Back to Wonders of Ancient Egypt

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Wonders of Ancient Egypt by University of Pennsylvania

Colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated people over the millennia. The Bible refers to its gods, rulers, and pyramids. Neighboring cultures in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean wrote about its god-like kings and its seemingly endless supply of gold. The Greeks and Romans describe aspects of Egypt's culture and history. As the 19th century began, the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt highlighted the wonders of this ancient land, and public interest soared. Not long after, Champollion deciphered Egypt's hieroglyphs and paved the way for other scholars to reveal that Egyptian texts dealt with medicine, dentistry, veterinary practices, mathematics, literature, and accounting, and many other topics. Then, early in the 20th century, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun and its fabulous contents. Exhibitions of this treasure a few decades later resulted in the world's first blockbuster, and its revival in the 21st century has kept interest alive. Join Dr. David Silverman, Professor of Egyptology at Penn, Curator in Charge of the Egyptian Section of the Penn Museum, and curator of the Tutankhamun exhibitions on a guided tour of the mysteries and wonders of this ancient land. He has developed this online course and set it in the galleries of the world famous Penn Museum. He uses many original Egyptian artifacts to illustrate his lectures as he guides students as they make their own discovery of this fascinating culture. This course focused on five key areas in the study of Ancient Egypt: 1) Principles of Egyptian Art, 2) The Basics of the Language of Ancient Egypt: Hieroglyphs, 3) Egyptian Magic, 4) Akhenaten, Tutankhamun, and the Religion of the Aten, and 5) The Burial of Tutankhamun and the Search for his Tomb. This course is intended to accompany, and ideally to follow, Introduction to Ancient Egypt (also available on Coursera)....

VE
Jul 10, 2020

This was an incredibly detailed course that provided an in-depth and interesting view of ancient Egypt. I would highly recommend this as an essential course for those interested in Egypt's history.

MM
Sep 25, 2020

I really enjoyed the history of Ancient Egypt. I have viewed the treasures of Tutankhamun twice. This class gave me a more in depth view of the culture and the art of Ancient Egypt. Thank you.

76 - 100 of 212 Reviews for Wonders of Ancient Egypt

By Katie H

Jan 3, 2020

I learned a lot in this course. Egypt has lots of interesting things to study. Highly recommend this course.

By Joyce G A

Jul 15, 2020

excellent course, its my first time learning online and I learned a lot. Ancient Egypt is truly amazing!

By Vojtěch K

Jun 12, 2019

Very good course about Ancient Egypt and a nice follow-up on the Introduction course with Mr. Silverman!

By Atoosa

Dec 18, 2019

Great course.

Did not disappoint!

Loved the numerous museum pictures with detailed explanation.

By Andrea M

Oct 11, 2020

Eu achei o curso muito interessante e superou minhas expectativas, muito obrigado pela oportunidade.

By Ellie

Nov 11, 2019

It was a fun course to experience and it showed me a different view on the ancient egyptian culture

By elodie r

Oct 14, 2020

So interesting I loved it, I did the course in 2 days. I love Egypt culture and I learnt so much

By Manal K

Jan 1, 2020

Clear , concise and loaded with information yet not dull at all.

Thank you , enjoyed every minute.

By Sven S

Dec 29, 2017

This is really a great course. Very interesting topics and beautiful materials. I learned a lot.

By Dararat K

Dec 3, 2017

Thank you so much for this wonderful course. I'm looking forward to next chapter of Egyptology.

By Carrie L M

Jan 28, 2018

Great course! So informative and I love the presentation of the material. Thank you so much!!!

By Aaman L

Nov 2, 2018

A masterful exposition of art, culture, writing, magic and the complexity of the 18th dynasty

By Daisy N

A really interesting course, well presented and informative. I recommend taking this course.

By Kiara M M R

Jan 19, 2019

Me encanta. Estoy aprendiendo mucho sobre la escritura en el Antiguo Egipto. Lo recomiendo.

By PhantomDuck1980

Nov 7, 2017

An exellent learnig experiece. I definately recomment it to everyone who adores Egyptology!

By Nelly M C C

Mar 18, 2018

A fascinating course. It was a fine sequel to the previous course. I highly recommend it.

By STELLA M F B

Nov 3, 2018

es un curso exelente pues a pesar de ser en ingles me fue facil comprender y aprender

By Bruna F P

Great course! It was truly great to be able to join in it! Thanks to all involved!

By Therese M M

Aug 16, 2019

I want more courses of ancient Egypt and other ancient civilizations!!!! Please!!!

By Monica G

Mar 20, 2020

I absolutely loved this course. Well explained and really easy to understand!!!

By Lora H

Apr 3, 2020

Learned something new about Egypt and that's good enough for 5 stars for me.

By Sam R

Apr 18, 2020

a wonderful class, lad by an inspiring and captivating teacher and scholar.

By Thùy P