Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

SB
Sep 9, 2019

Very learning experience, I am a beginner in DS, but the instructors in this course simplified the contents that made me I could easily understand, tools and materials were very helpful to start with.

MG
Jun 26, 2020

I throughly enjoyed the course and the fact that everything was explained thoroughly. I always enjoyed Dr. White's personal experience with Data Science as well as other Data Scientists point of view.

9451 - 9475 of 9,780 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By NITYANAND R

Jun 1, 2020

really very it is very basic thing to understand, what is data science, but it has been very lengthy process to understand this and unnecessarily time was engaged on IBM Cloud Platform, a person who's going to pursue the entire course will definitely use the tools but to introduce the field it should be very short and precise thing

By Lawrence L

Jul 14, 2019

While I appreciate the talks given by these experts, the way this content was spread out with very little substance was demotivating for me and not an efficient use of time, in my opinion.

It could be much more concise.

I liked the final assignment as a recap and way to interact with my classmates.

By Luigi d M N

May 9, 2020

The course offers some key definitions for what regards data science. The learner should not expect to understand more than just a list of new words related to the topic. The videos and reading material are moderately entertaining and the assessment strategy is excessively straightforward.

By Guillaume T

Feb 24, 2020

The course consists mostly of generalities and has unfortunately nearly no examples.

Showing a data science project with the difference phases of a project would have been great: problem formulation, data collection, data exploration, analysis, visualization, report preparation, etc.

By Max

Jan 27, 2020

Strange timings. Supposed to be 3-weeks course, but could be beaten in one evening. Also, it was not very informative. However, there was useful stuff such as report requirements. Hope, next courses will be more useful in terms of boosting my skills as data scientist.

By Ainsley S

Mar 9, 2021

Maybe consider renaming the course to include something along the lines of "introduction to" or "basics of." I expected meatier information and found very little value exchange for my time. It makes me questions what value would come out of a paid course

By Evangelos P

Jun 5, 2021

It does provide a good overview, but the whole peer review thing is a negative and questions are based on specific knowledge pieces that are not relevant to the topic. E.g. knowing that xyz person worked at yz company should not be a test question...

By Julie L

Oct 25, 2019

This course is for people with ZERO experience in data science. If you've never used a computer before, or have been hiding under a rock for the past two decades, then this is the course for you.

Otherwise, save your money and avoid it.

By Aleksandr S

Oct 25, 2020

Generally useless pile of videos explaining basic stuff about data science without saying anything useful. Final assignment was a total joke focused only on one particularly uninteresting and not-so-relevant topic. Very disappointed

By Muhammad S

Aug 9, 2020

I finished all three weeks did all the quizzes and even delivered my final assignment of week 3... and suddenly i lost the progress of the first 2 weeks!!! How is that!?!?!?!?

I had to redo the quizzes again to gain the certificate

By Olivia

Feb 7, 2021

This course is quite honestly not worth the money spent. It's such a high level overview of "data science." The topics covered in this course are quite literally what would be covered solely on Day 1 of a real college course.

By Grace B

Sep 17, 2019

I felt this course could have been a lot shorter. The reading were okay but it seemed like a lot of fluff and not so much information. Really, it can be summed up in maybe 15 minutes of videos and the 4 short readings.

By Ricardo A S

Jan 4, 2022

not really useful course, too general, just opinions on what data science is and no hands on experience with anything, just listening to some thoughts about data science and quizzes about what others said/think.

By Barry A

Sep 12, 2021

I am unable to verify my account. My camera quality is perfect but for some reason the photos are not clear enough when uploading through your interface. I suggest you add feature to add photo though gallery.

By Bob D

Sep 14, 2021

Fairly weak material that was presented in an amateurish way. The assignments were often irrelevant and occasionally even incoherent. This did not feel like it had been compiled by professional educators.

By Daniel B

Apr 22, 2020

The amount of structure and formality is not in keeping with the quantity of practical knowledge and skills i'm walking away with. Hoping that the course accelerates a LOT or I'll probably look elsewhere.

By Muthumari

Feb 17, 2021

This course is totally theoretical and no hands-on available.

Mostly this course cover the personal experience of the data scientist.

Three weeks form this course of no use.

Please try to give more details.

By Catherine P

Sep 15, 2020

I feel like I learned a few things but I could have learned all of those in a half hour video rather than a full course. The course also felt like an ad for data science and IBM more so than a course.

By auden w

Jul 22, 2020

The course videos and readings were interesting but passing the course is not worth your time. The quizzes and final project are only focused on restating what you read, making the class unchallenging

By Adam P

Mar 23, 2020

An okay introduction to what data science means and to careers in the field, but basically nothing in the way of skills provided. Hopefully the other courses in the series will provide more of that.

By Matthew C

Jun 2, 2021

Too basic, content could be covered in a single introductory lecture. The quizzes mostly tested arbitrary stuff from the videos. Maybe OK for somebody who had never heard the term data science.

By Steven P M

May 22, 2018

Introduction with a capital I. In the final assignment they've asked the students to describe things like "The Table of Contents" and "The Executive Summary". Really? Are you kidding me...

By Sanket p

Nov 19, 2019

The Course provides just very basic introduction to the topic which in my view every applicant must be knowing about.

One good thing was to hear from the professors and others in the field.

By Michael K

Apr 1, 2019

This course seemed more like marketing for data science. I will reserve judgement for later courses, but there is nothing interesting or useful from this first leg of this specialization.

By Trent C

Feb 11, 2020

This course was essentially wikipedia entry level of information. Feels like this was included to increase the amount of time you spend on the course overall, therefore paying more money.