Back to Animals, Self, and Society

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Animals, Self, and Society by University of Colorado Boulder

This course explores how animals and people are situated within the web of structures and connections known as “society.” Module 1 considers some of the key symbolic roles that animals play in society by investigating the practice of “thinking with animals.” We investigate how people construct different meanings of animals and the implications these meanings have for both animals and humans. You will gain first-hand experience of this by analyzing how animals are represented in the media. Modules 2 and 3 investigate human-animal relationships, including those that involve suffering as well as those that are beneficial. Although many people describe their pets as friends or family members, Module 2 takes a deeper dive into what constitutes friendship and family membership where other species are concerned. Module 3 examines the dark side of these relationships, focusing on animal abuse and its relationship to domestic violence. Module 4 focuses on people’s encounters with those animals outside the boundaries of the home and the farm. The way people understand and regard the species commonly considered “wild” shapes the treatment and moral status of these animals....

JL
Nov 21, 2020

A really great course, easy to follow lectures and great information! I had a really fun time with it, and the peer graded assignment really solidified what I had learnt. I definitely recommend! :)

WP
Feb 13, 2021

Awesome course! Learned a lot. Very interesting and easy to learn from. Educational. I am studying to be a vet tech and this will be a valuable course on my resume.

1 - 19 of 19 Reviews for Animals, Self, and Society

By GUIDO F K

Sep 28, 2020

Leslie Irvine was an excellent teacher. Even though the classes were short, the information was detailed and I learned a lot of different aspects of the animals sorrounding our current society that I had never considered before.

By Marcnel J

Sep 25, 2020

Easy to follow and understand.

By Winston A W

Sep 24, 2020

Excellent, thank you.

By Reshob R

Sep 29, 2020

This course provides a lot of examples regarding human and animal relationships. It also encourages us to question the philosophical, psychological, and moral implications regarding human-animal interactions along with racialization and genderization of animals.

By Galaxy

Sep 28, 2020

I don't think that peer-review assignments ought to weigh on our grades, as I have encountered peers not testing my reference links or actually reading submissions which ended up resulting in a non-passing score.

By Jessica L

Nov 22, 2020

By Wendy J P

Feb 14, 2021

By Maria C

Dec 17, 2020

It's a very nice, full of information course. I think everyone should lay an eye on this course and learn critical information about animals.

By Rijita M

Nov 19, 2020

very informative and highly reccomended for anyone in the field of human and animals dyad.

By Brenda L

Sep 29, 2020

Excellent course. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of very good information!!

By Melike N D

Dec 29, 2020

It was a very productive course

Congratulations !!!

By W O

Jan 17, 2021

The course was great and challenging

By Jen A G