Back to Animal Behaviour and Welfare

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Animal Behaviour and Welfare by The University of Edinburgh

Animal welfare has been described as a complex, multi-faceted public policy issue which includes important scientific, ethical, and other dimensions. Improving our understanding of animal welfare, involves the fascinating study of animal behavior as well as the challenge of accessing the emotions of animals. This is the On-Demand version of this course, which means you can start the course at any time and work through the course materials at your own pace. The materials and quizzes will always be available to you. You can come and talk about the course on Twitter using the hashtag #EdAniWelf...

AS
Jun 21, 2020

This course was very informative and interesting! I enjoyed the lectures as well as the instructors and also loved that it focused on many different kinds animal welfare issues. Definitely recommend!

PR
Apr 27, 2020

Its a nicely designed course. It sheds light on many animal care practices and welfare. Very well instructions and quiz sessions are arranged. Many important learnings and takeaways from the course.

51 - 75 of 884 Reviews for Animal Behaviour and Welfare

By vadali s s

Mar 28, 2018

This course has been amazing, i have learnt a lot more about animals and their behaviors as pets, strays and in captive. i received a better opportunity to understand the animal welfare issues around the world. Few videos that were shown in this session were heart touching. The course actually showed the sour truths about how animals suffer and how miserable their lives can be if not treated well. overall this course is very interesting and suites quite well for animal lovers.

By Sylvia S M

Mar 16, 2016

Opened my eyes to a lot of what is going on especially in the animal food industry, and animal behaviours and animal welfare that we don't consider when a visitor to a zoo or game farm. If more of us became aware, and understood the issues as well for both the industry and the animals, new policy via populace advocacy might help even further. It is taking too long for this, considering we live amongst animals for companions, and eat animals for survival. WEll most of us do.

By Manaswini G

Jun 3, 2020

This course was an wonderful experience, as I got several new perspective about life of an animal, the parts which were distressing did add on a lot of knowledge. I have interest in knowing and studying about Animal Rights and Psychology. So if such a course could be structured. This course structure is just what it needs to be and I feel so satisfied pursuing this course. Thanks for creating the course, to all the ones who taught us the course. Huge thanks to all of you.

By Bhavya D

Dec 18, 2020

Thank you Coursera for providing me this great opportunity to complete this very interesting, informative course on Animal Behavior and Welfare. As an animal lover and an enthusiast it really helped me with a lot of learning with animal behavior. I would also like to thank Coursera for sponsoring courses to the students of St. Agnes college Mangaluru, India. This made us receive the most valuable certificate for extra credits after completing the course successfully.

By Wolf

Aug 3, 2019

As someone who studies animals and trains many there were some points I wasn't quite on ball with but many I still agreed with on your reasoning. Personally I've always thought animals felt emotions (I mean how can a human feel it and not an animal if we are all animals with the same common ancestors) so I often try to read their body language to understand how they may be feeling to what we are doing. This was a good course though with some good readings and videos.

By Vishrutha R

Apr 1, 2020

I found the course quite informative and engaging in terms of understanding the stress factors that apply to animals with human interaction. However, I wanted to know more about how QBA is quantified and how enrichment planning can be evaluated. I particularly was looking forward to understanding the welfare of captive cetaceans and how they can be improved which wasn't part of the syllabus but I shall try to extrapolate. Thank you for the enjoyable course.

By SERGIO A A G

Oct 8, 2020

The course has a very good mode of use, the topics covered are of great help to understand and refresh knowledge, in my position as a professional zootechnician, human being, vegetarian, and caregiver of the environment, the neutral position seems very good to many topics that can generate susceptibility, I am very grateful for this opportunity to take this course and from all that I have learned, I know it will serve me a lot, a hug and thank you again

By Gonçalo G M D V

Nov 8, 2020

It was a fantastic course for the small amount of time provided to fit all the information in. The one constructive comment I leave and hope is taken seriously, is in week 5 (Farm animals) to change the hen's videos as they are extremely hard to concentrate and even listen to the person speaking, with all the background noise of the hundreds of hens. All in all, it's a fantastic course and a great start to animal behavior. Thank you for the experience.

By Riya S S

Oct 15, 2020

I have enjoyed this course so much..i enjoy studying animal behavior, ,mainly their natural behavior and how all we can improve their welfare according to which environment they are living in. I got to know a lot more about pets , captive animals, which I thought I knew earlier which was actually nothing compared to the information that I got through this course. I thank all my Teachers who taught and visually represented everything in detail.

By liuyuxi

Sep 10, 2017

This is a very good course, but unless u have some background or work in animal fields, u will find it's a little bit difficult to understand or hard to have a true feeling about what's it talking about. Actually animal welfare is a very big subject and needs long term improvement. This course needs u spend more time after class to learn and read, hope everybody enjoy it! Thank you to the trainer team to bring us such a wonderful course!

