Back to Managing Big Data with MySQL

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing Big Data with MySQL by Duke University

This course is an introduction to how to use relational databases in business analysis. You will learn how relational databases work, and how to use entity-relationship diagrams to display the structure of the data held within them. This knowledge will help you understand how data needs to be collected in business contexts, and help you identify features you want to consider if you are involved in implementing new data collection efforts. You will also learn how to execute the most useful query and table aggregation statements for business analysts, and practice using them with real databases. No more waiting 48 hours for someone else in the company to provide data to you – you will be able to get the data by yourself! By the end of this course, you will have a clear understanding of how relational databases work, and have a portfolio of queries you can show potential employers. Businesses are collecting increasing amounts of information with the hope that data will yield novel insights into how to improve businesses. Analysts that understand how to access this data – this means you! – will have a strong competitive advantage in this data-smitten business world....

DQ
Jun 20, 2020

One of the best course till now I find on Coursera, well structured everything and practice questions made me feel like real life problems as data were from real database of dognition and ua_dillards.

YC
Aug 19, 2019

Nice and well-organized course. I joined this course after self-studying on SQL for a few days. The context is really nice. The only problem is the Teradata is not stable. I tried very hard to login.

676 - 700 of 870 Reviews for Managing Big Data with MySQL

By David A K

May 15, 2021

Let me say a very big thank you to my instructor Jana for the good work done. I am most grateful.

Actually the insights gained from this course especially from entity relationship diagrams and relational schemas made it so interesting even though the exercises were tough and very detail, they were the tools that made me understand joins which forms a very critical part of the exercises.

This is actually going to play a pivotal role in my career even though I still have to deal with unstructured data to make it complete.

Once again thanks a lot Jana for the wonderful work done.

By Ytsen d B

Aug 25, 2017

This is actually a very hard course.

It starts off very easy by explaining how relational data bases are shaped.

Then you are taught how to manage real life data bases, which are messy.

By the end, the questions they make you exercise force you to write rather complicated SQL code.

It makes you wonder if SQL really is the best way to store (and retrieve to collate) data ...

But you'll be kind of a SQL ninja if you manage to complete the final quiz :)

By shivangi n

Mar 16, 2019

The course is exceptional! I am a person with non-technical background and loved how all the assignments were so comprehensively laid out which made them easy to follow.

I just felt the last week was quite heavy in comparison with other weeks. Had I practiced the same level of questions in weeks earlier, I would have completed it in less time.

No other complaints. If you are new to the language it is good course to begin with.

By John H

Feb 16, 2018

The pace was really good (may be to fast for some) and I learned a lot during the amount of time. The only really annoying thing was getting on the teradata (and sometimes jupyter) website. If you only have certain timeslots during the week to work on this course, and you can't log in during this time, well, that is annoying and caused me to miss deadlines. For this reason, I had to switch sessions, which cost me another 42€.

By Eunice C

Jun 4, 2020

A very useful and insightful course that accelerates your entry into the SQL world. The course is jam-packed with lectures, exercises and hands-on sessions. Lots of written information and tips were provided to support the learning experience. The only issues are technical ones which many students face, such as not being able to get an account to access the database so we resorted to sharing other students' account.

By priya x

Mar 2, 2016

Good material but heavy work-load, especially since we are learning two new skills -SQL syntax and Data analysis. Request instructors/TA's to guide students more in the forums. Analysis like computing avg daily revenue should be explained better as I spent too much time figuring it out and the forum answers were way off. However, this being an online class I was very impressed with the detailed worksheets in MYSQL.

By Chen Q

Oct 10, 2017

It is am amazing course and I learned so much about SQL functions into real-life practice!

The only problem is Teradata. The interface's unstable sometimes, and it may interfere with studying pace of several students and deadline is unable to meet with Teradata broken down.

Anyway, it is a well-prepared, and high-quality course from DUKE University. The teaching staff and mentor's efforts are so appreciated!

By Tatiana O

Dec 25, 2017

It is really good. But If you need fast results and a certificate within a short period of time I strongly recommend to choose another course of SQL for beginners and probably return here later to horn your skills. It`s not like this course provide you very unique or deep information, but working with exercises and quizzes take such a significant time because of the tests themselves and data to work with.

By Zhiqing L

Feb 17, 2018

This is a really good course. Dr Borg's video is easy to understand and the MYSQL exercise is awesome.

I know how to write sql after taking this course and become less afraid of writing code/query.

