Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second). Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MB

Mar 06, 2018

Cool course. Thank you! One suggestion about your book (Learning Algorithms Through Programming and Puzzle Solving): could you add some theory which would serve as a brief reminder before problems?

76 - 100 of 1,072 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Yifei P

Nov 25, 2017

Too bad. I do not know how to run the program on my Mac. The professors' voice also made me annoyed.

By Edson J A M

Mar 21, 2018

I tried to have this specialization and canceled before the 7-days free because the explanation is so poor by the teacher.

When seeing about Big-O notation is possible to see a poor explanation and most of the time you need to access a content to other source as KhanAcademy. It's not acceptable.

By Amit J

Nov 18, 2017

The auto-grader and py codes are a big let down for me. The auto-grader takes too long to produce a result (more than 1 hour) and for me many a times it has been the case. No one from the organizing team spent any time in resolving this issue.

The py code is a big let down for me. The way i/o is done is pretty lame. There is no print statement displayed that states "Pls give input" etc... For output you need to do Ctrl + Z and then you see the answer. IMHO this is bad coding for i/o.

Organizers need to understand that working professionals are pressed for time and automation should help them rather than frustrate them and lead to loss of time.

By Magnus P

Mar 05, 2017

I don't recommend this course. The lectures barely touch on the topics being taught, you are expected to go learn on your own. I learned more from the free Khan academy than from this course. It would have been worth more buying good literature on algorithms.

By Andrea L

Sep 01, 2017

Very unsatisfied. At the end, I feel I learnt nothing.

1 - Explanations not always clear

2 - Too many exercises in the assignments

3 - Some exercise was not very useful and takes much time to understand what they want exactly.

4 - Price is too high per month for this course.

By Ramin A

Oct 31, 2016

Def a useful skills to have when starting to interview for jobs. This is a hard course to teach to begin with. I found the lectures really boring, too long, hard to understand and just not really motivated well. I think the homework problem are good, but they are very time consuming. You need to use various methods to find edges cases and though that might be a good skill to have as well, it's just too much to get done in one week and somewhat frustrating when you're only stuck in one test case. I think this could be an excellent course with a few modification on the slides and adding more motivations and making shorter homework problems that focuses on the main part of the material for that as oppose to things we've already covered in the previous week. At the moment, I don't think I'll continue this specialization the way it's designed.

By Sandeep M

Nov 09, 2019

lack of proper explanation and no beginner friendly content.

By tima-fey

Nov 25, 2018

it's very interesting and challenging course. Good theory and tasks

Hope I'll be motivated enough to pass this specialization till to the end and the quality of courses won't getting worse

strongly recommend

By Pengchong L

Nov 28, 2018

Well elaborated lectures and well designed assignments. Great introductory course for algorithms

By vikash

Nov 28, 2018

best course in algorithms ever...

By Zhenya

Nov 29, 2018

I recommand for everybody. Teachers explain all from the basic level, and you shouldn't be afraid, you will understand all algorithms from this course. I like this course and this specialization very much

Для русского язычного населения тоже очень рекомендую, английский базового уровня, преподаватели с хорошим произношением, просто огонь. Сам курс вам тоже очень понравится. Очень нравится, что сначала дают теорию, а потом сразу к этой теории задачи, чтобы вы всё смогли отработать

Thanks for this course

By Jonas P

Dec 18, 2018

Very deep, gives great understanding of Algorithms and how to implement them in various ways

By Khai T

Dec 02, 2018

The course is fundamentally useful, this helped me out a lot to discover my enthusiasm since my background is non-IT. I'm on the way to the second course in this specialization!

By G M

Dec 02, 2018

Good course to boost up your algorithm skills

By Rambabu Y

Dec 21, 2018

I like stress test and the basic concepts including greedy, divide and conquer and dynamic Programming- Thanks

By Abhishek A

Dec 20, 2018

This was a very well structured course with very nice programming assignments. Real effort had to be put to get through this course .

By ANIL K G

Dec 05, 2018

Its increased my thinking ability, now I am way to write efficient algorithm ad well as program. I recommend to every programmer should join this course and take advantage.

By Aryan S

Jan 10, 2019

Amazing course!

By jetty m v p

Dec 25, 2018

it is very usefull for coding

By Andriy A

Jan 12, 2019

A great course for start learning algorithms!

By Уманец Е Е

Jan 12, 2019

very useful cource

By Saruar M

Jan 15, 2019

Great course! explanations are good, problems are challenging enough to help truly understand the material. No nonsense. Highly recommend to who is beginning to learn algorithms.

By Vivek K C

Jan 14, 2019

A must have course for any beginner. It teaches every basic building block of programming to solve complex problems. One of the best things I have learnt is stress testing and I cannot even explain how many time it saved my day.

By Alex B