Back to The Addicted Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Addicted Brain by Emory University

This is a course about addiction to drugs and other behaviors. It will describe what happens in the brain and how this information helps us deal with and overcome addiction. It will also discuss other topics such as government policy and our vulnerability to take drugs....

ER

Jul 24, 2020

One of the best course. Before I took up this course I have negative feelings towards the drugs addicts. But this course completely change my behavior and opinions towards them. Thank you so much.

CP

Apr 02, 2018

I learned a lot from this course that I have been able to use in a ministry capacity. If you are trying to help others with addiction or understand it for yourself, this is the course for you.

26 - 50 of 411 Reviews for The Addicted Brain

By Maria W

Aug 19, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. This has given me plenty of material to discuss with friends and family regarding the effects of drug use, not just through description of symptoms, but also being able to describe how drugs affect neurotransmission in the brain. I have a few friends who have struggled with addiction and this has not only opened up an avenue for me to speak to them about addiction but also helped me understand why they continue to relapse into drug and alcohol abuse. Thank you very much for this course - I learned so much!

By Juste E M

Oct 31, 2018

Woaao i, MALANDILA Juste Elysée confirm you that this course has been amazing, but our wonderful lecture made it possible by his obvious teaching skills. I have learn so much about news good concepts, i have deepen my insight of the addicted brain and most important Complete my Qualification as a MASTER's Degree holder in Fundamentale & Applied Toxicology" & Biochemistry (BSc)....So guys for those who are interested " I Strogngly invite you to benefit & maybe change your perceptive of the ADDICTED BRAIN & more....

By Mrudula B

Jun 11, 2020

Absolutely loved this course! Concepts are well explained and simplified. Definately reccomend this course to those who want to learn about the different types of drugs, its mechanism, who is vulnerable to drugs, etc. This course has changed my perspective towards substance abusers and helped me understand that addiction is a disorder of the brain and how important it is for us to show compassion towards the victims and break the stigma attached towards drug-addicts.

By Taiki K

May 06, 2017

A general introductory course on the biological basis of drug addiction. It is very well-explained, with supporting graphs and animations, which facilitate the understanding of the phisiological mechanisms. At the same time, the lectures raise thought-provoking questions and encourage the student to continue exploring many different areas of research around the vast world of drug addiction at a biological, personal, or social level. Fascinating and instructive.

By Emma C M P

Sep 02, 2019

¡Muy completo! Aprendí cosas que ignoraba por completo, incluyendo aquellas que parecen obvias. Me di cuenta de que, si yo no estaba enterada de cosas que van desde lo sencillo hasta algo más complejo, quienes no están interesados en conocer a fondo el tema de las drogas están más propensos a distintos y mayores riesgos debido a la falta de información. Creo que es importante que todos estemos informados al respecto, sin importar si las consumimos o no.

By Justin D

Oct 23, 2015

This course was beyond informative. I too have been exposed to those afflicted by addiction and am to deal with it on a daily basis with those whom are in life even now. The information taught in an "Easy To Learn" manner by Dr. Kuhar was incredible. I now understand the functioning of an "Addicts" brain much more thoroughly. I'm grateful this course was a presentation in which I was honored to be able to be a participant.

By Paul B

Oct 07, 2015

An extreamly interesting and enlightening course. The instructor, professor Kuhar, is an incredible lecturer with very pleasurable voice and amicable attitude. The topics of drugs and addiction is discussed on many levels, from phisiology to societal changes. I would certainly recommend this course to anyone who wish to better understand the problem of addiction because of either personal reasons or academic interest.

By Helen F

Sep 25, 2015

The individual course topics were evenly distributed and presented in a meticulous, thorough, as well as elaborate manner. The lecturer was inviting and encouraging, whereas the technical specifications of the video lectures and quizzes were exceptionally good. In overall, the ''Addicted Brain'' course positively predisposes me towards opting for more courses provided and sponsored by the Emory University.

By Filipa A M R

Sep 09, 2015

As a trainee lawyer I found this course quite good and helpful.

In Portugal we have a lot of drug issues. Knowing how drug addiction works in the human brain might be helpful, especially on court, where some individuals are convicted for drug issues when, sometimes, it's not only their choice.

Thank you for the course. I hope there are more courses available for this kind of issues.

