Back to Applied Data Science Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Data Science Capstone by IBM

This capstone project course will give you a taste of what data scientists go through in real life when working with data. You will learn about location data and different location data providers, such as Foursquare. You will learn how to make RESTful API calls to the Foursquare API to retrieve data about venues in different neighborhoods around the world. You will also learn how to be creative in situations where data are not readily available by scraping web data and parsing HTML code. You will utilize Python and its pandas library to manipulate data, which will help you refine your skills for exploring and analyzing data. Finally, you will be required to use the Folium library to great maps of geospatial data and to communicate your results and findings. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you will also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

LD

Oct 24, 2019

Its was great experience in completing the project using all skills that we learned in the course, thanks to coursera and IBM for giving me an opportunity to update my selft and also to test my skills

SG

Mar 04, 2020

Very good capstone project. Learnt lot of insights on how to represent data through out this course.\n\nVery good starting point for ""Data Science" field. I would definitely recommend this course.

501 - 525 of 527 Reviews for Applied Data Science Capstone

By Oscar C C

There are some errors in the instructions labs, in forums is the way you can get help, but it it necessary to modify the code in the examples.

By Apurv G

Apr 05, 2020

Great capstone project. But forced to do the same project. It would be better to get more choices of projects.

By Piotr M

Jun 11, 2020

I didn't like that we had to use Foursquare — I could not come up with anything interesting.

By Siddhant S

Apr 02, 2020

The difficulty could be increased and the scope of topics covered could be wider.

By Mbongeni N M

Feb 13, 2019

The instructor of the capstone saved this specialization for me.

By Ozkan K

Sep 15, 2019

I did not find the project relevant to the rest of the course

By Alberto I A

Dec 23, 2019

Broken links in samples and csv data files.

By Charles J

May 03, 2020

some lab codes cannot run smoothly

By Abdul M A

Sep 25, 2019

very vague with the information

By Amey S P

Feb 12, 2020

It is good for beginners.

By Akshay V I

Jul 25, 2020

Hardness Level High

By 赵圆方

Mar 16, 2019

really difficult

By Sobhan A

May 06, 2020

I can say overall it's a good program. However by reviewing the first few courses, you will get a headache, but the rest courses are very useful. Some parts are really useless for a data scientist and are more useful for programmers, which I recommend you do not put a lot of time on them and skip them as much as you can.

Apart from the material, I think this certificate is really useful for you to get a job. But, if you just want to learn new concepts in data science and do not need a certificate, I recommend you to take other courses other than IBM. There are very good courses on @linkedin Learning.

In this program, IBM pushes you to work only on its platforms which is really annoying and I think this a considerable drawback of this program.

If you spend at least 4-5 hours a day, you'll be able to complete it in 2 months. The subscription is monthly and it's around $50 CAD and you can unsubscribe whenever you want.

By Elvijs M

Apr 18, 2020

On one hand there is some encouragement to experiment and come up with an interesting problem and I actually took some time to come up with something non-trivial before starting. But practically, there is no need to -- you can just take the example notebook from one of the prior weeks and change the city. The evaluation doesn't really reward you for doing something original or extra.

Sadly, the certificate of the specialization as a whole is worthless.

By Izabela K

Sep 24, 2019

I hoped this course would be more complex but it mostly consist of Foursquare API requests. I had to focus how to fit other datasets in addition to Foursquare data to find something interesting but instead of using fancy algorithms and testing them I had to focus on data and it was really time consuming, I spent 2x more time on each assignment. Whole IBM DS path was great but final course was a big disappointment.

By PD T

Jan 22, 2020

Issues with the lab sessions and untimely responses from the staff hindered my learning. Also, the students did not respond to my questions in the discussion forums, they seem to only be about themselves and having people grade their assignments.

By Pablo D B

Jul 30, 2019

It would have been better if the assignment were split on previous courses. IMHO, this course was way longer than the other courses of the specialization

By Diego A F P

Many errors in the lab and some code were not properly explained. The quality of this module was not as good as the others.

By Karol S

May 16, 2020

One of the worst mooc ever, content outdated, lessons not real life, and absolute lack of feedback on final assignment

By Mutlu O

Apr 07, 2020

LABs in this course had quite a lot of bugs which costed me a lot of time and nerves.

By David H

Apr 03, 2020

Massive issues with Labs not working; parts of segments too superficiel explained

By RITIK Y S

Mar 31, 2020

Need some more guidance on Capstone

By nikolas v

Jul 08, 2020

I get now (8th of July) a message that I can only begin in August on my assignment although I have finished week 4 succesfully!!!

I find it unacceptable that Coursera tries to let you renew your monthly subscription over and over again.

Could you unlock my assignment week 5 please?

Also Coursera let you use IBM lite subscription for free in the beginning but if you use it a lot, the lite version is not enough. You can upgrade, if you pay...

If you enroll for subcourses, you are charged each time you submit another small part.

the classes itself are good but Coursera is not clear on how much you need to pay in the end. The prices they let you believe seem reasonable but there are hidden extra costs.

By Varun C

Aug 06, 2020

One star for the fact that the Lab notebooks were flooded with errors, you would need more time fixing the errors rather than going through them,

Also, in peer graded assignments, some of the links submitted aren't processed as hyperlinks and cannot be copy pasted either, so there's no way to view them.

Very bad experience on this one.

By Kendall L

May 23, 2020

This was the most frustrating course I have taken on Coursera. The foursqure api is not up to date and I had to waste hours of my life fixing the bugs.