Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

This online course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG

Jan 19, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

BD

Jan 19, 2021

The course was really amazing which provided deep knowledge from basic to advance that how algorithms works and how to design algorithms. Thanks to all the expert teachers who taught in this course.

251 - 275 of 2,447 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Chinedu U

Oct 19, 2021

Great course for anyone who wants to understand the intricacies of designing efficient algorithms. The lectures are well structured, and the assignments are designed to help you understand the concepts taught in the course. I would highly recommend it!

By Aaron J

Jun 5, 2020

This was an amazing course! I've taken Algorithms classes during college but we never learned about stress testing solutions or anything about dynamic programming. I really feel a lot more confident in designing algorithms. Highly suggest this course!

By GAURAV C

Jul 20, 2017

This course helped me clear my algorithm concepts. The assignmenst at the end of each week, are very good. Concepts in the course were introduced briliantly with a comparison of different alogrithms and how each of them can solve a particular problem.

By Ayush S

Jul 22, 2018

The greatness of this course can be judged by the kind of programming assignments given at the end which actually test the learners. Highly recommend this course for people who are totally new to algorithms and want to kickstart their coding venture.

By Vismit K

Sep 25, 2020

Extremely good course for strengthening various algorithms, especially the concept of Dynamic Programming is which is very essential is taken care of beautifully. Absolutely loved the questions and had fun debugging for various incorrect test cases.

By Rushiraj C

I just loved the approach of the professors, which made most fundamental but difficult concepts seem very easy. Algorithms is, in my opinion, the most important subject for any computer science. Thanks to all the people who helped to make this MOOC.

By Zuhaib U Z

Sep 2, 2019

I think I learned a lot in this course and there has been a significant change in the level of programming I can do now and the level of programming I used to do before this course. Also I would like to thank all the professors.

By Kocić O

Feb 25, 2016

This course does more then just teaching algorithms. It gives you insights and ideas that you can later use to build new algorithms. Personally, I think this is crucial, cause it helps you to build unique skill - reasoning about unknown problems.

By Hrishikesh P

Aug 29, 2020

It was an awesome course but I found the explanations for Dynamic Programming Part-1 as well as Part-2 a little tough to understand. And also I am still not able to formulate the problems well. Also, similar experience for Divide and Conquer.

By Nick P

Oct 11, 2020

I had fun taking this course. The assignments were challenging enough (if you complete them) that you needed to learn the material, which I can see being quite useful.

I feel like this was a boon to my programming and problem solving skills.

By Hari K

Sep 9, 2020

This course is wonderful, it gave me a strong base in programming. Even though i had to search for extra materials and had to spend lots of night wondering how these algos work, i think its worth.Thanks for providing such fabulous courses.

By Timur B

Jul 29, 2020

Overall the course is good except some of the lectures. It gives a good overview and then you can find some better video o the Internet on the topics to complete the assignments and understand the subject better. The assignments are great.

By José A V M

Jun 3, 2016

Very straight forward, this course comes from the basics and completes the theory with practice to ensure learning. 100% recommended for those who are not familiar with algorithms or those who want to have practice implementing and coding.

By Amrish K

Jun 28, 2020

Hereby I tryly declare that this course is simply awesome and wonderful experience, one think is I didnt able to solve all problems, that is small guilty I felt. If I had a chance to know that algorithm for all problem, I am pretty happy.

By Sachith N K

Feb 22, 2019

I really appreciate the content of this course. It was well planned and had a nice flow. However have to say that in some instances the failed case cannot be viewed and I don't know why the grader only outputs "Failed case: Wrong answer".

By Wonjin K

Aug 1, 2018

I graduated from electrical engineering, so, even though I am programming on a daily basis, I always wanted to learn about data structures and algorithms in more detail. This lecture gave me a good insight about algorithms. Very helpful!

By DHAMI R

Sep 22, 2020

This introductory course is vrey well designed and taught, however, there can be improvement done in the teaching side otherwise everything was perfect I sincerely want to thank all my teachers who taught me a great deal in this course

By Rishabh R

Aug 18, 2020

The assignments really helped me a lot. The good thing is since no solution is provided and no hints are given for a lot of the questions, you really have to do testing and debugging yourself which has made me more confident than before

By Abdur R

Jul 14, 2020

Just finished this course. All I have to say is that this course is really really nice. I've learned lots of new things from this course. I enjoyed completing the assignments throughout this course.

Dynamic Programming part was the best.

By Amr L O

Oct 15, 2016

At my country I was dropped of the final year computer engineering and automatic control at engineering faculty due to health and financial conditions, with online courses I have the chance to prove what I can do, Thank you very much !!

By A V

Aug 30, 2020

I love this course. I want to complete other courses also in this topic. You will amaze at clarifications given for each topic by lecturers. I strongly recommend this course if you want to learn some standard approaches in Programming.

By Stefano I

Oct 10, 2017

It is nice how this course really guides you through different algorithmic ways to tackle problems. It is one of the few online courses that really forces you to spend time implementing and understanding algorithms. Highly recommended!

By Waleed O

Feb 17, 2017

the course is very good , the best part is implementing the algorithm ,this will give you deep understanding of the algorithm also it will force you to improve your programming skills if you are a beginner , it was very useful for me .

By Arpan P

Jul 28, 2020

This course can definitely boost up anyone's logic building skills to a whole another level. Just as it did in my case. Starting from scratch it will take you to a much higher level keeping the journey as pleasant as much it can be.

By Shubham K

Nov 2, 2016

A good course , programming assignments are also good , even the discussion forums are good. Tutorials are wonderful everything is explained very clearly and hints are given at each point overall good for computer science undergrad.