Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG
Jan 19, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

BD
Jan 19, 2021

The course was really amazing which provided deep knowledge from basic to advance that how algorithms works and how to design algorithms. Thanks to all the expert teachers who taught in this course.

2051 - 2075 of 2,095 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Sriragh K

Jul 16, 2018

The course has multiple limitations and can improve a lot more. Two main issues I faced were these:Dynamic programming part one lectures were very poor and hard to understand as a result of which I had to view external sources to understand the topicSecondly, the idea of not showing test cases is a bit strange as understanding the failing test cases do not really come in the way of understanding algorithm, it simply makes the questions much harder and tedious to solve. This completely eliminates the purpose of the course and wastes the time of most students. I am a bit disappointed with this course and didn't see it as value for money.

By Supharerk T

May 21, 2016

Update: As I proceed to wk 5, I know why there are some complaint on Dynamic programming,

Reduced to 2 stars. Lectures are totally useless for the assignment,

The course is really good until week 4 when it deteriorates very quick. No matter how many times I re-watch the lecture, I can't understand much. I ended up using wikipedia for the quiz instead :P

I can't use much of the course forum since there are too many posts there and it keep crashing my chrome.

This course gets my 3 stars from the first 3 weeks alone, otherwise it gonna be 0-2 stars.

By Ayan P

Sep 24, 2020

I started the course to gain knowledge in algorithms but I am disappointed. Of course there are lots of assignments to do which kind of upgrade your skills. But I am disappointed with the way of explanation. The explanations are just like reading scripts. Also, they don't give the problem statement properly. I assignments, you would find the title of the problem but not the actual problem statement.

The instructors are very knowledgeable but I don't think their explanations are right up to the mark, at least not for me.

By Rayeed R (

Nov 9, 2020

Course started out great but as time went on the quality kept dropping. Week 3 is where it started to go bad for me. The instructor kept jumbling words up and explanation was really poor. Later weeks most of the algorithms weren't properly explained and you have to actually google stuff and read and learn everything pretty much independently from elsewhere if you want to code up the problems. The blind test cases were really weird because you have no clue what went wrong and where it went wrong.

By Tsz Y W

Jul 28, 2016

These two stars go to the instructor in week 1. I left the course after week 3 because I couldn't tolerate the accents of the instructors. I got frustrated starting from week 2 where I have to reread the subtitles to understand the material. Please let someone who can speak English fluently teach the course, please. The course goes kinds of fast, this is first course of the Specialization and it quickly jumps to Greedy algorithm, really? In general Algorithm course, it is usually taught late.

By Emilio B

Jan 25, 2017

The videos and explanations are very poor. Most of the time the instructors are reading off a script, and everything feels fake. By reading off a script they are forced to "hand-wave" and do not explain concepts covered completely.

The only thing I liked about this course were the problem sets, which were interesting to do. Will not buy rest of specialization, feels like this is just a cash cow for UCSD.

By Richard Z

May 4, 2019

I would say that the lecture part of this course is quite poor. The professor presents abstract concepts and pseudo-code without giving an example. It takes me a long time to figure out what the professor wants to say. He should've given out the example before explaining the concepts. The contents though is decent, and I learn a lot in his course.

By PRATIK A

Jun 4, 2017

Course content was good. Explanation of various problems, solutions and algorithms could be made easier to understand by providing more (intuitive) examples. Overall, the course is good at gaining broad understanding of the different paradigms of algorithms.

By Morgan S

Dec 5, 2020

The lectures are well done; however, the course should be deprecated. There are no active mentors and the directions and exercises do not reconcile. Lastly, the PyCharm package is prone to bugs.

By Piyush J

Dec 20, 2019

I Didn't find it useful for learning as a beginner in algorithms and data structures. The level of the assignments was way too high than the content covered in the lectures and study material.

By Alexander T

Jun 5, 2017

The time claimed as required for this course is wildly off.. It takes at least 3 times more than 4 hours, allotted for the weekly assignments. In a way, this makes this course very expensive.

By Stavros M

Jan 8, 2021

Some instructors are unqualified to be instructors. They may be good as scientists but not for instructors. That may be sounds harsh but it is the truth. I would not reccommend it.

By Sammya M

Jun 3, 2020

Explanations are unnecessarily confusing and of very poor quality especially from week 5. One already has to be an expert in algorithms before taking this course.

By KISHOR

Dec 14, 2020

This courser does not give a good explanation of the topics specified in the course syllabus.

Without good resources it is very difficult to solve the problems .

By Sulthan

Apr 25, 2020

The language of the lecturer is soo noisy and can't understand the words.

After Listening to the first lecture itself I'm unenrolling from the course.

By Die J

May 4, 2016

Feedback in assignment is not good enough.

For example, for the points and segment, there are no correct answer in output as a reference.

By saksham s

Dec 30, 2020

Teachers and faculties are not very good at explanation. Moreover all of them had boring faces like they are not interested to teach us.

By Amit

Sep 19, 2020

The content should be more beginner friendly. It quickly transitions pace to intermediate level. I found week 3 to 5 very difficult.

By kamal

Nov 16, 2017

The programming technique - like DP, Greedy could have been better. I had to go to other website to better understand the concepts.

By Jian W

Aug 20, 2019

Some Algorithm are not clear, and the homework submission system is not friendly at all!

By Sonia R

Jul 15, 2017

Teaching technique can be better and more interesting. Not so suitable for beginners.

By Ahmed M

Jun 6, 2020

Was useful to week 4

after that the explanation of the algorithms became very poor

By Sakib A K

Aug 21, 2020

Need To improve more about clearing the topics and also the assignment.

By Salman R k

Apr 11, 2020

The course is not very specific for my subjects .

By Bharath K S

May 22, 2020

I genuinly couldn't follow it,Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!