Back to Paleontology: Ancient Marine Reptiles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Paleontology: Ancient Marine Reptiles by University of Alberta

Paleontology: Ancient Marine Reptiles is a four-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of the evolutionary changes that occur when air-breathing terrestrial animals return to water. This course examines the diversity, adaptations, convergence, and phylogenetic relationships of extinct marine reptiles. Students will explore three major groups of marine reptiles: ichthyosaurs, plesiosaurs, and mosasaurs. Watch a preview of the course here: https://uofa.ualberta.ca/courses/paleontology-marine-reptiles...

JC

Apr 02, 2016

An excellent introduction to the sometimes overlooked marine predators that lived alongside the dinosaurs! A lot of detail is presented here, so be prepared to act like a sponge and soak it all up.

TO

Jun 21, 2016

I thought this would be a fun simple class, but I DID NOT know anything about marine reptiles, and it showed. I learned a lot and this instruction was very helpful and very educational.

26 - 50 of 145 Reviews for Paleontology: Ancient Marine Reptiles

By Archie G

Aug 25, 2017

This is a great course that teaches you so many things about anci

By Matthew J C

Mar 15, 2018

I really liked this course! It illustrates the concepts well, and is a hands-on course in that it asks many informative questions during the videos. The quizzes are not overly hard, or easy. If you are interested in the subject, take this course! (If you are also thinking about the course about therapods, keep in mind this course is considerably longer than that one.)

By Eden H

Jun 08, 2018

Incredible course outlining the evidence and theories associated with the rise and fall of ancient marine reptiles, exploring osteology, pathology, locomotion, phylogeny, taxonomy, geological time, clade dispersal, natural history, evolution, reproduction, diet, and survival strategies. Thank you so much for this course!!

By Basil R

Apr 29, 2016

Again, wonderfully clear and informative.

By fernando g u

May 12, 2018

Por fin comencé a vislumbrar el problema acuático de nuestros antepasados ​​más lejanos. El espectacular árbol filogenético.

Gracias

By Carlos G

Jul 10, 2017

Very good

By Eugene Y

Feb 01, 2017

I've just finish this course and it is the last one for me in the series of the paleontology courses provided by University of Alberta. And I must say, I'm simply blown away by all these courses! The topics covered are absolutely fascinating, the material presentation exceeded all my expectations and Scott Persons, the presenter, is probably the most engaging teacher I've ever seen, absolutely perfect at holding attention and delivering the material.

I liked the way the course is structured - individually following the evolutionary tree of all three major groups. It's really interesting to see how evolution worked out for them.

The material itself isn't short of terminology so it's treats listeners seriously, providing nitty-gritty details of how the evolution process took place, I really appreciate that. And it's never overdone, so a person without a special knowledge background can go through course just fine. Although it won't hurt to start these courses with Dino 101 first :)

Interactive materials are a very nice touch and a welcome addition to excellent videos and great lecture notes. Loved the use of fossils as well, it's a joy to get a look at some treasures a university like this has in their possession.

Hopefully, the staff behind these courses will be able to find an opportunity and new topics to continue to share knowledge about that mesmerizing time of prehistoric life. Until then, many thanks to all of them!

By James M

Dec 10, 2016

This was a most informative course. and for me. not an easy one by any means. For an under-graduate, I would say is essential. Well done! And thank you!

By Bruno M P

Jul 22, 2017

Satisfied all my expectations. Thank you so much.

By Paul A

Apr 25, 2018

An excellently presented course.

By Charlotte T

Apr 02, 2018

Great course, notes are well written and videos easy to understand. Very informative!

By Tripp F

Apr 06, 2017

awwwwwsome

By Monica d l P

Jun 12, 2016

Wonderful... just love how much there's to learn. Love the exposition the data, how it was developed. The perfect timing of the sound and english subtitles.

Excellent professor.

I will enrol to more Paleontology courses

By Nelson A V V

Mar 16, 2017

Muy interesante! Puntual y Didáctico!

By Fernando R E

Jul 21, 2016

Fantastic! I would love some more of this teaching approach on other animals groups! i.e. Pterosaurs, whales, etc.

By Marcus V B C

Sep 03, 2017

Excepcional!!!...fantástico!...eu aprendi muito mesmo!!

By Timi A

May 25, 2018

Great short course, perfect for an introduction to ancient marine reptiles. I recommend taking the other Palaeontology courses by this university on this site if you haven't already.

By Siddhant I

Apr 12, 2018

i enjoyed the videos and lectures a lot, especially the sauropterygians and mosasauroids, as they are one of my favorite aquatic reptiles. through this course, i could learn a lot of extra information on the anatomy of a reptile as well as how intelligently they were adapted to ocean life.

the sir who was teaching us was excellent. i was totally engrossed into the videos and did not get distracted a minute. even the in-video quiz and the phylogenetic tree was amazing and let me apply my critical thinking and logic to solve it and also to analyse the tree.

but one problem was that whenever i posted a new thread on the Discussion Forum, no one responded to my queries.

apart from this the experience was excellent, and i want to thank the instructor who made my journey through this course very interesting!

By Chris V

Jul 19, 2017

Another awesome MOOC by University of Alberta. The provided material is on point and easy to follow and understand and the videos presented by Scott are brilliant as well. Definitely recommend this course to anyone even slightly interested in palaeontology and it really makes me regret my choice of studies. :D

By matthew b

Aug 16, 2017

Great class, learned a lot!

By Kazunori M

Feb 11, 2017

Wonderful ! I have not been know about ancient Marine Reptiles until today. So, I am really thank you to teach and give knowledge for me.

By Shanise M

May 10, 2018

Had fun and learned a lot! I would be happy to take this course again.

By Mohamed M S L

Mar 23, 2018

Excelente, muy ameno e interactivo

By Adam W M

Feb 13, 2018

There are a few errors in the material because of more recent finds, but overall its great

By Owais R