Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MM

Sep 29, 2017

good course, I like the fact you can use a lot of languages for you programming exercises, the content is really helpful, I would like to have more indications from the grading system to save time.

151 - 175 of 1,950 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Viraj D

May 02, 2019

Lack of coding practice.

By Scott U

Jul 11, 2020

A very promising first week or two, and it went completely downhill from there. This was supposed to be an algorithmic toolbox course. Instead, the course is about trying to figure out what weird edge cases the instructors can come up with. Have fun testing your code with no idea what the inputs are. "This will help you learn" - no it won't because even when the grader magically accepts your answer, you don't know what problem you just solved.

The latter weeks, the concepts get significantly harder - dynamic programming is covered in a five minute video of which half is spent on discussing how it came to be called 'dynamic programming', and you're then asked to go solve a bunch of difficult DP problems, all without knowing what inputs are being tested.

If you don't mind spending hours and hours on your own going through youtube videos and trying to figure out what is being taught, knock yourself out - but seriously, why give these guys your money, go give the Youtube guys your money. They actually earn it.

By Amit J

Nov 18, 2017

The auto-grader and py codes are a big let down for me. The auto-grader takes too long to produce a result (more than 1 hour) and for me many a times it has been the case. No one from the organizing team spent any time in resolving this issue.

The py code is a big let down for me. The way i/o is done is pretty lame. There is no print statement displayed that states "Pls give input" etc... For output you need to do Ctrl + Z and then you see the answer. IMHO this is bad coding for i/o.

Organizers need to understand that working professionals are pressed for time and automation should help them rather than frustrate them and lead to loss of time.

By Nader a

Jul 07, 2020

This course is so bad, I needed a lot of external resources so i can understand the lectures, the assigments are far from the algorithms explained in the lectures, we cant think and find a solution if we do not get the basics explained well also the usage of pseudo code instead of one programming language

makes everything unclear, the names of the variables does not relate to its reference the professors are just naming any names arr1,arr2,... etc so this causes a misconception.

By Amir M O

Jun 20, 2019

I wouldn't recommend this course to anyone. Just go on youtube and search for data structure and algorithms videos.

some of the the instructors here have language barrier and it makes it super difficult to go through this course.

No help when you are stuck either.

They keep making everything too complicated and keep using fancy tough math words.

If you are interested in Academic side of computer science take this course otherwise don't waste your time.

By TIANYI X

Jun 17, 2018

taking this one right now and almost give up. I got no support from the faculty or mentor, questions on the forum are rarely answered. If you get stuck in the problem you are pretty much wasting your time. I am not saying you should look at the answer right away, but if you have no clue what to do, answer should be provided to help. BUT THERE IS NOTHING THERE.

By Pavel T

Feb 23, 2020

This course is a complete mess.

1. In week 2 they presented fibonacci numbers solution and they said that runtime complexity is quadratic but in presented solution it was linear.

2. In practical task of week 2 they didn't provide sufficient description about what should be done

3. Language of some speakers is mediocre

By Andrea L

Sep 01, 2017

Very unsatisfied. At the end, I feel I learnt nothing.

1 - Explanations not always clear

2 - Too many exercises in the assignments

3 - Some exercise was not very useful and takes much time to understand what they want exactly.

4 - Price is too high per month for this course.

By Magnus P

Mar 05, 2017

I don't recommend this course. The lectures barely touch on the topics being taught, you are expected to go learn on your own. I learned more from the free Khan academy than from this course. It would have been worth more buying good literature on algorithms.

By Pedineedi N s

Aug 31, 2018

i'm unable to understand why my code is getting an error in your compiler. Because I had checked my code in various online compilers also, It is rediculous and I totally lost my patience since i was trying from past 10 days.

By Rohan G

Apr 22, 2018

The course is OK. But there is no mentor to answer the question in the discussion forum. So in case of any doubt no one is there to help.

By Yifei P

Nov 25, 2017

Too bad. I do not know how to run the program on my Mac. The professors' voice also made me annoyed.

By Sandeep M

Nov 09, 2019

lack of proper explanation and no beginner friendly content.

By Payam K

Jul 18, 2019

The instructors are terrible at teaching.

