Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

This online course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG

Jan 19, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

BD

Jan 19, 2021

The course was really amazing which provided deep knowledge from basic to advance that how algorithms works and how to design algorithms. Thanks to all the expert teachers who taught in this course.

226 - 250 of 2,447 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Samyak J

Jul 27, 2019

Highly recommended for everyone from starters to advance coders. Focuses on the core concepts of solving a problem and provides the general solution. End of week assignments proves to be very useful and only after one understand the concepts and crack the problems, can he move forward.

By happypuppy

Sep 14, 2017

Lectures are very clear, well organized. Mini quiz questions were designed extremely well. They actually make you think about what you were just presented, rather than just asking you to spit back out what you heard. Programming assignments are great too for same reason. Awesome class!

By Amandeep

May 17, 2021

Loved it. The problems are really great and amazing. Especially the dynamic programming section. The best thing is the satisfaction you get after solving a problem. Those hours spent of debugging the code was worth it. Loved the course, course structure and the amazing instructors.

By BANOTHU R

Aug 18, 2020

The Assignment questions are tough and little bit easy and at the same time really interesting. I just enjoyed doing all the six week assignments. I hope the concepts I learned may help me for my future. Thank you so much Coursera for your efforts to make us to learn new concepts .

By Vibhanshu G

Jul 26, 2020

It's definitely a great course for people just starting their journey in algorithms field. I thoroughly enjoyed every problem and working my way through them gave me insights on how to approach a problem and test the algorithms.

Instructors' guidance were greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

By Yash S N

Oct 31, 2019

This was an excellent course with excellent mentors. Since I am and Electronics Engineering grad, I thought it would be very difficult, but indeed it is not. I have been to other courses in Coursera on Algorithms and so far, this according to me is the best one ever. Thanks UCSD.

By Tianhui N

May 13, 2020

I really learned something useful from the class, and I think the assignments of every week are very classic. But the video time is too short for some hard algorithms, I need to spend more time to find and read more specific information from books and websites about the class.

By Stanislav B

Aug 7, 2021

The course is very interesting and useful in terms of practice. Huge thanks to authors for making such a work on testing and adapting the course to different programming languages. The structure complexity is good, each task is just a bit beyond the reach, quite motivating.

By Fatvvs F

Jun 15, 2020

Very good course! The metrial is very good, especially topic Divide and Conquer! The tasks quite chenlenging but they are awesome! The only problem I forgot some materials after I completed this course, so I think the course should have more quizzes to consolidate learning.

By Sajal J

Sep 8, 2020

Excellent course. This course teaches the basics of competitive coding like greedy algorithms, divide and conquer, and dynamic programming very well. The choice of problems to teach the concepts is excellent. Programming assignments give an excellent learning experience.

By Ridvan B

Feb 9, 2021

This is a great course. Even though instructor of week 5 has great achievements in academia, his english accent killed me (This week can even be removed.), and I hope I will not see him again during this specialization. Other than that, this is a well structured course.

By Harin M

May 22, 2020

This course has definitely strengthen my problem skills. It has taught me to be persistent and patient. Instructors in this course have done a commendable job. Things that I loved most about this course are gradle external tools and the quality of assignment questions.

By Imaani E

Jan 22, 2017

Great course - the problem sets were challenging and appropriate for the learning goals. For participants who have not been exposed to significant mathematical coursework, the mathematical notation may be intimidating at first, but is not an insurmountable obstacle.

By Daniel

Nov 4, 2017

This is a very good course. It is very difficult at first so I had to do it twice to complete it. It helps if you try to visualise the algorithms in your head, do them on paper and then try to write the pseudo code so it prints out all the steps that is being done.

By Matthew S

Apr 12, 2020

Excellent course. Very good instruction and pace. It really made me work hard on some of the assignments and grasp the material being presented.

Good course for those who have been out of school a while and want to relearn what they might have forgot from college.

By VIGNESHWARAN R

May 14, 2020

It was very useful. One request: 1extra week for dynamic programming basics is needed. Directly solving Dpchange problem is what i felt difficult .Anyway i understood dp basics with the help of dpslides you gave. And very very thanks for this wonderful course.

By Divyanshu B

Aug 10, 2019

It was an awesome course. It helped me to learn many algorithms and specially i learned dynamic programming which was very useful for me. It also improved my thinking skills and also typing speed while practicing. I would recommend everyone to take this course.

By chethan j

May 8, 2016

This course works on fundamental approaches, like divide and conquer, greedy algorithms and takes us to the more advanced dynamic approach which is ubiquitous and drives most of the modern applications.

Really beneficial to solve problems on a day to day basis.

By Praise O

Mar 30, 2020

A great course for a novice in algorithms without a CS degree. Gained an in-depth understanding of algorithms, when and how to implement them. Dynamic programming was the most challenging module in my opinion but once you grasp the concept the rest is cheese.

By Prateekraj S

Sep 30, 2020

Great Content, the mathematical ideas are very well explained and the problems are fairly challenging unlike the other courses I've completed on coursera. The content is very well designed to make us familiar with the fundamentals of all necessary concepts.

By Shaleen G

Aug 2, 2020

The course experience was good, I learnt to solve some of the standard problems through this course. I found the lesson of Master Theorem and Dynamic Programming quite interesting. I felt there should be provision of editorials for the assignment problems.

By Kaleb G

Sep 10, 2018

I've been programming professionally for 15 years, but I had a significant gap in my knowledge when it came to data structures and algorithms. This course helped me complete my skill set and regain a competitive advantage in the field. Thanks, instructors!

By Kiran K G

It is really wonderful learning. I have gained a lot of confidence to solve algorithm problems. But there are couple of chapters like dynamic programming where the complex parts can be explained a bit more. Overall a good learning exercise.

Kiran

By San S

Aug 17, 2017

loved the course, very well structured to develop algorithmic thinking. Assignments are great as well.

However, I did feel that the Dynamic programming lecture for week 05 could be slowed down or improved. There was way too much info put into one week. :)

By Nadiia M

Nov 12, 2017

I am very excited about this course. It helped me to get better understanding algorithms. It gives enough practical tasks to work on. I like the way teachers presented study material, especially Alexander Kulikov. Thank you! Can't wait to move forward!