By Kylee S

Jun 30, 2020

I'm about to start studying biology with an emphasis in zoology and this course was a great start! The professors were all incredibly helpful and explained everything very well. The quizzes were challenging without being stressful. I live in the States, so taking a class on animal welfare from another country really helped to expand my perspective, since I'll most likely be learning from a very US-centric perspective from here on out.

By Elyse R

Mar 7, 2016

Wonderful course about animal welfare issues today and how to improve our their well-being. I have always been interested in animals and I thought I knew a lot about them. This course provided a lot of objective information about the experiences of all different species. There's still a lot to learn, but I will be recommending this course to anyone interested in understanding a little more than the basics about the welfare of animals.

By Caroline C

Apr 26, 2020

I enjoyed this course greatly because it was content dense, delivered at a great pace, slides were uncluttered and easy to follow. additional information was provided that was relevant and informative. Some aspects were hard to watch [little bear calling for mum] but that is the nature of the topic. Identifying stressors and how to reduce them. Would be great if all MOOC's were as well put together.

By Han H Z

Apr 30, 2020

This course is exceptionally well-created and covered many different aspects of this topic. The content was easy to understand, the instructors and interviewees were knowledgeable in their respective fields and gave many insights, and the quizzes were sufficiently challenging. Many additional readings are also available for those who want to learn more in-depth. I thoroughly enjoyed this course!

By Vanille

Apr 24, 2020

Very grateful for this course and all the information that I learnt. Animal welfare is a difficult subject since I'm vegan and an animal advocate, but it was very important to learn all these things to be a better voice for the animals. I really enjoyed weekly hangouts even though they weren't live - still a lot of insignts and useful information. I love all the teachers, thank you so much!

By Lucy W

Nov 17, 2016

I can't explain how much I enjoyed this course. It's content and resources were so easily accessible and easy to understand. I am just new into the Animal industry so this was a perfect way into it. The passion the lecturers had was so plain to see and I loved that. I makes me want more.

I am so happy I did this. So happy, I want to enrol on another MOOC :)

THANKS EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY <3

By HARINI.A

Its a very very very interesting and most eager to watch every single video about what will be the next and then. Thank you so much for the Edinburgh University for taking much efforts to make understand the learners who are interested in this subject like me!. !THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN!

By Annisa H

Jan 7, 2021

Hello to all lecturer and person that are in this animal behaviour and welfore course

I am Annisa Helmi from Indonesia, I am so Interest to Animal Welfare and my research now are Animal Behaviour

It's an honor for me to finish this course

The material are so easy to understand, it's also fun I can learn so much news knowledge

I am gonna try another course ^^

By Sara S

Nov 11, 2017

This course was very interesting, insightful and often surprising. It was fascinating to learn how much the welfare challenges depend on the species and the individual circumstances and to see how different research approaches are used to identify those challenges and improve animal's living conditions. Thanks to the team for this engaging introduction to a complex topic!

By Wesley L W

Thank you so for such an informative, enlightening, and thought provoking Animal Behavior and Welfare course. All the instructors are very engaging in their respective modules. I have gained what I feel is a great and encouraging starting point to continue learning about the scientific study of animal behavior and welfare, the findings, and positive results produced.

By LA C

May 7, 2020

I am very grateful, with all the teachers who gave their time to teach this course, I loved it and I have learned a lot, I would have liked all the videos to have subtitles in Spanish, but the rest everything was excellent, I thank the teachers And to the university that I hope to attend one day of my life, I would love it to be to study or simply to dress. Thank you

By Kirsteen N

Sep 2, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. The calibre of the course teaching resources is first-rate, and the lecturers were engaging, absorbing and clearly passionate about their areas of expertise. I'd highly recommend this short course to anyone who's interesting in learning more about the welfare of animals in the EU and other countries today. Well done to all concerned.

By Fabián T

Dec 28, 2020

Curso muy bueno, entendible. Me ayudo considerablemente a tener una mejor perspectiva del bienestar animal, a ver ciertos errores que solemos cometer al tratar a los animales bajo perspectivas netamente humanas.

Recomiendo este curso totalmente, profesoras muy buenas y expertas en el tema, las clases llenas de contenido y material audiovisual, los subtítulos bien.

By Marta G R

Dec 11, 2016

I have learned a lot about the research performed related to animal welfare and I have new perspectives of what it is needed to be improved, not based on my beliefs, feelings or point of view, but from the animals' perspective and needs to have a better welfare. I am so exited to be able to learn more about this topic and someday work somewhere I can apply it.

By Sofiia P

Apr 30, 2020

This course was very informative and offered me a new insight into some of the important issues and regulations of animal welfare. As a student interested in investing my future career in the science of animal well-being, I found it very interesting and will definitely use the information I've learned here as a guide in my upcoming studies and experiences.