Back to Effective Altruism

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Effective Altruism by Princeton University

Effective altruism is built on the simple but unsettling idea that living a fully ethical life involves doing the most good one can. In this course you will examine this idea's philosophical underpinnings; meet remarkable people who have restructured their lives in accordance with it; and think about how effective altruism can be put into practice in your own life. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

JB

Jan 23, 2018

Excellent material on a much needed topic. The course brought together a good number of strong and important ideas, well backed by research and with very interesting and relevant guest speakers.

NR

Apr 05, 2020

Very insightful course, opened my eyes to the importance of an indepth analysis when considering charitable donations. Also introduced valuable resources when considering how and what to give.

1 - 25 of 108 Reviews for Effective Altruism

By John G T

Mar 29, 2017

Thought provoking and persuasive, this course is both an excellent introduction to the study of ethics and to the growing movement striving for a better world - effective altruism.

By Luz-Elena C

Apr 19, 2017

What a wonderful course. It gives each of us a way to help in the best possible manner. One would think that only serious philanthropists can help when in fact every single person can.

By Karen P

Jan 12, 2019

This course is excellent, especially for those wanting to understand the basics to ethics and Peter Singer’s (and others) thinking. Good amount of detail and well-structured.

By Jaime L

Oct 26, 2018

The course a very good start, with interesting information on how to make ethical decisions.. however it never provides a clear conclusion to the topic and it moves to the charity topic, focusing entirely on the efficiency and reasons to give money to charities, without discussing further the principle of charities to begin with.

Effective Altruism is much bigger than just charity works, therefore i am not pleased with the program's agenda and emphasis on charities.

By Hyunsook K

Sep 01, 2015

No passion is on his lecture. There is only dryness and ethical superior pride through his theory.. Altruism without love is an empty vanity and well-designed commercial intention for selling his theory.

By Gustavo C

May 20, 2019

To think that an ancient philosophy not applicable to modern life is like thinking that the sun is not effective because it is old. Effective altruism goes beyond the personal satisfaction of doing good and feeling good about what I can achieve, Eastern philosophy teaches us that it produces twice the joy of giving than what produces receiving. I am very grateful for this course and the orientation that Dr Singer has given to such a relevant topic in an era of individual selfishness.

By Luis H S

May 13, 2020

Este materia me pareció sumamente interesante, engloba conceptos específicos del altruismo y sobre todo que desconocía como podría ser mas efectivo o Rentable un proyecto de Donación.

también siento que Peter Singer, es una persona muy preparada en el tema, muy ameno lo que lo hace que los tiempos de exposición se sientan mas breves y productivos.

Muchas Felicidades!!! y me siento muy satisfecho por haber elegido este curso.

Muchas Gracias por l;a oportunidad.

By jacqueline r

Aug 22, 2015

Excellent course, very useful. However, the examples of people to be admired for giving their kidneys to strangers, etc.were quite beyond the realm of the everyday life of most individuals with family responsibilities, etc. The course did reinforce my own attitudes toward most "charities," which are not effective nor altruistic. The lectures were just that, lectures, rather bland because we are used to animations and charts to illustrate lessons.

By Ian R

Mar 16, 2020

Very well structured course that covers many major themes of the theory of ethics , while also balancing theory with practice. Peter Singer is an excellent lecturer who helps you in the course to build up arguments on a sound and consistent reasoning basis. The success of this course measures in the end, when the thinking provoked by this course makes you realise that you cannot find excuses to ignore the call of being an effective altruist.

By Maria C G

Aug 21, 2015

Excellent course, highly recommended if you are interested in supporting or giving to charities, getting to know how you can effectively donate and where your money is being invested properly and it's effectiveness. Gives great insight on what types of advocative work is being done, evaluation methods, criteria and what people should support. Very clear information on how to lead a better life and a more meaningful, helpful, altruistic life.

