well in a way that is easy for a layman to follow.

By Robert B B J

Apr 21, 2020

A good introduction to Data Science that highly focuses on the insights of experience professionals and some from academia with their holistic view of the topic by encompassing it on their nature of work they are currently inclined to.

Also, the several concepts and methods of Data Science mentioned on this introductory course is beginner friendly.

By Oluwaseun O A

Jan 19, 2021

I have learnt and gathered a lot of information about data science, big data and interested in machine learning. This course has piqued my interest and put me on the verge to study more and get exclusive knowledge on everything DATA SCIENCE. My love for this course has grew and I'm ready for career shift into Data Science & Business Analytics.

By ARIF A

Sep 23, 2020

The course is designed in such a way that it lifts you up from 0 to 100, I recently turned to the data science field but had no clue about what it actually is, but thanks to this course by IBM and Coursera that I can say my journey for data science has started with a pretty strong grip on my basics. Once again thanks Coursera and thanks to IBM.

By José L B G

Apr 21, 2020

Before learning the tools (Python, R, Hadoop, SQL, etc...), machine learning models, data visualization techniques and more, it is important to see the big picture of data science. This course gives you that needed introduction to data science. It may skip it, however, if you want to dive directly to the fun part of actually doing data science.

By Chuck T H L

May 7, 2020

I thought I knew what data scientist or data science means. However, after learning from this course, I have a whole new definition of these two terms. I'm glad I was able to learn something new even though most of materials are videos and articles. I look forward to start doing some hands-on learning in the other three quarters of the course!

By Clarence E Y

Dec 13, 2018

This course provides a good foundation for understanding what data science is and what roles data scientists play in the modern business environment. The presentations are well structured and interesting.

The instructor provides a sound recommendation for writing a final report that aligns with general academic guidelines at the graduate level.

By Farzane A

Sep 29, 2021

Over the past few years, people used to apply statistic to focus on a specific problem and solve it. But since 2012, they found a field as data Science that got a lot to offer. Data science is a best way to uncover the insights and trends that are hiding behind data ,so if you want to apply it, you should know its process as a data scientist.

By Marc R

Dec 19, 2020

Good introduction that synthesizes well what is Data Science and what is takes to be a Data Scientist.

I'm looking forward to the next course. It would be nice to have direct recommendation for next course once this one is completed, maybe based on a simple quizz and the related answers to better orientated the respondent.

Thank you Coursera!

By Jacqui T

Feb 7, 2020

Nice way for a newbie to ease into the subject area. Compelling professors and students were used; made for enjoyable viewing. Unfortunately the IBM Watson 'detour' didn't work as well for me, but I assume there will be other chances to use such tools. Peer reviewing was also well-organised; the rubrics made the process straight-forward.

By chandradutt p

Apr 14, 2020

i am get this course for free using finencial aid application. first of all thanks to coursera team and IBM team to give me free this course. i was complete this course recently. and This course is very best and teaching faculty are best. and most part is that the given examples very easy to understand.

I love this course. Thanks coursera.

By Nazmus S E

Mar 18, 2020

It is an excellent introduction to Data Science. Before starting this course, all I thought data science to be just a fancy name for Machine Learning. But after completing this course, I have come to realize that Data Science is completely different than Machine Learning. I have come to learn the many application areas of Machine Learning.