Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MM

Sep 29, 2017

good course, I like the fact you can use a lot of languages for you programming exercises, the content is really helpful, I would like to have more indications from the grading system to save time.

201 - 225 of 1,195 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Krzysztof L

Sep 18, 2017

This is very good course. The materials are very interesting, but the best part are programming assignments. I really enjoyed doing them and because of them I decided to go for the whole specialization.

By Akshath V

Jul 09, 2017

A excellent course to begin with competitive programming. Taking up this course helps you to understand many difficult concepts and get a grip over what you learned by solving the assignment questions.

By Omar M R

Mar 26, 2017

Very good course!! Totally recommended! It takes you from the basics to more advanced topics. They will demonstrate why it's very important know and apply different approaches for algorithmic problems.

By Aniket D

Jan 22, 2020

The course is very helpful for every student it covers all the algorithms in a discipline order starting with examples followed by algorithm and finally some exercise to test what you learnt !!

By mohnorain@gmail.com

Mar 06, 2017

This is a very useful very rich algorithms course, it is one of the best i have ever attended online, i would really recommend this course to any one who wants a challenging algorithms program.

By Daniel P

Dec 24, 2017

The last topic (dynamic programming) was significantly more challenging than everything else in the course. It was also a topic I have not had previous exposure too -- overall, a great course!

By Fahri C D

Mar 31, 2016

Good coverage of the material, with several videos dedicated to individual topics, accompanied with complementing problem sets which have a decent selection of semi-optional advanced problems.

By Patrick G

May 08, 2019

Great course! My only concern was that some of the homeworks seemed to take a little longer than advertised, but I really appreciate getting in-depth practice solving these types of problems.

By Sawal M

Apr 18, 2017

Great course! The programming assignments are very helpful in understanding the topics in the course. It would be better if the threshold to pass the assignment is increased to 50% or more.

By Priyesh P

Apr 11, 2019

I had a very good experience doing this course. I have refined my algorithmic skills with this course and can apply the concepts really well at competitive programming. Thanks to coursera!

By Jasmine N

Aug 07, 2016

I thought this was really helpful for my day to day career as a developer. It helped give me better tools to talk about what I am working on as well as introducing me to some new concepts.

By Danstan O O

May 13, 2019

This course is great and has helped me get started well with algorithms. Thanks, Coursera, and the partners. Learning with implementation examples in different languages is really great.

By Prashant S

Oct 26, 2017

Very well organised series and all problems are explained with the help of good examples, you need basic programming understanding of functions and arrays to go through these lecture.

By Sam D

Aug 04, 2017

I really enjoy this course, and I can definitely say that this specialization is perfect for those who would like to learn programming from the base and use it in different languages

By Hemanth K B

Aug 04, 2016

I have solved more problems in this course compared to any other courses. This course has laid foundation to solve more problems in Dynamic Programming. Thank you to the entire team.

By pratik r

Sep 11, 2017

every important concept are cleared in this course.This course gives you idea to how to take right approach by giving tools like greedy algo, divide & conquer and dynamic approach.

By Himanshu y

Jan 01, 2020

coursera is really a best platform to learn the new skills . this course will definitely helped me a lot for getting my new job. fresher's like me are really thankful to coursera.

By Nguyen M H

Oct 22, 2018

I am embedded software engineer, I want to learn more about computer science. This course give me usefull techniques to solve problem. Thanks instructor for well lecture and slide

By philip g

Apr 20, 2017

Awesome course. Great exercises (although can be frustratingly challenging at times!) Divide and conquer and dynamic programming new to me, have learned a lot. Highly recommended!

By Saruar M

Jan 15, 2019

Great course! explanations are good, problems are challenging enough to help truly understand the material. No nonsense. Highly recommend to who is beginning to learn algorithms.

By Patrick L

May 19, 2016

Love how clear the professors explain the not-so-straighforward context. I enjoyed every single moment. The assignments constitute the biggest part of understanding and learning.

By Khai P T

Dec 02, 2018

The course is fundamentally useful, this helped me out a lot to discover my enthusiasm since my background is non-IT. I'm on the way to the second course in this specialization!

By Jack W

Jul 25, 2017

Really good comprehensive overview of fundamental algorithmic techniques. The programming assignments are challenging at times, but the forums are super helpful for discussions.

By Olesch A D

Jun 10, 2018

The course instructors were very enthusiastic which definitely increased the excitement of learning. Assignments are challenging in the later weeks which is a huge plus point.

By Omar A E

May 21, 2018

The course is very nice and i enjoyed most of the parts, however i think we can do better in the dynamic programming lessons , it was very hard to keep up with the instructor.