By GAUTHAM S B R C

Aug 07, 2020

A very informative course on various addictions due to drugs and the problems caused by addiction to the drugs both in the short run and long run. This course also focuses on the various aspects of legal and illegal drugs, various classes of drugs, neurotransmitters, etc. Overall, it's a great course with follow up questions at the end of each lecture. Recommended for everyone...

By Gita E

Jul 05, 2019

This course is amazing and well-taught by a wonderful emeritus professor. As someone interning at the ER from 7-5 PM every weekday, the course load for this course is not unbearable. I was able to complete at least 4-5 videos every day while at the ER. Now that I have completed the course, I have a better understanding of how addiction precautions can be applied at the ER.

By Shayantani C

Mar 03, 2016

One of the finest courses of the Coursera. The topic is interesting as to how certain release of chemical neurotransmitter is involved in day to day life factors . The experiments and scanning of the brain imaging techniques show how the brain responds in various factors like how a drug addicted brain differs from the normal brain in metabolism. Interesting

By Qianyi O

Sep 23, 2015

I did this course last year, since I had psychological knowledge so it was not too hard to understand all the concepts. What really attracts me is the forum, I just tried to post my question about assignment at forum, then quickly got a reply from my peer, from then on, I started to participate on forum discussion and did learn a lot. So, come to join us!

By RISSER-MAROIX

Sep 24, 2015

Highly rated course.

A very good choice for youngs and seniors with addiction or not. Very important to prevent addictive trends and to help addicted people, because Dr Michael KUHAR explains very clearly and very simply with a choice of experiment and other examples, complex brain behaviors. Thank you to Emory University and to Coursera too.

By MARTINE J

Jul 01, 2018

This course was absolutely great, somehow sometimes difficult because I am not english native and neither in a medical field. All the knowledge I discovered is so interesting! And it also helps to open one's mind to see drug addiction and drug users with an other point of view! Thank so much for the quality of your course. Martine

By LAKSHMI V

Mar 23, 2020

I have taken 7 courses in coursera till now, and among all I find this one the best one. The course was structured beautifully, with case studies, reviews and good end week quizes. The professor was amazing and I truly learnt a lot.I would like to thank emory university for giving me such a great learning experience.

By mary h

Aug 12, 2016

I found this course well structured and concise. It covered a lot of the subject with up to date information. It had helpful diagrams and gave good real life examples. Highly recommend for everyone to help understand substance misuse and possible treatments. Also it's role in the wider society.

By Adriana B d A

Apr 09, 2017

I learnt so much about addiction and what it does to the brain...I wish I known this since I was a teen. I have been sharing my learning with my family and friends and looking forward to helping my community in this aspect. Thank you ever so much for such valuable AND LIFE SAVING INFORMATION!

By Angela T

Jun 02, 2016

I am a graduate student of counseling. This course added a dimension to my coursework and future career that was both needed and very much appreciated. Ideas are broken-down into understandable portions. It is helpful to have some knowledge of how neurons work and terms associated therein.

By Alvaro D R L

Jun 18, 2018

One of the best courses about Drugs, taking them in an objective way, very interesting and complex enough for undergrads, it's good to know also about policies, treatment and decriminalization. Would like to be in a course focused only in pharmacokinetics of drugs by the same insitution.

By Jannatul M R

I have completed the course. 😇 I think, Michael J. Kuhar is an amazing instructor and I am impressed by his teaching capabilities. It was quite easy to follow the whole materials. Loved this course and eagerly waiting to do more courses on addiction. Thank you Coursera and Mr. Kuhar.❤️

By Somya M

Listening to this course by Michael Kuhar gave an immense feeling of satisfaction of understanding a complex subject in a simpler way and that too with interest. Adding to the icing is the review towards the end of each week and after last week. The best on Coursera so far! Thank you!

By Niranjana B

Jan 02, 2018

The Course had a good view of the Drug classes and the structured ways of getting out of it, the compulsions and the related health syndromes that makes one to relapse.

This is a good course for any one who wants to get to the ways of Brain functions and the drug interactions.

By Pat C

Oct 05, 2015

Great course. I liked the deadline notification option. I also liked the opportunity to complete work at my own pace with the final deadline the end of the course. With my busy schedule, this option was wonderful and allowed me to complete all of the assignments for credit.

By George C

Sep 16, 2019

Lessons are very informative and some in the advanced weeks can be very challenging if you do not have a science background. But all round, the professor explains all concepts very clearly and gives review questions at the end of every video lesson. The quizzes are good too.