Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second). Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MM

Sep 29, 2017

good course, I like the fact you can use a lot of languages for you programming exercises, the content is really helpful, I would like to have more indications from the grading system to save time.

176 - 200 of 1,124 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Christopher B

Aug 02, 2016

I love the fact that this course is language agnostic and really lets you learn about the underlying algorithms that make our software run faster. It is challenging, but definitely worth it if you are fond of a specific language!

By Vivek K C

Jan 14, 2019

A must have course for any beginner. It teaches every basic building block of programming to solve complex problems. One of the best things I have learnt is stress testing and I cannot even explain how many time it saved my day.

By Jaydeep B M

Jul 01, 2017

This is an exceptionally good course and has been taught very well. I would like to suggest providing some help for the difficult problems ans also adding some solutions with the best complexity so that we can see and learn.

By Alexandra S

Jul 17, 2017

With the step-by-step lessons and clarity of the lectures, this course challenged me while giving me the necessary tools to learn creative algorithms techniques. It was wonderfully taught and I am excited to learn more.

By Nicolas M

Jan 14, 2018

It's not easy, but this is a great introduction to algorithms and data structures. I'm definitely going to follow more courses in this specialization. Thanks to the folks who put this course together and supported it!

By Aman S

Sep 21, 2017

this is one of the best course for the computer science student and anyone who want to make program quickly and efficiently. Basically its a step to become professional programer.

Thank you for providing this course .

By SAI P

Nov 16, 2018

I loved this course because overall the course content was good.Since grader output was not giving much clues on the failure helped me lot in stress testing the code my myself. Lot of clues in the discussion forum.

By Praveen k

Aug 18, 2018

well its amazing...

1) the thing that I like most is the way tutors were telling the way how to solve the problem .

2) STRESS TEST : I didnt know this , how to test our program and how to debug it.

great work coursera

By PRADEEP K

Feb 10, 2018

It was my first experience to learn in so detail.

Like, how to make a simple algorithm so robust and reliable.

How to think and find corner cases in your simple looking algorithm also.

Hope to learn more in next week

By edenwang

May 04, 2019

I graduated from Computer Science. And I learned not so well in Algorithmic. But through the course, I have a better understanding of common algorithms. Teachers of this course are really great. Thank you a lot.

By Amog C

Apr 02, 2019

The content is top notch. Assignments are very helpful. If you are able to solve the problems by yourself, you will learn a lot. The problem that i faced is, some content is very complex, not easy to understand.

By Anna T

Sep 26, 2016

Very well structured, good choice of content. All video lectures are engaging and you can feel a lot of though was put into making algorithms explanations both clear and concise. Many thanks to the lecturers.

By CPT A S

Oct 14, 2019

This is possibly the best way I've learned difficult material to date. Plenty of clues to solve the problems, but not so much as to cheapen the experience. I intend to continue on if my employer permits it.

By zillani s

May 12, 2019

Awesome course for anyone who wants to learn algorithms. It will be hard but its will much satisfying because you are going to learn a lot and it will make you start thinking differently about writing code.

By Seyyed A G

May 11, 2019

This course is so good as it provides the audience with lots of hands-on training and it uses an active learning approach which is the best option in learning anything especially in computer science topics.

By tima-fey

Nov 25, 2018

it's very interesting and challenging course. Good theory and tasks

Hope I'll be motivated enough to pass this specialization till to the end and the quality of courses won't getting worse

strongly recommend

By Krzysztof L

Sep 18, 2017

This is very good course. The materials are very interesting, but the best part are programming assignments. I really enjoyed doing them and because of them I decided to go for the whole specialization.

By Akshath V

Jul 09, 2017

A excellent course to begin with competitive programming. Taking up this course helps you to understand many difficult concepts and get a grip over what you learned by solving the assignment questions.

By Omar M R

Mar 26, 2017

Very good course!! Totally recommended! It takes you from the basics to more advanced topics. They will demonstrate why it's very important know and apply different approaches for algorithmic problems.

By Aniket D

Jan 22, 2020

The course is very helpful for every student it covers all the algorithms in a discipline order starting with examples followed by algorithm and finally some exercise to test what you learnt !!

By mohnorain@gmail.com

Mar 06, 2017

This is a very useful very rich algorithms course, it is one of the best i have ever attended online, i would really recommend this course to any one who wants a challenging algorithms program.

By Daniel P

Dec 24, 2017

The last topic (dynamic programming) was significantly more challenging than everything else in the course. It was also a topic I have not had previous exposure too -- overall, a great course!

By Fahri C D

Mar 31, 2016

Good coverage of the material, with several videos dedicated to individual topics, accompanied with complementing problem sets which have a decent selection of semi-optional advanced problems.

By Patrick G

May 08, 2019

Great course! My only concern was that some of the homeworks seemed to take a little longer than advertised, but I really appreciate getting in-depth practice solving these types of problems.

By Sawal M

Apr 18, 2017

Great course! The programming assignments are very helpful in understanding the topics in the course. It would be better if the threshold to pass the assignment is increased to 50% or more.