Back to The Ancient Greeks

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Ancient Greeks by Wesleyan University

This is a survey of ancient Greek history from the Bronze Age to the death of Socrates in 399 BCE. Along with studying the most important events and personalities, we will consider broader issues such as political and cultural values and methods of historical interpretation....

AS
Apr 22, 2018

This has been an enthralling course which introduces you to the world of the Ancient Greek. Thank you Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak, and all the course creators and mentors, for this excellent course.

MH
Sep 3, 2015

Brilliant course. Superbly assembled and presented material. And I love the prof's wry sense of humour!\n\nI've been wanting to learn about this subject for many years. Highly recommended.

126 - 150 of 486 Reviews for The Ancient Greeks

By Beth

Nov 7, 2018

This course is outstanding!! Professor Andy is full of passion for his subject - and it's a fascinating one! Free quizzes is an act of generosity in this day of restricted access Mooc's. Very active course mentors too! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

By Francine

Jul 31, 2016

An excellent course, one of the best I’ve done at Coursera. I hope Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak will give more courses on this subject, starting with the end of this course, the 4th century BCE, progressing to the 3rd, 2nd etcetera BCE!

By James R M I

Nov 15, 2015

Professor is very knowledgable and honest about the topic. As a student of classical civilizations I loved his simple communication style to explain concepts that tend to become overly complicated by bad professors. Definitely enjoyed

By Corina

Aug 9, 2016

I found Wesleyan University's course "The Ancient Greeks" rich in varied information. Professor Andrew Szegedy-Maszak's lectures are particularly thoughtful and the quizzes are clear. An altogether enjoyable, well-worth experience.

By Madhuri L R

Jul 2, 2020

The outlines of the Greek civilization are very well crafted in this course, especially professor Andrew Szegedy is very calm and composed, authoritative as well. Neither he exaggerates the things nor he disowns.

Thank you all...

By Deborah S

Nov 19, 2017

I very much enjoyed this course, which was wide-ranging and informative, while still being accessible for someone (me) who didn't know much about the period. It has definitely inspired me to go on and learn more about the period.

By Agnieszka M C

May 18, 2019

I will recommend this course. I was astonished by how many words, expressions come from greek language. The idea of democracy, the society in the ancient Greece all based up on the sources from that time. I enjoyed all 7 weeks.

By Xiao C

Sep 28, 2020

Absolutely enjoyed this class. The professor is great, knowledgeable, persuasive, very effective. I would take another class of his for sure.

It would be great if the dead links on the reading assignment pages could be fixed.

By Alan A

Jul 25, 2020

This is a wonderful course. I have learnt so much about 1000 years of Greek history, and I am left inspired to find out even more. There is a lot packed into the seven weeks of video lectures, but it never feels overwhelming.

By Alan G

Jun 26, 2020

I enjoyed this course along with the lecturers knowledge, only down side was the transcripts of the lectures. has nobody every though of doing a spell/sense check on these? In one Alcibiades was spelt in about 5 different ways!

By Florence

Jul 31, 2016

Fantastic course. Very enjoyable, quite clear and shed light on quite a lot of complex concepts. It's not hard to follow, but certainly arouses your curiosity and makes you explore more. Thank you for all these great lectures.

By Paul I

Oct 28, 2015

I found The Ancient Greeks course to be excellent, highly informative and well presented. I found the lectures, use of maps and pictures of ancient artifacts to be most useful in supporting the topic. Highly recommended.

By Luis R P R

Apr 2, 2020

Wonderfully given lectures by a great Professor. I'm so happy to have taken this course again and revive the knowledge I acquired when I took it for the first time 7 years ago. This time I'll have a Diploma! Thank you!!

By David D

Aug 7, 2016

Totally excellent and enthralling! The subject matter is well treated and easy to follow. The quality of the videos are top as well. I fell the the mix of lecture, reading and quiz at the end of the week was just right.

By Leonardo R A

May 6, 2021

Hay áreas temáticas muy variadas sobre el mundo griego antiguo: cultura, guerras, política; me pareció especialmente apreciable que el profesor cuestiona constantemente la certeza de lo que sabemos sobre la historia.

By Jared T

I loved the material. It made me interested more in Ancient Greece. some of the links are broken. I also wish the proffesor would give some list of books to read for after the course. Again it was a fantastic class.

By HERMINIA M

May 11, 2021

Thank you for providing the community of Coursera this course on ancient Greece as well documented and excellently explained by the teacher. Thanks to the Wesleyan University and thanks to Professor Szegedy-Maszak.

By Lorraine H

Oct 5, 2020

Lecturer was very knowledgeable and quite interesting. He varied his intensity from lecture to lecture to give the student a break. His visuals were pretty good although sometimes the maps could have been clearer.

By ziqiang y

Jun 5, 2020

An excellent course! The content is well chosen and organized, the quiz is well designed to help students to grab the main ideas. The professor is a real gentleman! It's very pleasant to listen to his teaching.

By Goh J W

May 27, 2021

The course was really informative and the professor very engaging. I have always been interested in Ancient Greek history and culture - thank you so much for this course and the very accessible course materials!

By Kostas G

Dec 29, 2019

Taking this course was a fantasic jurney to the past learning about the accomplishments of the ancient Greeks. I would dare say that as a Greek myself it was a unique experience and overall an amazing course.

By Helena S

Apr 14, 2021

Excelente curso. Realmente disfrute cada segmento. Los relatos y datos historicos fueron bien presentados. Algo que definitivamente incrementara mi conocimiento cultural. Estoy muy agradecida por este curso.

By Nilufer R

Jan 11, 2016

Outstanding course, delivered measuredly, concisely, and clearly. A wonderful panoramic introduction to the Ancient Greeks. Inspires one to dig deeper. Thank you so much for offering this course on Coursera.

By Disney A M

Jul 10, 2020

An amazing and interesting course, the a complete structure of the history of this civilization, is developed, grow up and it's fell. Without a word about the professor, he´s so cool about all the course.

By Linda N

Oct 14, 2019

Fabulous course ! stimulating and challenging in equal measure - perfect base to continue personal study in this area. A seven week course simply cannot do justice to this material - keep on learning!!!.