Back to Anti-Racism I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Anti-Racism I by University of Colorado Boulder

Anti-Racism I is an introduction to the topic of race and racism in the United States. The primary audience for this course is anyone who is interested in learning about race/racism in the US who has never taken a course in critical race or ethnic studies or affiliated fields (indeed, who may not know what the fields of critical race studies or ethnic studies are), who has never read a book about race/racism, or attended any race equity or diversity trainings on the topic of race/racism. In this course you will learn how to: - Use and comprehend contemporary intersectional terminology through a provided glossary - Critically discuss “whiteness” - Recognize the concept of White privilege that all White people have whether they want that privilege or not and to differentiate between White supremacy as a systemic concept vs. White supremacists (who are professional racists like the KKK). - Distinguish between being not racist and being anti-racist - Define systemic and institutional racism - Accept the unequal history of race and racism in the United States that has created racial hierarchies that has disenfranchised Black Americans - Share with others the true foundations of United States’s histories beginning with the acknowledgement of settler colonialism and the rewards that White people have received due to White supremacy and Black oppression. - Talk about race and racism - Explain why phrases like “All Lives Matter” and “Blue Lives Matter” are racist - Recognize that anyone can be anti-racist--it only takes the dedication and decision to be anti-racist, to educate yourself about the history of racism in the US and then to talk in an anti-racist way and to act as an anti-racist Course logo image credit: Liam Edwards, 06/04/2021. Available on Unsplash at https://unsplash.com/photos/x15GAQNepcQ...

TM
Jan 23, 2021

This course has been an excellent start to my education around what it means to be anti-racist. My education has just begun and I look forward to Anti-Racism II. Thank you for this opportunity!

TR
Mar 25, 2021

Shawn and Jennifer made this course easy and learn and understand social injustices past and present. I look forward to the idea of Anti-Racism II.

1 - 25 of 34 Reviews for Anti-Racism I

By catherine m

Sep 17, 2020

I have complete my course but till now I didn't get my certificate.

By Sue H

Apr 22, 2021

This course was a good introduction to some of the issues around race and some of the ways we can combat racism. I think this course is especially useful for white people (like me) who want to be better allies. That requires us to confront our own issues and dig deep. The first section of this course focuses on the issue of whiteness, white priviledge and white fragility. This may be difficult for some people, as it was for me, but I encourage you to stick with it and really process your thoughts and feelings. I am ongoingly and continually surprised at the way the conditioning I received all my life resurfaces. The course consists mostly of readings and videos, with two discussion prompts and no quizzes. There is a lot to think about and process in this short course though. The instructors are knowledgeable and approachable. I would be interested in taking additional courses in this series.

By Kathaleen B

Sep 24, 2020

I found this course to be an excellent starting point for discussion and understanding anti racism. Look forward to part 2.

By Luis C

Oct 8, 2020

Very interesting, great materials, videos, readings. I would totally recommend it

By Omid N

Apr 3, 2021

i completed the course several days ago but it still shows: 0 min remains and not being completed. but the contents of the course was good enough to encourage me to participate.

By Heather W

Jul 21, 2021

Anti-Racism I is such a great introduction to those beginning their journey of being an anti-racist. I had learned a lot regarding anti-racism from my parents but even then, there are layers upon layers of information and history that I wouldn't be able to know if it hadn't been for this course. The readings and videos provided in the modules are brilliant and are fit for anyone. Jennifer Ho and Shawn O'Neal have provided an open-minded environment to learn in; they really encourage us to sit with our discomfort which while it has not been easy, it has been extremely benefiting. Definitely looking forward to Anti-Racism II. This course has allowed me to delve into a lot of self-reflection and it really helped me open my eyes to the non-overt racism that is all around me that I would never have noticed if I didn't take this course. Highly recommend this course!!

By Semone I

Jun 9, 2021

T​he Anti-Racism course was very enlightening and helped me to very much develop a better dialogue with friends and family. The insights, such as the various podcasts, different presenters and even various scholars such as Mr.Kendi in the course material. I am certainly interested in how Anti-Racism II will build on what I've learned

By Kim C

Mar 15, 2021

Excellent course. A well thought out and curated mix of discussion, podcasts, readings, videos.

The only way we can ever address and begin to right the wrongs of racial injustice is for white people - like me - to realize and acknowledge their white privilege. It's not going to be an easy road.

Hope there will be an Anti Racism II

By Susan W

Mar 15, 2021

This was a well-done course, excellent selection of readings and videos (lots of variety and I found all of them enlightening). Jennifer Ho and Shawn O'Neal provide a great combination of perspectives, experiences with race/racism and with teaching. So glad I took this course!

By Cynthia B

Jun 8, 2021

I thought the selections of both the readings and videos were very informative. I especially liked being able to listen , view or read lessons/articles fitting my mindset at the time. I think the course was well thought out and I am looking forward to taking Anti-Racism ll.

By Kim W

Feb 7, 2021

This was a great introduction to the idea of anti-racism. The readings were varied and the town hall was especially interesting. It has been helpful for me to learn a bit more about myself and has helped me learn a few different points about having conversations about race

By Jessica S

Jan 8, 2021

This is such a comprehensive course and I truly learned a great deal of information. I feel lucky to have taken this course and prepared to go out and practice anti-racism each day with intention. Great information and content and I look forward to Anti-Racism II

By Douglas M

Apr 14, 2021

I really enjoyed taking this course. I am not very good at learning with distance learning, but this course I learned perfectly. All these things that have been happening in the world, in some way gave me an incentive to learn more about racial causes.

By Sonali D

Jan 15, 2021

Wonderful course to begin one's journey into Anti-racism. Very much appreciated the genuine and committed teaching by both instructors. Certainly gained valuable knowledge and references that I will continue to learn from. Many thanks,

Sonali

By Tiffany M

Jan 24, 2021

By Tara R

Mar 26, 2021

By Stephanie R P

Dec 28, 2020

An informative beginning-level course that is thoughtfully designed and engaging. The conversation between the two facilitators was most valuable.

By Teresa L

Jan 26, 2021

I loved this course and would recommend it to anyone, to be honest. I would love to attend a sequel, will definitely stay tuned.

By Victoria T

Jul 26, 2021

What an eye-opener. Every human being should take a course like this. I wish I had been able to take this course 20 years ago.

By Bert H

Dec 10, 2020

Well-conceived & executed introductory course. Excellent choice of videos & articles. Teacher discussions are enlightening.

By Samuel C d O R

Apr 21, 2021

Great references. Way more visual than reading. Loved it.

By Sandra P

Dec 22, 2020

So many great resources within the course!

By Yansong C

May 7, 2021

A splendid course ! Thanks so much !

By Beau H

May 8, 2021

It's should be a required course.

By Tess

Oct 23, 2020

It is a great intro. Thank you!