Back to Paleontology: Ancient Marine Reptiles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Paleontology: Ancient Marine Reptiles by University of Alberta

Paleontology: Ancient Marine Reptiles is a four-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of the evolutionary changes that occur when air-breathing terrestrial animals return to water. This course examines the diversity, adaptations, convergence, and phylogenetic relationships of extinct marine reptiles. Students will explore three major groups of marine reptiles: ichthyosaurs, plesiosaurs, and mosasaurs. Watch a preview of the course here: https://uofa.ualberta.ca/courses/paleontology-marine-reptiles...

JC

Apr 02, 2016

An excellent introduction to the sometimes overlooked marine predators that lived alongside the dinosaurs! A lot of detail is presented here, so be prepared to act like a sponge and soak it all up.

TO

Jun 21, 2016

I thought this would be a fun simple class, but I DID NOT know anything about marine reptiles, and it showed. I learned a lot and this instruction was very helpful and very educational.

126 - 146 of 146 Reviews for Paleontology: Ancient Marine Reptiles

By Jesús G c V

Jun 04, 2019

genial !!!!

By Wolf

Jul 31, 2019

The course would have benefited from being spaced more over a week or two with more resources to cover but otherwise is was excellent and I learned a great deal from it.

By Claire H

Jul 28, 2019

I really love this course!!!! Its the best!!!!!

By Darwin D A O

Aug 10, 2019

this course is so good I learn a lot about how to differentiate the major groups of marine reptiles of the Mesozoic era and I learn new things about taxonomy anatomy and how the marines animals behave.

By Duncan S

Aug 14, 2019

this course was very fun and engaging. I learned a lot and will defiantly recommend it to other people.

By Heron A C

Aug 24, 2019

exelente

By Aneirin C P

Oct 17, 2019

I work in Las Vegas, Nevada, and our state fossil is the Ichthyosaur, which is part of why I wanted to take this course. I learned so much more than I expected and absolutely loved the way the instructor was engaging with the material; I felt I could pay attention and absorb the information without having to take too many breaks. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in paleontology, especially of the marine reptiles that are not spoken about as much as terrestrial ancient reptiles.

By Clotilde D

Feb 02, 2019

Great course, interesting topics and explanations, thanks !

By Stephanie V

Aug 20, 2017

Very informative and well presented. The videos could perhaps have been a little shorter. More videos of c. 15 mins are more readily digestible than fewer at c. 30 mins.

By Katherine M

Oct 16, 2016

Can be extremely complicated with all of the unfamiliar names, and I'd lose focus. As a result, I had a hard time keeping up. I'd recommend pausing and returning another day if you lose focus.

By Brice B

Sep 09, 2017

Good class! Covers a lot of material very clearly in four weeks. The use of the media is good with in-video quizzes, interactive geologic time scale and phylogenetic tree of life. Course notes are provided for each lessons (they are very well done). The presenter, Scott Persons, a PhD student at the time if I am not mistaken, is great, though he is very surprisingly not credited on the homepage of the course, which is a shame (especially given that he has also written his scripts among other things...) Unfortunately, too often the course sounded too much like a catalog of facts. More scientific reasoning would have been nice.

By Raena S

Aug 31, 2017

Very cheerful and concisely-speaking instructor! Although the course was vast in information to take it all in and could do better with more questions and quizzes. Very educative videos and data about ancient marine reptile palaentology. Beautiful course!

By Brian D M

Jun 10, 2016

excellent course would love to see more on early crocodilians and turtles, I know turtles have a debated history but would be awesome to look at possible origins.

By Marike S

May 25, 2017

Thank you for a wonderful course. Ancient Marine Reptiles isn't my main area of interest and I still enjoyed every second!

By DC

Jun 22, 2018

It's pretty good, though be prepared to be beaten to death with MANY often confusing and nearly unpronounceable taxonomic terms. Can't be helped I guess. Those who took the early vertebrate evolution course will be pleased to note that Mr. (Dr.?) Persons is a bit more subdued in this one with a bit less theatrical style.

By Francine

Mar 23, 2016

A very interesting course, but it's a pity one can only do the quizzes after payment.

By Richard K

May 13, 2017

very well presented course

By Andres A

Oct 24, 2017

I would like more information about taxonomy an evolution. The couse focus mostly in the aquatic problem

By Erick J A O

Mar 20, 2016

It would be great if even the auditing students cool take the quizzes.

By Talita S B

Oct 19, 2018

A maioria dos vídeos estavam com as legendas em inglês fora de sincronia. Do restante, ótimo curso

By Luis A

May 14, 2016

This is a very basic course that introduces you to the topic, but doesn't go into much depth. While it's clear that a lot of time was spent filming and creating the course material, I still would not recommend this course. Both the presentation itself and the in-video quizzes are unbelievably obnoxious. The presenter emphasizes every other word and talks in a very unnatural manner that makes it very tiring to listen to, and the in-video quizzes are far too basic and take up too much time. Sometimes you also have to go to an external site in order to do the activities, which are badly designed and just frustrating. Overall, I recommend waiting for a better course.