Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

MG
Jun 26, 2020

I throughly enjoyed the course and the fact that everything was explained thoroughly. I always enjoyed Dr. White's personal experience with Data Science as well as other Data Scientists point of view.

MS
Sep 17, 2020

very useful. i liked and enjoyed the journey of learning in these five weeks. the instructor is very clear and taught very interestingly. Thanks to her. she looked poised and cheerful and professional

9076 - 9100 of 9,702 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By Grzegorz S

Sep 10, 2019

This is not really a course -> rather some videos about what Data Science is. So if you are looking for some knowledge (for which I believe we in Coursera do) just watch it through.

By Eepsita S A

Oct 28, 2019

The course was very informative.

The time sensitive locks on the teaching material were very inconvenient and should have been relayed to the student before enrollment.

Thankyou

By Kris K

Dec 13, 2018

Several English and grammatical problems in the questions and quizzes. This made it confusing at times. Also, some of the questions to the videos need to be reviewed for errors.

By Sheen D

Jul 25, 2019

Not sure what is the purpose of this course... just to read articles about definition of data science or data scientist? Or something about the sexist job of the 21st century?

By Pavel P

Aug 25, 2019

Very good for start. On the other hand topic could be said in shorter way. But it is subjective. Therefore I can recommend with this course your journey through data science.

By S. U

Apr 16, 2020

A decent overview of the field of data science and the type of work involved. Not at all academically challenging, but a reasonably interesting, short intro to the subject.

By Sebastian D R

Apr 13, 2020

The course is very basic and is not taught in the most efficient way, it's very theoretical and does not provide very detailed examples of what data scientist really do

By Oliver H

Mar 2, 2019

Needs to be updated to match the online environments used. Quite confusing when you have to really struggle to find the right section of Watson and nearly put me off.

By Karolina V

Sep 27, 2018

Nicely done, but it could be more condensed. I would be unsatisfied I was paying just for this course, but probably good introductory for the rest. Maybe too general.

By Tyler G

Jan 27, 2020

Great to hear from professors, but not helpful to hear from random students. I discount their opinions out of hand, they are not experts, so it's just distracting

By Hugh B

Jul 5, 2020

Did not think this much background was needed. I would argue only 30% of the video material was necessary. However, it still informed me of what data science is.

By Anokh P

Sep 25, 2019

solid for beginners, but a little buzzwordy and some of the questions/answers felt cheap and based on memorizing what was said instead of applying new knowledge

By PETER M

Apr 8, 2021

Its a theoratical course, i had earlier thought it would be a practical one but still am excited to know the background information of data science as a whole.

By Riccardo R

Nov 30, 2019

Good to give you an idea of what data science is but nothing really that you can't find elsewhere. It's a nice set of video lecturer, interesting conceptually.

By Shannon G

Sep 1, 2018

Good intro course, however, I'm already familiar with what Data Science is - was looking for more of skills/tools required to move into the Data Science field.

By Julian W

Jan 20, 2020

Der Kurs bietet eine solide,theoretische Grundlage allerdings fehlen mir praktische Beispiele. Teilweise wurde mir zu oberflächlich über das Thema gesprochen.

By Ahmed Y S M

Jun 3, 2020

I like how it was demonstrated and structured. I faced one problem using the IBM VR lab as it said, this lab is not available for my region. I stay in Qatar.

By Nishant A S

The course does not provide in depth information about data science

Teaching pattern was good

No practical assignment is given to students to analyze data.

By Ida M P

May 13, 2020

Good introduction, but some of the course content is a little subjective and some of the interviews and videos were pretty redundant and repeated themselves.

By Sameer P

Mar 29, 2020

This course is good a lot of application of Data science were tought in videos. The program is about to increase the basic knowledge of the Data science.

By Anya B

Jan 26, 2020

Not much meat, however an intro to Data science is important, so I do appreciate this light (in terms of technical content) introduction to Data Science.

By Robert K

Jul 22, 2019

I guess it is a generally good start, but I did not really learn anything that I would consider a "hireable" skill. I need something much more technical.

By Anandu R

Dec 21, 2019

Too long an introductory course, perhaps It could've been made more concise and short. But it was a great course nevertheless and serves it's purpose

By Liujian W

Feb 16, 2019

I really don't like the assignment that asks people to do peer-reviewing. It is a big data course, how about letting it grade my assignments please?