Back to Accounting Analytics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Accounting Analytics by University of Pennsylvania

Accounting Analytics explores how financial statement data and non-financial metrics can be linked to financial performance.  In this course, taught by Wharton’s acclaimed accounting professors, you’ll learn how data is used to assess what drives financial performance and to forecast future financial scenarios. While many accounting and financial organizations deliver data, accounting analytics deploys that data to deliver insight, and this course will explore the many areas in which accounting data provides insight into other business areas including consumer behavior predictions, corporate strategy, risk management, optimization, and more. By the end of this course, you’ll understand how financial data and non-financial data interact to forecast events, optimize operations, and determine strategy. This course has been designed to help you make better business decisions about the emerging roles of accounting analytics, so that you can apply what you’ve learned to make your own business decisions and create strategy using financial data. ...

FA
Jun 11, 2018

One of the most practical courses I have taken in Coursera. Highly recommended for professionals in Business, Strategy, and Finance & Accounting departments, as well as stock market investors.

PB
Feb 4, 2016

The course makes accounting interesting and especially the examples are very illustrative. Virtual students bring some fun. The 4th week is however really integrated in the course structure.

326 - 350 of 494 Reviews for Accounting Analytics

Sep 18, 2019

非常棒!

By Kuljeet K

Mar 1, 2017

Good

By 张冬晴

Feb 28, 2016

Aug 1, 2017

F

By Feini L

Mar 5, 2021

This course, compared to the ones before in this BA Specialisation, requires a bit of accounting background knowledge, which Prof. Bushee has made clear in the first week. This could lead to a slow and rough start. But I would say once you take time on yourself, figuring out all these definitions in accounting mentioned in the course, it actually turns out to be a really interesting and informative one. I appreciate those inbetween virtual student comments from Prof. Bushee's videos, making the dry definitions and ratios fun to learn and to think about. Prof. Ittner's week 4 has the logic one needs when looking at a problem.

By Mohammad A

Jan 31, 2020

This course requires solid knowledge in accounting, so should include accounting fundamentals as a prerequisite for this course, I think the plan for BA specialization should take this into future consideration.

In the other hand professors were very good in explaining their material especially Bushee, and it gave me great new insights on how to track earning manipulations, use prediction tools for decision-making etc.

As an introductory course to accounting analytics I think this course was very good but not excellent.

By Vera D

Apr 28, 2020

Good course, requiring some prior knowledge of Accounting. It equipped me with a good knowledge of financial statements analysis and earning management basics. The big data block is not actually about the big data, it still gives you a good overview of how to identify earnings management on a greater scale. I was particularly excited about the correlation between financial and non-financial measures, but it has honestly disappointed me. I found it this block rather theoretical and ill-presented.

By James T

I found Professor Ittner very enjoyable and entertaining. He was animated and smiling why presenting. I liked that a lot. Professor Bushee on the other hand, needs improvement in his presentation. The content was great, however, the delivery of the information needs work. The two major issues 1) He was way too close up to the camera like he was in my face which made it uncomfortable to look at the screen, 2) I felt the animated classroom was a complete waste of time and did nothing for me.

By María d l Á Á P

Nov 14, 2020

I found the lessons to be quite instructive and thorough, but not as clear as expected. I know there must be a level of analysis to correctly identify the what's being asked in the quiz, but the high amount of information in the slides and the presentations, paired with lack of explanation, made it difficult to focus and to comprehend all the material to then take the quiz successfully. However, I was able to learn a lot and it was a great experience overall.

By MUHAMMAD Z N H H

Dec 28, 2020

Week 4 could have been delivered by going beyond the concepts. Professor Ittner did a great work at delivering the theoretical aspects of linking non-financial measures to financial performance, but I believe more spreadsheets and formulas, and a bit less concepts could give the course a "bang for the buck". Overall, I love the course and would probably take another one of Wharton's Business Analytics courses.

By Mahbuba C

May 6, 2020

I really enjoyed the Course and have learned a lot. The lectures given by Professor Brian was really helpful and interesting. I wish I could say the same for Professor Ittner. I think his lecture was a bit too much of information at a stretch. It was helpful but it was a bit difficult to concentrate on it too longer. But overall, I have learned quite a lot and am very satisfied with the course

By Torrey C

May 6, 2018

Pretty tough for the first two sections if you, like me, don't know anything about the basics of accounting or financial statements, but still doable. If you have the time, I do recommend taking an accounting overview first to ground you in basic concepts.

Second two sessions are great for folks like me who already work in what they call "big data" analytics.

By Poorya F

Jul 14, 2017

It is better to have a basic understanding of accounting before you take this course. I was lucky that I'd taken Prof. Bushee's accounting course on coursera before i enrolled this one. Anyhow, I learnt a lot from the course. The last part is like any other course in an MBA program, just talking and reminding about obvious facts!

By Dennis L W

Sep 23, 2016

This is an excellent course, especially for someone with near zero knowledge of financial statements and their analysis. The concepts are clearly presented, with interesting details and supporting examples of their use. The inane comments by cartoon characters using poorly simulated accents is only mildly irritating.

By Vijay R

Oct 21, 2019

Little difficult to follow, but then you cannot expect a non finance/economics guy to understand each term well. I had little knowledge about finance and related areas, but this course made me realize i haven't even breezed over the surface. If you understand this course well, trust me you will do great in this field.