Back to Android App Components - Intents, Activities, and Broadcast Receivers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Android App Components - Intents, Activities, and Broadcast Receivers by Vanderbilt University

4.2

This 4 week MOOC builds upon the overview of Java and Android covered in Course 1 by delving deeper into core Android app components, such as intents, activities, and broadcast receivers. You will learn by example how to program these core Android components together with Android concurrency frameworks and basic Java file I/O classes (such as File and InputStream) and Android storage mechanisms (such as Shared Preferences). You'll also learn how to use the Git source code management system. Throughout this MOOC you'll work incrementally on a project involving downloading, storing, and display images from remote websites. Each week you will add additional capabilities to the project, based on material covered in the lecture videos. You'll spend roughly 4 hours per week watching video lectures, taking quizzes, and programming assignments with Java and Android....

AT

Oct 08, 2018

Very good examples, I recomend taking the optional homework if you can. I couldn't take every but you can learn a lot from this course.

CK

Sep 17, 2017

I really appreciate this course, too good to understand the android framework fundamentals and how they work together.\n\nThanks.

51 - 75 of 96 Reviews for Android App Components - Intents, Activities, and Broadcast Receivers

By Debaspreet C

Dec 20, 2016

Very good and high level course. The reason I give 4 out of 5 stars is coz this course uses two topics both of which were not covered in Java for Android Course : Java Concurrency/Threads and Java 8 lambda expressions. So I had to take a side route to learn these topics. Also if the programming assignments could be made non-optional and auto graded, that would be great.

By Theunis A H

May 25, 2017

Informative course on Intents, Activities and Broadcast Receivers. However relating the presentation material to the correct wording in the quizes was not always easy. But good course on these topics. I am however a seasoned android developer so Intents and Activities are already well defined in my knowledge. Was a good refresh.

By Adefunke

May 08, 2017

I learnt a lot about intents and activities from the course. It's great to have an idea of the theory behind intents and activities.

By Steve C

Jan 09, 2017

I really liked the course. I would have preferred to have been forced to do the optional assignment as it takes that little bit of extra motivation coming up to Christmas to do these optional assignments. I still plan to do them but being forced to do them to get a pass would help.

Otherwise I really like what I learning and how its presented. Just need to use it somehow to get a job!

By Aibek S

Jan 05, 2017

Very helpful! requires strong coding skills.

By Ehtisham R

Sep 10, 2017

The more focus is on theory part, and the theory is relatively complex

By Stefano P

Oct 25, 2016

It was I nice course but it would have been better start building an app from scratch in the practice sections

By Peter R

Oct 26, 2016

I found it a bit peculiar that there were no tasks (problem sets) that were actually required to be taken (and passed obviously) to receive this course's certificate - which kind of devalues the obtainment of such in my opinion as passing the course by taking quizzes only seems a bit easy to me. Also the whole presentation of the material seemed not as thoroughly thought through - compared to other moocs I have taken or even the first course of this specialization. Although I must admit once you totally got around the fact that this mooc relies heavily on supplementary learning material (I for one bought the ebook mentioned in the course - the busy coder's guide to android development - which is an excellent book and I probably would not have found out about without this mooc) and one gets used to it's approach it is not as bad. Altogether I have to say the course was no waste of my time since I certainly did learn a lot but it could use some honing on a few sides. On an absolute positive side I feel the urge to mention the case studies conclusively which were really eye opening if analysed alongside the mentioned ebook and doing some googling :) Looking forward to course number 3 of this specialization.

By Aadithyavarma

Apr 01, 2017

Gives an in-depth explanation about how intents and broadcast receivers work in android.

By Sherif S

Dec 11, 2016

v useful :)

By Daniel J

Jul 04, 2017

Overall I thought this course was great. Gave good conceptual knowledge to help understand the components listed above. Would have preferred trying to create an app from scratch rather than filling in a skeleton file. There are some concepts in the assignments that are not explained, and it would have been better to discover these through building a simple app from scratch rather than filling in the blanks. I can however appreciate that creating something from the beginning would be much more difficult to grade.

A compromise to this could be to have the optional assignments actually part of the final grade, so that we can more reliably review other people's solutions to the assignments.

By Hiramary M

Aug 21, 2017

Great course, content and teachers but not so didactic as the first course of this specialization, it should require the student to upload the assignments and grade them to evaluate more deeply the learning process

By Alex M

Mar 15, 2017

A lot of information to be absorbed.

I like how up-to-date the material is, though in some cases a a little too 'fresh'---assignments need some clean-up.

For the app case studies and assignments, should add simple UML sequence and/or collaboration diagrams to the existing class diagrams.

This would help to better illustrate the interactions of the various Android classes---especially if it could be animated.

By Ajay K

Feb 16, 2017

d

By Siddharth M

Jan 27, 2018

This course wasn't as interactive as the last one. I feel like making us make a small app from scratch and using that to explain each component would've made it easier to understand.

By Georgios K

May 30, 2019

A lot of theory, no practice

By ANKIT B

Jul 23, 2019

Fragment portion should be included in lessons

By Kiều T K

Jul 03, 2019

should be had TA for assignment

By Ayush M

Oct 02, 2019

good but if it's practical oriented it will be exellent

By OUAZZANI C A

Oct 27, 2019

The course is very interesting but there should be more practice.

By Rajatendu D

Dec 17, 2018

Understanding this course was really difficult.Should have used easier techniques to teach students.

By Scott W

Jan 31, 2017

Not enough coding opportunities.

By jesus

Feb 10, 2017

It was a good Mooc, but I think it should imply many more examples to be made by the own students along the course. I really liked the previous one (Java for Android) and of course I´m going to finish the rest of courses. It´s worth it. On the other hand, examples are good and explanations properly presented. Good... but not as good as the previous.

By Lidiya I

Aug 22, 2017

On one hand, there were simple and explicit things told for a too long time. I regret about attending a few lessons of the course, because it would be enough for me to look at the source code of demo applications, I guess no one would be eager to listen about the source code for minutes instead of looking at it. It's well documented and pretty obvious, why should any other explanations be provided?

On another hand, I learned a few things I missed earlier and got a few ideas for better realizations in my projects, so thank you for that.

By bantobalazs

Aug 19, 2017

The second part of the course was developing overly complicated apps, for downloading imageges.

Disappointed