By Murali M K D

Jun 13, 2020

Well structured in terms of the flow. Covered all the design principles and paradigms. Best thing is that the assignments cover lot of standard algorithm questions and have perfect blend of already covered algorithms and uncovered ones. I can already see most of them relevant to my field of Data Science. I think the unique thing about this course and specialization is that most of the courses cover Data Structures first and wind up discussing more about LL, Stacks, Queues etc, and neglect the problem solving aspects. However, this specialization takes a reverse turn where they explain the standard Algorithms first and then later introduce DS as a means to solve advance problems. Going on to my next course in specialization. Thank you UCSD, NRU and Coursera :)

By Vaishnvee S S

Aug 30, 2020

The course was really helpful for me to understand Algorithms which is the basics of programming. However, I feel the 'Dynamic programming' part was explained is really too Good. This course was very interesting and helped me to understand algorithms more deeply. I strongly recommend everyone to take this course who is thinking to know a lots of about Data-structures and Algorithms. Great tutors and the doubt solvers who consistently helped me with lectures and discussion forums and also for helping me enhancing my skills specially on Dynamic Programming assignments. Thank you Coursera Amazing course! Motivated!!

- Vaishnvee Subhash Shinde

By Sanjana B

This was a very good course. I learned a lot of algorithmic problems. I liked it that they don't force you to complete all the assignments. You can complete the course by solving the problems within your reach and pass the criteria. Also, the number of problems is perfect. Neither too less, nor a lot. I had fun solving the problems. Since, I used Python 3, I didn't get most of the errors that many other people encountered (stack overflow, integer overflow, using vectors etc.). I wish I could see the test cases after passing the assignment, so that I could know what tests were cleared by my submitted code.

By Sathvik G

The course has very well laid syllabus. Learnt a lot of important techniques, different types of approaches toward a problem, they don't have elaborate explanations to many problems which at first made me disappointed but that turned out to be the best part, you will not grasp some topics towards the end of course at first, the key is to keep digging through other resources on net and to not be discouraged. Wouldn't have learnt if everything were spoon fed. Thanks to all the professors. T'was great overall.

By Jasmeet S B

Oct 05, 2020

Awesome ,The Course and Instructors Push You to Figure Out the Solution And do the hard part on Your Own Which Eventually Helps To Carve Your own Path And Makes Learning More Self Driven , Though If U Just Follow Along and understand the algorithms in the video Lecture U wont Even Need External Resources To Complete It. This Course Lets U take on A Practical Approach How the Algorithm Are actually Useful In the Real World.

Cheers To Knowledge...:)

By Rahul R

Sep 10, 2020

Time Limit Exceeded !! Memory Error !! These Errors have always ruined my programming endeavours, but this course was immense useful, the faculties were on top with killer concepts and superb explanation to some tough but immensely required concepts to build quick efficient Programs. I would highly recomemend anyone who has suffered a lot on the above problems to take this course and get a Immense Boost to their programming Careers.

By k190251 M K

May 06, 2020

This was a pretty amazingly planned course. It was like climbing stairs: at first, it was easy and then a little difficult and very difficult at last. Some problems took days just to solve them according to the time provided, and thankfully for some problems, hints were provided. I would suggest this to everyone, this is one of the best courses for Algorithms because of the organized material and skillful and helpful instructors.

By ftgo

Jun 02, 2020

This is the best online course I have already participated. Although challenging, it is well organized and is full of references, resources and iterative puzzles. It has a high level team of instructors, each one doing a great job to teach the best of computer science: algorithms. The forums are pretty rich and the moderators are highly active and supportive. I am very satisfied and motivated to keep learning from them.

By Akintimehin A O

Sep 14, 2020

Wow!!! I'm actually super delighted that I've been able to complete this course. It was a great experience for me altogether because I have been so passionate about learning algorithms so I can get a job in a top company in the US, UK or Canada. I really want to thank Coursera for the opportunity to learn under great tutors. I'm super excited, and would recommend this course to anyone willing to learn algorithms.

By Андрей

This course is awesome! Good speakers, interesting lectures and a lot of tough challenges, applicable to real world problems. I found it very helpful. After completing this course you'll achieve an ultimate problem solving ability. Although it may be dificult for a total beginners. I would recommend it for those who aready has at least a little experience in programming. Also, basic knowlege of math is required.

By Mohit M

Jul 26, 2020

The problems were quite interesting and I faced a bit of difficulty in solving all of them because there's a lot of difference in writing algorithms and typing the code and I tried to cover that gap. Overall the lectures were very informative along with the quizzes and assignments . So I am very thankful to Coursera and all the professors who put in their efforts to enhance our problem solving skills.