Back to What is news?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is news? by Michigan State University

This course will guide you through the basic elements of professional journalism and the news values and ethics of covering real-world issues and events. The overview and examples of the types of news coverage helps introduce the different types of journalism, such as social media, multimedia, print, visual and broadcast, and how professional journalists effectively use each format....

AG
Apr 26, 2020

Very good because it is taught about all the basics of journalists. Various case studies also train me to be able to think more with the mindset of a journalist. I highly recommend this class.

DS
Jun 7, 2020

I really enjoyed learning all of the different parts dealing with Journalism. I thought that the videos and the light reading made for a great learning experience. Thanks, Denise Shannon.

226 - 250 of 276 Reviews for What is news?

By Farah S K

Jul 19, 2016

The course is great for beginners into the filed of learning to be reporting. I am happy i signed up for it though it was a bad time at work to focus on the course but I did. I look forward to completing the remaining courses required for specialisation. Thankyou coursera and the Michigan State University for the opportunity.

By Tanmay S P

Jul 12, 2020

Thanks to Michigan State University faculty members and Coursera for this specialization course on journalism. This course will test your journalistic ethics, integrity, credibility, and decision-making at every step. I look forward to completing many such exciting courses on journalism in the coming weeks.

By Kalaiarasan S

Jan 15, 2018

'What is news?' is a part of course of Become a Journalist: Report the News! The traveling through this first course is good easy. Not too much of pressure and burden. It will be good for participants to have multi-way thinking ability to know practical answers whenever doing quizzes and assignments.

By Berkay E

Apr 16, 2021

It was a very benefical course for every student who studies Journalism or for the people who works as a journalist. However, what was taught was very basic. So I would like to have more practical training or study more examples from any kind of journalism.

By lalith v s k

The Course Videos and Language is very easy to understand. The Way Of Teaching and what is need to student, they can teach to us (this is best way to teach in online).Lectures are deep into the concept .Finally than you for the lecture and course.

By vanshika

Apr 18, 2020

The course met my expectations and was much better in fact. It was informative and opened several new doors to Journalism. I believe this will be a great stepping stone for my career and thank Michigan State for granting me this opportunity.

By Shrijita B

Feb 11, 2016

I am still taking this course and I am really excited to take the other courses in the specialization. The topics are covered with in- depth analysis and I am very much satisfied with course content.

By Margaret C

Feb 27, 2021

I learned a lot about news I didn't know before I started and that was my goal. I don't agree with peer review process it lacks the expertise of the faculty whom we are learning from.

By Kwame S

Jun 15, 2018

Material is great, and have submitted everything early. Just waiting to be peer reviewed and have people to peer review so I can finish this module completely.

By Muhammad H E M

Feb 15, 2021

very good course to start with journalism career and also there are terms and things I learned here and didn't learn yet in a mass of communication faculty

By Leon R

Aug 1, 2018

I enjoyed this course. As I stated in my review of the second course, the instructors need to make sure the prompts for the peer-graded assignments match.

By Moosa M

Aug 28, 2020

It is very effective and introduces news media in a very easy to understand way. The ethics covered here are fundamental for any journalist.

By Daniel A

Apr 6, 2016

A great place to start for blossoming journalists. This will teach you basic skills that you utilize many times in a journalism career.

By aman g

Apr 4, 2016

Awesome course on ethics of journalism and also describes how to gain the TRP news channel or websites etc. sensationalize the news

By Marytha T

Jul 13, 2020

I have always dreamt to be a journalist. This intro course really helped me to understand journalism in a more comprehensive way!

By Dan M

Sep 9, 2018

This course would be a little underwhelming on its own, but it works great as an introduction to the 5 course series.

By Maysaa A

Feb 5, 2017

very engaging, and has shown me that credible content and engaging content do not have to be seperte from each other.

By Asil A

Sep 16, 2016

The course is quite interesting, but I have not given it a 5 star because the quality of some videos is very poor.

By Jeronne d V

Nov 30, 2020

Very competent, prepared personnel. Gives a good mini-glimpse of the profession and provides unique insights.

By Jeremy A

Jul 11, 2018

A nice overview of journalism's purpose, highlighting the tasks and hurdles involved in reporting the news.

By 张骞予

Mar 26, 2020

This is a basic theory course of journalism. The teachers are very nice, and very clear explanation.

By Chu X

Nov 4, 2019

It is hard to finish the homework of reviewing works , because the amount is really small.

By Tanica c

Mar 10, 2021

As much as it was a lot of reading i also learnt a lot and was challenged quite a bit.

By Tomelilla G

Apr 27, 2020

Great starting point to get a taste of what the journalistic world has to offer.

By Zoe D

Feb 22, 2017

Well structured course and excellent distribution of content and variety.