The only reason I give this course 4 stars is that my experience with Teradata is terrible and frustrating! And their wiki website is down.....Not sure why this course uses such a out-of-date database...

By Viviana V L

Nov 28, 2016

I really enjoyed the course and found it very useful. I can write a basic query now !! and I got a bit more understanding of how to work with databases. My only recommendation for the mentors is to work on more samples of queries using Teradata and add the answers to the week assignments. I'm still wondering a few answers and not sure if the output of my queries was the expected.

By Christoph B

Jun 23, 2020

Started really well, step by step - great!

But in the end I felt a overwhelmed, by really long queries, very complicated, long struggle.

Happy, that new Database was set up just before I got into trouble!

Annoying that Week 5, Last Exercise Question 12 is still not fixed: Min instead of Max. That is REALLY upsetting! Afterall, we are paying a lot of money every month!

Jana was lovely!

By Andrés F M E

Feb 23, 2021

Overall a very complete and intuitive course, a great deal of explanation and resources, aswell as individual work to test our learning. I consider, nevertheless, that the focus on the calculations of revenue, on the Teradata excercises, is unnecessary; it uses a specific methodology for the concrete case, but is hardly applicable in other projects given the nature of the data.

By Diego C

The course is very well organized and it's very useful to learn SQL. Be patient, take your time and to go through all the excercises to take advantage of its content.

However, the database platforms (in my case Teradata) was shut down for a couple of days, which can delay your accomplishment. I consider that the team of the course should warn when these issues are generalized.

By David H

Jul 4, 2020

Great opportunity to learn the fundamentals of SQL queries. Some of the material gets real complex without much explanation so it can be frustrating trying to track down the right answers and logic. This course definitely takes more time than what they allot so plan accordingly, but in the end I enjoyed learning the fundamentals of SQL from this course.

By Carlos V

Dec 4, 2016

Really good Course if you have the time to follow all the workshops and assignments, because they take quite a lot of time to complete, so allocate some extra time so you can learn properly, the good thing is that at the end you will have a solid understanding of SQL, Query’s and how to mine data for answers. Highly recommended for SQL starters.

By Guisseau G

Jan 11, 2021

Very good inputs and step by step approach to learn sql

Quiz turns out to be quite complex - you really need to practice !

It would be useful to get a written summary of the course and key functions that we have utilized - I understand everything is availabel on the internet - but it would be faster to retireve information in my opinion

By Sean E B

Feb 18, 2020

It's set out quite well and the videos and excercises are generally set out well and allow you to get good practice and learning.

However the difficulty really ramps up during week 4 and especially week 5 (you are warned of this). The spike in time commitment and difficulty is quite overwhelming if you are an actual beginner.

By Jakub K

Sep 11, 2016

The course should be longer, prepare yourself you are going to need a lot of time, unless you have previous experience from SQL. It'll take maybe even more than one session. But it is worth it, because it covers all skills you need for working with SQL. If you really need to learn SQL, there is no better option.

By Nicholas A P

May 12, 2018

Overall, it was a great course and I learned a lot from it. I think that what could have been better is if the content of the course was more spaces out right than tight because I think for Weeks 4 and 5, I needed to learn more about how to write advanced queries.

By ZEHUAN L

Nov 16, 2016

It's very practical but hard at the same time. I like the teaching style. What's makes me little uncomfortable is that the teradata system guidance is kind of obscure. However, the Jupiter guidance is really yummy. Hope to learn more sql applications in the future.

By demehin I

Feb 28, 2016

The course is very thorough but i woul have loved it if you had a way for instructors to better reach out to classmates rather than leave things to chance and everyone is confused for month. But either way the experience is priceless. Would recommend it to anyone

By Adarsh B

Jul 5, 2017

Excellent course structure designed for students with no technical background to understand how industry analytics works.Real company databases donated by dognition and dillard's helped a lot to understand real analysis problems.A good experience overall.

By Humberto J

Oct 9, 2017

Great course, I enjoyed it a lot and learned more than I was expecting to. There was a lot of problems towards the end with Teradata, the website was down for a couple of days. A bit more of technical support from the administrator would have been nice.

By VINCENZO A

I won't give 5 stars only because Jupyter from time to time has crashed. Apart from that, I think the course is well done and also the exercises are very helpful.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn MySQL, now it's on me to get better.

By Harshit C

Jul 22, 2020

It was a great experience learning with all this good content with the best teacher. Just need to improve your service and query problem. I have faced issues while doing the practice of Teradata I complain about it many times but no response.