Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MM

Sep 29, 2017

good course, I like the fact you can use a lot of languages for you programming exercises, the content is really helpful, I would like to have more indications from the grading system to save time.

176 - 200 of 1,194 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Sachith N K

Feb 22, 2019

I really appreciate the content of this course. It was well planned and had a nice flow. However have to say that in some instances the failed case cannot be viewed and I don't know why the grader only outputs "Failed case: Wrong answer".

By Wonjin K

Aug 01, 2018

I graduated from electrical engineering, so, even though I am programming on a daily basis, I always wanted to learn about data structures and algorithms in more detail. This lecture gave me a good insight about algorithms. Very helpful!

By Amr L O

Oct 15, 2016

At my country I was dropped of the final year computer engineering and automatic control at engineering faculty due to health and financial conditions, with online courses I have the chance to prove what I can do, Thank you very much !!

By Stefano I

Oct 10, 2017

It is nice how this course really guides you through different algorithmic ways to tackle problems. It is one of the few online courses that really forces you to spend time implementing and understanding algorithms. Highly recommended!

By Walid O

Feb 17, 2017

the course is very good , the best part is implementing the algorithm ,this will give you deep understanding of the algorithm also it will force you to improve your programming skills if you are a beginner , it was very useful for me .

By Shubham K

Nov 02, 2016

A good course , programming assignments are also good , even the discussion forums are good. Tutorials are wonderful everything is explained very clearly and hints are given at each point overall good for computer science undergrad.

By Mayank S

Mar 11, 2020

A good course to start learning data structure....highly recommended for beginners....introduced with all the data structure and more importantly practiced various type of algo.......TEACHER SHOULD CLEAR PROBLEM MORE EFFICIENTLY...

By Ak@sh

May 23, 2017

Very Nice Course Indeed, it's a complete package for anyone who wants to fully built himself/herself as a programmer! Everything seems to be very perfect about this course, be it the reading material or the programming assignments!

By Christopher B

Aug 02, 2016

I love the fact that this course is language agnostic and really lets you learn about the underlying algorithms that make our software run faster. It is challenging, but definitely worth it if you are fond of a specific language!

By Vivek K C

Jan 14, 2019

A must have course for any beginner. It teaches every basic building block of programming to solve complex problems. One of the best things I have learnt is stress testing and I cannot even explain how many time it saved my day.

By Jaydeep B M

Jul 01, 2017

This is an exceptionally good course and has been taught very well. I would like to suggest providing some help for the difficult problems ans also adding some solutions with the best complexity so that we can see and learn.

By Alexandra S

Jul 17, 2017

With the step-by-step lessons and clarity of the lectures, this course challenged me while giving me the necessary tools to learn creative algorithms techniques. It was wonderfully taught and I am excited to learn more.

By Nicolas M

Jan 14, 2018

It's not easy, but this is a great introduction to algorithms and data structures. I'm definitely going to follow more courses in this specialization. Thanks to the folks who put this course together and supported it!

By Aman S

Sep 21, 2017

this is one of the best course for the computer science student and anyone who want to make program quickly and efficiently. Basically its a step to become professional programer.

Thank you for providing this course .

By SAI P

Nov 16, 2018

I loved this course because overall the course content was good.Since grader output was not giving much clues on the failure helped me lot in stress testing the code my myself. Lot of clues in the discussion forum.

By Praveen k

Aug 18, 2018

well its amazing...

1) the thing that I like most is the way tutors were telling the way how to solve the problem .

2) STRESS TEST : I didnt know this , how to test our program and how to debug it.

great work coursera

By PRADEEP K

Feb 10, 2018

It was my first experience to learn in so detail.

Like, how to make a simple algorithm so robust and reliable.

How to think and find corner cases in your simple looking algorithm also.

Hope to learn more in next week

By Sadia K

Mar 30, 2020

I like algorithm toolbox course a lot ,all concepts starting from basic why algorithm to advanced concepts like dynamic programming are clearly explained. All assignments and mcqs test are up to date and helpul .

By edenwang

May 04, 2019

I graduated from Computer Science. And I learned not so well in Algorithmic. But through the course, I have a better understanding of common algorithms. Teachers of this course are really great. Thank you a lot.

By Amog C

Apr 02, 2019

The content is top notch. Assignments are very helpful. If you are able to solve the problems by yourself, you will learn a lot. The problem that i faced is, some content is very complex, not easy to understand.

By Anna T

Sep 26, 2016

Very well structured, good choice of content. All video lectures are engaging and you can feel a lot of though was put into making algorithms explanations both clear and concise. Many thanks to the lecturers.

By CPT A S

Oct 14, 2019

This is possibly the best way I've learned difficult material to date. Plenty of clues to solve the problems, but not so much as to cheapen the experience. I intend to continue on if my employer permits it.

By zillani s

May 12, 2019

Awesome course for anyone who wants to learn algorithms. It will be hard but its will much satisfying because you are going to learn a lot and it will make you start thinking differently about writing code.

By Seyyed A G

May 11, 2019

This course is so good as it provides the audience with lots of hands-on training and it uses an active learning approach which is the best option in learning anything especially in computer science topics.

By tima-fey

Nov 25, 2018

it's very interesting and challenging course. Good theory and tasks

Hope I'll be motivated enough to pass this specialization till to the end and the quality of courses won't getting worse

strongly recommend