Back to Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest by Commonwealth Education Trust

This course is for curious students and aspiring authors with a passion for writing for young readers. Participate in a dynamic online community of writers as you experiment with your own writing and develop your voice. This course will guide you with a combination of video lectures, online readings, peer reviews, and guest appearances from world-renowned children’s authors. As you work through the writing exercises, you will give and receive feedback from your peers and gain tools and techniques for improving your writing. During this course you will identify stories that matter to you, explore cultural significance and boundaries, and shape your identity as a writer; become familiar with standard elements of narrative (character, setting, plot, theme, language, dialogue, point of view); reflect on your own work and practice essential self-editing skills; see the different ways in which words and art interact, and the possibilities of longer narrative forms; come away with practical insights into publishing options; and create a plan for pursuing your enthusiasm for writing. By the end of the course, you will have ten to twelve extracts of writing that you can develop into a portfolio. Join a dynamic community of many voices from around the world. Find inspiration in your own voice, heart, and place so that you can tell the stories for young readers you’ve always wanted to tell....

DB
Feb 6, 2016

I am a beginner wantabee author and publisher, first steps are elementary, as I need. Self paced, life can get in the way. Instructors are wonderful, as are the guest speakers and interviewees Thanks.

FO
Jul 16, 2017

This course introduces writing in an easy to understand way. The interviews with published authors are very insightful as well. The exercises are a great avenue to practice what the Mooc instruct

51 - 75 of 446 Reviews for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

By Maricruz I

Mar 28, 2018

Me encantó el curso, porque pude aprender mucho de un tema que me interesa mucho, en tan solo cuatro semanas. Siento no haber pagado el curso para obtener el certificado. ¿Todavía podría hacerlo?. De ser así, me gustaría intentarlo.

Felicidades por tan buen curso y Gracias por la oportunidad.

By Evgenia M

Jun 3, 2020

A magnificent course, I really did enjoy it very much! Instructors were on point and I learnt useful things that I needed. Definitely would love to continue learning on this field and would love for this course to had a second part! Moreover, guest speakers are incredible and so inspiring!

By Yaza W

Feb 12, 2021

The course covered several points that could apply to any kind of writing. The assignments were a very good starting point. Also the interviews with other writers presented different point of view of writing and writing styles. I am very glad I took this course, it is very recommended.

By Eva Ž

Aug 23, 2015

I loved this course. It was the first course where you need to interact with other course takers. I love it that you give feedback to each other. And the teachers are great. The lesions are simple, very clear and helpful. For me the way of teaching and teachers capture my attention.

By Freda

Mar 14, 2016

I really appreciate being able to do this course for free. It is by far the best course I have done in Coursera yet. The content is great and very well planned. So much to get your inspiration from and qualified to teachers to guide you along the way. What more can one ask for?

By Nancy M

Feb 14, 2021

The experience was beyond all my expectations. It was wonderful in all aspects. The pace was great, the teachers are very experiences, the guests speakers were inspiring and the course content is absolutely rich and worthy of the course. Thanks for this great experience.

By LerDon B

Sep 10, 2017

If you are an aspiring writer, for any genre, then this course is for you! It is detailed, relevant and enjoyable. The content was engaging and inspiring. I learnt so much and have gained so much confidence, in writing skills. Thank you for such an excellent presentation.

By Vikash A

Aug 28, 2015

This is a great course that shows a path to those who want to get into writing. I enjoyed learning and the best part was the interviews with different authors across different countries. I will look forward to another courses with commonwealth education trust. Thank you.

By Paula J F

Nov 18, 2020

This class taught me so much! Great information from a variety of authors. It covered all the basics of creative writing to publishing. I am taking a more advanced class now but have started a fantasy book series for young adults. Highly recommend this class!

By Tricia C J

Mar 17, 2016

This is such an amazing course! It really opened my eyes to the fact that writing isn't just putting your ideas in words, it's much more than that, and it's really enlightening and helpful! Thank you so much for all the work that you've put into this course!

By KAREN L

Mar 6, 2017

"Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest" was great! I actually completed a children's book text during the course, and created chapters and framework for another. Classmates also gave great feedback. You get out of it what you put into it.

By Evgenia S

Nov 7, 2015

It so great that now we have chances to take part in such interesting and helpful courses. The thing I like most of all in your course is that is collaboration of many people, who have the same passion. It is very important! And it disciplines me a lot!:-)

By Pier C

Apr 29, 2020

Amazing course! I benefit a lot from it. The instructors are extremely professional and share a lot of wisdom. I would recommend this course to anyone that wants to pursue a career in writing or that simple enjoys writing and wants to be better at it.

By Pranjal S

It's a beginner's course and so it suited me perfectly. It's not too demanding and the instructors are great especially David Hill. I could possibly learn from him all day. Opened my eyes to what is available and what is required. Great in every way!

By Jessica R S

May 17, 2018

I really enjoyed this course, especially the last module where we learned about publishing options, there are so many options to choose from! I'll revisit the interviews with guests soon enough, I think those were particulary eye-opening for me.

By Lisabelle T M

Sep 24, 2020

This treasure chest of literary resources is truly gem/jam-packed with a wealth of knowledge and wisdom. I truly appreciate the course as it led me to my first foray into writing for children, young people and those young at heart. Thank you.

By Elke K

Aug 21, 2015

I loved the course. It was very informative and the interviews with authors were very special. I hope there will other courses for writers, new and accomplished, in the future.

Thank you very much for taking time to put the course together.

By Yazhou L

Aug 15, 2015

Very nice course! It makes me finally start writing things instead of reading books about how to do the writing. And it is definately a great course with so many writers' interview and techniques. Reading other's assignments is also great.

By Racha Z

Sep 1, 2015

Learnt a lot, lessons are on video and are extremely articulate so did not miss a word. Teachers are knowledgeable and down to the most important details, hence, the course is not too long, and doesn't take forever to complete. Amazing!

By Zandrew S

Feb 27, 2016

I'm not far into this course, but I believe it will be a great asset to any fledgling writers who want to write for children, or for more experienced writers who want to observe their craft under a new light. Very engaging and helpful.

By Jennifer A O

Sep 8, 2015

Seemingly straightforward, but packed with information. Sometimes it takes two listens to the videos to realize how much is being taught. Valuable information that moved me forward on my quest to be a published children's author.

By Sylvia M

Sep 2, 2017

I found the course very interesting and received some great information to use in my writing. The instructor was very good and the course was easy to follow and very enjoyable. Will certainly keep my eyes open for similar course

By uma m

Jun 12, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course and it has instilled a sense of confidence in me as an aspiring writer .It has helped me learn the ropes and motivated me to write for young readers .Heartfelt thanks to the faculty and the team!

By Sue N

Oct 10, 2016

Very good course which I'd highly recommend to writer beginners and those, like myself, who need to brush up and learn a few more techniques. All the lessons were very useful and the assignments were challenging and interesting

By Angelita V

Aug 23, 2017

I learned a lot from this course. Instructors are very well knowledgeable and experienced. I feel so welcomed and appreciated joining this course. Thank you so much to all who made this course available!

Bests,