Back to Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms by Stanford University

The primary topics in this part of the specialization are: asymptotic ("Big-oh") notation, sorting and searching, divide and conquer (master method, integer and matrix multiplication, closest pair), and randomized algorithms (QuickSort, contraction algorithm for min cuts)....

KS

Sep 14, 2018

Well researched. Topics covered well, with walkthrough for exam.le cases for each new introduced algorithm. Great experience, learned a lot of important algorithms and algorithmic thinking practices.

DT

Thank you for teaching me this course. I learned a lot of new things, including Divide-and-Conquer, MergeSort, QuickSort, and Randomization Algorithms, along with proof for their asymptotic runtime

101 - 125 of 768 Reviews for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

By John A

Oct 07, 2019

Course was amazing - the one thing is I found the problem sets to typically be very difficult. Would be nice to have a similar set of problems + solutions available to better understand after we get something wrong.

Thank you for the time you put into this course.

By Niko G

Aug 16, 2018

As an Electrical Engineer, until completing this course, I felt a little uncomfortable talking with computer scientists about algorithms, although I have been programming for about 20 years. Now I feel comfortable discussing algorithms. Really enjoyed the course.

By Priyam S

Dec 14, 2019

It is an awesome experience.Most likely the programming assignment gives me a boost.And the Karger's Algorithm problem of minimum cut was nice.It really take a lot of tie to solve and think.But finally I am able to pass it .After all a very good experience.

By Eric L

Nov 13, 2016

Professor Roughgarden makes algorithms cool. With his passion for the topic you can't help but get excited about it too. I feel like I got a deep understanding of the topics covered versus just learning a recipe to sort an array. Looking forward to more.

By Larsen C

Apr 07, 2020

This course really helped me understand how Divide and Conquer Algorithms work. I liked the programming assignments since they really force you to program it on your own and that is the best way to really master algorithms. It was so helpful, thank you!

By Brande G

Jul 03, 2018

This course really is something else. It enhances the way you think, developes new thinking of old problems. The professor knows how to explain certain things that look more complicated and makes it look easier to the uninitiated persons in this course

By Lluis T

Dec 15, 2017

Great course! It was very well planned an oriented for experimented programmers that need that pinch of salt needed to get the best in their codes. I strongly recommend to use TDD in the development of the programming practices.

A resume?: it's a MUST.

By YANG Y

Jun 19, 2017

The best course I've taken on any MOOC by far. I'm satisfied with both its depth and professor's intuitive teaching. Assignments are also challenging, deeply connected to the material. Strongly recommend to any like me who is new to algorithms.

By Pierre C

Feb 21, 2020

The teacher (Tim Roughgarden) is simply excellent!

There's not only basic problems which is very cool and interesting, plus the lecture is interactive and challenging through the different quiz.

I Highly recommend this course,

Thanks for sharing.

By Abhinav D

May 23, 2020

MR. tim is a brilliant tutor and his way of presenting is unmatchable.i didn't had any kind off troublesome during this whole course.overall i learned so many concepts from this course.thanks tim sir and coursera for this truly appreciated!!

By Gonzalo G A E

Mar 13, 2020

An interesting and challenging course.

Good for learning the basics of algorithms for someone with a good background and mathematics (including proofs) background.

The prof is fun and light to listen to... hence the videos are not tedious.

By Arvind U

Mar 09, 2017

it is very important to learn algorithms as it is truly said it is heart of computer programming .. I am very happy and thanks for offering such a course to coursera and have just started hope will learn something so that it will help !!!!

By Siddharth A

Jul 15, 2020

Well-designed. Keeps the learner engaged, and excited to learn by giving detailed analysis of each algorithm, without overshadowing the beauty of the algorithm. A very good introductory course to algorithms! The teacher was just amazing!

By Ankur S

This course is very good to increase your logical programming. Problem solving skills improved.Great explanation of concept of probability.Instructors are very good.Thank you cousera to provide such a knowledgeable course of algorithms.

By Alfaz A

Aug 13, 2019

This is a brilliant course on algorithms, shines light on seemingly basic concepts in a very detailed and practical manner.

The programming assignments are fairly challenging, one must have some programming experience to code them up.

By amosnier

Jan 29, 2019

I do programming for a living, but I am going though this specialization to refresh my memory and competence in algorithms, as a base for other more advanced courses. Following Tim's lectures is very stimulating. I enjoyed it a lot!

By amit

Apr 24, 2019

The tutorials were very detailed. The tests required me to revisit the videos again n and again. If We can have some practice questions which are similar and help us practice concepts many times would help us retain the knowledge.

By Nikhil S

Aug 24, 2020

This course taught me the fundamentals of algorithm analysis and how to design divide-and-conquer, sorting, and randomized algorithms. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in getting their start in algorithm design.

By Shuvam S

Jun 28, 2019

I really like the course content and the way professor teaches. Programming assignments are really good as they just don't ask you to code up an algorithm but asks in depth questions like number of comparisons made in each step.

By Abhinaya N

Dec 13, 2018

Pretty amazing course. The book "Algorithms Illuminated" by Dr. Tim Roughgarden makes you greedy to learn more about algorithms. Some of the analogies he presented to explain the concepts were hilarious and makes it a fun read.

By Molderez

Aug 06, 2020

Quite interesting and the right level of challenge in my case. The explanations are very clear and to the fact. The exercises that let you implement the algorithms completely on your own improve your autonomy in programming.

By Shubham d

Nov 20, 2019

It was incredulous experience for me. From this course I get to know the level of problems to solve.

obviously, this would not happen without Coursera's scholarship program. Thanks a lot coursera for this marvelous experience.

By 熊之遥

Apr 09, 2017

Professor Roughgarden managed to explain all the algorithom ideas in a clear and simple way, and give us a very intuitive understanding of these methods. He did give me confidence in this field, even I am not majoring in CS.

By Pawel K S

Apr 05, 2018

Professor Roughgarden makes complex algorithm topics easy to understand. He gives a thorough foundation for each topic, and concisely explains proofs. This course has given me a robust framework for algorithmic analysis.

By Güneş A

Mar 18, 2020

I think the instructor is teaching very well. The supporting book is very useful to catch up the course content, and the problems and computational work is quite satisfactory to throughly understand the course material.