By Taryn R

May 14, 2020

I beyond appreciated and looked forward to Professor Singer's weekly lessons on Effective Altruism. It provided great history on the theories and debates of Altruism, but more importantly it provided tangible, action related learning. I have come away from the course with a game plan on how to implement my own charitable goals that are backed by data-driven resources and tools.

By Learner I

Aug 19, 2015

This is a fabulous course. I think anyone interested in giving and philanthropy should take this course, to better understand the concept of effectiveness. I took this course to identify my own role for giving, and the content and interviews helped me to shape my vision within my modest income. Hurrah for Peter Singer and Princeton offering this course to the world!

By Jesus A

May 15, 2020

EFFECTIVE ALTRUISM.

Debo confesar que para mi el altruismo era algo que no realizaba anteriormente, pero al tomar este curso, se como actuar de ahora en adelante. Es un curso muy completo y muy bien estructurado.

No me queda mas que agradecer por la oportunidad que me han brindado al obtener los conocimientos necesarios sobre altruismo.

Atentamente: Jesús Cuevas.

By Antonio F

Apr 22, 2020

I've enjoyed in prof. Singers lectures, because he is so calm, fluid and on point, that everything goes smoothly. At my first year of college i wrote a essay form Singers book ''Practical ethics'' so, with this course i have refreshed my memory in ethics and learned a lot new ideas and information that will me do good in my everyday life.

By JAIME Q

May 07, 2020

Exelente curso me abrio la mente a otras perspectivas y creo que me plantea un objetivo serio a mediano plazo en poder emplazar mis energias y lo que pueda hecer por los demàs. Es un curso con buenos criterios y a la altura de las exigencias de hoy en dia, felicitaciones a los organizadores y sobre todo a Peter.

By Felipe A G A

May 06, 2020

A great perspective over philosophy and how it makes you find the problem within our daily lives, especially on our actions. But it doesn´t focus on the problem only, rather, it gives you tips on how to act in effective ways to help others, and to push forward top charities with money and information.

By MARIA J P C

Aug 23, 2015

It's been a great experience to now deep this amazing Peter Singer's proposal. I appreciate a lot the way that ethical ideas, feelings and projects are exposed and shared with all of us. The result is not only to get more knowledge about effective altruism but to have the chance of changing our lives.

By Eva G

May 02, 2020

This was an excellent course! I particularly enjoyed the interview and discussion sections and appreciated the philosophical background. I consider myself an Effective Altruist and I am glad to have been able to go more in depth into the topic. Thank you Professor Singer! You are wonderful.

By David L

May 26, 2016

Professor Singer does a wonderful job of bringing in lauded philanthropists to help make this course a reality. My only qualm was with my expectation of a greater philosophical aspect to the course: he does spend some time on Kant and Hume's ethical dichotomy which was wonderful though.

By Esteban R

Jul 09, 2017

This course is important on many levels, and take the lessons seriously as your way of life could develop in new and more enriching ways if you fully engage. The final essay can be complex depending on which question you choose, so try your best to answer as carefully as you can.

By j. s

Oct 17, 2019

This course gave me a perspective on altruism that I would not have considered on my own. It made me think about the the situations of worldly conditions and how our lives are truly different around the world. It makes you think about what might be the right thing for you to do.

By Janka E

Sep 25, 2015

For me it was a fantastic course. This is exactly that time in my life when I'm alwasy thinking about what I should work and how can I help as much as I can. This course helped me a lot and I recived a lot of good ideas for my essay and for my life also.

By Tarey L K

Aug 29, 2015

I could listen to Professor Singer all day. He draws you in, gets you involved and leaves you wanting more. One can actually see the high regard that his guest speakers have for him and his guests are always interesting and sometimes even fascinating.

By Mantas M

May 18, 2016

A nice introduction, but having already been acquainted with the material somewhat, it came of as a bit stale. Some of the bits on moral theories at the beginning were new and informative, and the interviews were interesting regardless.

By Edij

Feb 16, 2020

A great course!! It lays a good foundation on why and how to live and enjoy a meaningful life with many inspiring example of the people, young guys and seniors, who've demonstrated that living altruistically is joyful and productive.