Back to The Ancient Greeks

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Ancient Greeks by Wesleyan University

This is a survey of ancient Greek history from the Bronze Age to the death of Socrates in 399 BCE. Along with studying the most important events and personalities, we will consider broader issues such as political and cultural values and methods of historical interpretation....

AS

Apr 22, 2018

This has been an enthralling course which introduces you to the world of the Ancient Greek. Thank you Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak, and all the course creators and mentors, for this excellent course.

GL

Oct 15, 2015

Well presented, wonderful insight into the world of the ancient Greeks. I learnt a lot, and it has whetted my appetite for more. I really loved this course, and enjoyed it very much indeed

151 - 175 of 527 Reviews for The Ancient Greeks

By Alan G

Jun 26, 2020

I enjoyed this course along with the lecturers knowledge, only down side was the transcripts of the lectures. has nobody every though of doing a spell/sense check on these? In one Alcibiades was spelt in about 5 different ways!

By Florence

Jul 31, 2016

Fantastic course. Very enjoyable, quite clear and shed light on quite a lot of complex concepts. It's not hard to follow, but certainly arouses your curiosity and makes you explore more. Thank you for all these great lectures.

By Paul I

Oct 28, 2015

I found The Ancient Greeks course to be excellent, highly informative and well presented. I found the lectures, use of maps and pictures of ancient artifacts to be most useful in supporting the topic. Highly recommended.

By Luis R P R

Apr 2, 2020

Wonderfully given lectures by a great Professor. I'm so happy to have taken this course again and revive the knowledge I acquired when I took it for the first time 7 years ago. This time I'll have a Diploma! Thank you!!

By David D

Aug 7, 2016

Totally excellent and enthralling! The subject matter is well treated and easy to follow. The quality of the videos are top as well. I fell the the mix of lecture, reading and quiz at the end of the week was just right.

By Leonardo R A

May 6, 2021

Hay áreas temáticas muy variadas sobre el mundo griego antiguo: cultura, guerras, política; me pareció especialmente apreciable que el profesor cuestiona constantemente la certeza de lo que sabemos sobre la historia.

By Jared T

I loved the material. It made me interested more in Ancient Greece. some of the links are broken. I also wish the proffesor would give some list of books to read for after the course. Again it was a fantastic class.

By HERMINIA M

May 11, 2021

Thank you for providing the community of Coursera this course on ancient Greece as well documented and excellently explained by the teacher. Thanks to the Wesleyan University and thanks to Professor Szegedy-Maszak.

By Lorraine H

Oct 5, 2020

Lecturer was very knowledgeable and quite interesting. He varied his intensity from lecture to lecture to give the student a break. His visuals were pretty good although sometimes the maps could have been clearer.

By ziqiang y

Jun 5, 2020

An excellent course! The content is well chosen and organized, the quiz is well designed to help students to grab the main ideas. The professor is a real gentleman! It's very pleasant to listen to his teaching.

By Goh J W

May 27, 2021

The course was really informative and the professor very engaging. I have always been interested in Ancient Greek history and culture - thank you so much for this course and the very accessible course materials!

By Konstantinos G

Dec 29, 2019

Taking this course was a fantasic jurney to the past learning about the accomplishments of the ancient Greeks. I would dare say that as a Greek myself it was a unique experience and overall an amazing course.

By Helena S

Apr 14, 2021

Excelente curso. Realmente disfrute cada segmento. Los relatos y datos historicos fueron bien presentados. Algo que definitivamente incrementara mi conocimiento cultural. Estoy muy agradecida por este curso.

By Nilufer R

Jan 11, 2016

Outstanding course, delivered measuredly, concisely, and clearly. A wonderful panoramic introduction to the Ancient Greeks. Inspires one to dig deeper. Thank you so much for offering this course on Coursera.

By Disney A M

Jul 10, 2020

An amazing and interesting course, the a complete structure of the history of this civilization, is developed, grow up and it's fell. Without a word about the professor, he´s so cool about all the course.

By Linda N

Oct 14, 2019

Fabulous course ! stimulating and challenging in equal measure - perfect base to continue personal study in this area. A seven week course simply cannot do justice to this material - keep on learning!!!.

By Nadine A

Dec 31, 2015

This course was simply fantastic ! I was captivated. Pr. Szegedy-Maszak is such a great teacher. He makes you really live and love the subject. I'm looking forward for new courses. Thank you very much.

By Francisco S C C

Apr 6, 2020

This course really helped me to understand one of the empires which fascinated me the most and its influence on today's society. Thank you very much for this thought-out and well-presented course

By FELIPE M

Jul 20, 2017

Great course. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot. The fact that there were liks with assigned readings was really educational. Thank a lot to Coursera and to Professor Andrew Szegedy-Mazak.

By Marina P O

Nov 10, 2016

Me surpreendi muito com a qualidade do curso que deve-se, aliás, ao excelente professor Andrew Szegedy-Maszak.

Recomendo a todos os interessados em aprender mais sobre a Grécia Antiga.

By Robert B

Aug 25, 2015

Excellent course. Professor's Andy's calm and careful delivery is precise, scholarly and entertaining. I particularly enjoyed the readings, which I urge other students not to skip.

By Marcelo G d S

May 17, 2021

FOI UM ÓTIMO CURSO. COM ISSO, CONSEGUI ADQUIRIR UM POUCO MAIS, SOBRE OS ELEMENTOS DA SOCIEDADE GREGA VOLTADOS A CULTURA, AO SOCIAL, AO ECONOMICO, AO POLITICO MILITAR DESSA ÉPOCA.

By Felipe d A S

Apr 16, 2017

Very good. The readings indicated helped to expand my knowledge of Ancient Greece. Every undergraduate student in History, Philosophy, Archeology etc, must take this course.

By Michael S

Oct 1, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. The lectures were easy to follow and the additional reading material fit to the lectures. I would subscribe to a follow-up course any time!

By Nuria M P

Sep 15, 2017

Extraordinario curso, fácil de seguir aún siendo en inglés por la traducción de los vídeos y el nivel de inglés en las preguntar tipo test finales. Altamente recomendable.