Back to Wonders of Ancient Egypt

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Wonders of Ancient Egypt by University of Pennsylvania

Colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated people over the millennia. The Bible refers to its gods, rulers, and pyramids. Neighboring cultures in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean wrote about its god-like kings and its seemingly endless supply of gold. The Greeks and Romans describe aspects of Egypt's culture and history. As the 19th century began, the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt highlighted the wonders of this ancient land, and public interest soared. Not long after, Champollion deciphered Egypt's hieroglyphs and paved the way for other scholars to reveal that Egyptian texts dealt with medicine, dentistry, veterinary practices, mathematics, literature, and accounting, and many other topics. Then, early in the 20th century, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun and its fabulous contents. Exhibitions of this treasure a few decades later resulted in the world's first blockbuster, and its revival in the 21st century has kept interest alive. Join Dr. David Silverman, Professor of Egyptology at Penn, Curator in Charge of the Egyptian Section of the Penn Museum, and curator of the Tutankhamun exhibitions on a guided tour of the mysteries and wonders of this ancient land. He has developed this online course and set it in the galleries of the world famous Penn Museum. He uses many original Egyptian artifacts to illustrate his lectures as he guides students as they make their own discovery of this fascinating culture. This course focused on five key areas in the study of Ancient Egypt: 1) Principles of Egyptian Art, 2) The Basics of the Language of Ancient Egypt: Hieroglyphs, 3) Egyptian Magic, 4) Akhenaten, Tutankhamun, and the Religion of the Aten, and 5) The Burial of Tutankhamun and the Search for his Tomb. This course is intended to accompany, and ideally to follow, Introduction to Ancient Egypt (also available on Coursera)....

VE

Jul 11, 2020

This was an incredibly detailed course that provided an in-depth and interesting view of ancient Egypt. I would highly recommend this as an essential course for those interested in Egypt's history.

MR

Mar 02, 2020

Love this course! I've been obsessed with Egyptology my whole life and after taking both of Dr. Silverman's courses I feel I have a much greater understanding of the mystic civilization!

76 - 100 of 188 Reviews for Wonders of Ancient Egypt

By PhantomDuck1980

Nov 07, 2017

An exellent learnig experiece. I definately recomment it to everyone who adores Egyptology!

By Nelly M C C

Mar 18, 2018

A fascinating course. It was a fine sequel to the previous course. I highly recommend it.

By STELLA M F B

Nov 03, 2018

es un curso exelente pues a pesar de ser en ingles me fue facil comprender y aprender

By Bruna F P

Great course! It was truly great to be able to join in it! Thanks to all involved!

By Therese M M

Aug 16, 2019

I want more courses of ancient Egypt and other ancient civilizations!!!! Please!!!

By Monica G

Mar 21, 2020

I absolutely loved this course. Well explained and really easy to understand!!!

By Lora H

Apr 04, 2020

Learned something new about Egypt and that's good enough for 5 stars for me.

By Sam R

Apr 18, 2020

a wonderful class, lad by an inspiring and captivating teacher and scholar.

By Thùy P

May 22, 2019

I can learn more exciting knowledge about Ancient Egypt. I Love this course

By Guilherme I D

Jan 10, 2018

A really nice course! I was very happy to learn more about ancient egypt.

By Alicia L C

Apr 12, 2020

Fantastic! I have learnt a lot thanks of this course in an ejoyable way

By Johane M

May 22, 2020

Very interesting and plenty of infos I didn't have from other classes.

By Michelle D

Jun 17, 2018

Great course, very informative, I just wish there were more free ones!

By Lisa L

Mar 20, 2018

very fun and informative course !! thank you for making it available!!

By Irina S

Oct 13, 2019

Thank you so much, it was a lot of fun! I really loved this course :)

By Carlos A G P

Jun 07, 2020

Excelente course, Dr. Silverman explains everything in great detail!

By Abbie M

May 15, 2020

A wonderful in depth look in the the lives of the Ancient Egyptians.

By Janet B

Jan 12, 2020

Great course with lots of material and visuals from the Penn Museum.

By Lina K

Sep 06, 2019

it is very useful and wonderful course , thank you so much courseera

By Susan M

May 11, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and would like to learn much more

By Hérlon R B

Jan 31, 2020

Agradável e flexível. Farei outros cursos com certeza. Recomendo.

By Marcela R V

Mar 05, 2019

A very complete course, I learned new things, excellent teacher.

By kouassi n c

Nov 11, 2017

très bon cours facile à étudier et à comprendre je le recommande