Back to Applied Data Science Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Data Science Capstone by IBM

This capstone project course will give you a taste of what data scientists go through in real life when working with data. You will learn about location data and different location data providers, such as Foursquare. You will learn how to make RESTful API calls to the Foursquare API to retrieve data about venues in different neighborhoods around the world. You will also learn how to be creative in situations where data are not readily available by scraping web data and parsing HTML code. You will utilize Python and its pandas library to manipulate data, which will help you refine your skills for exploring and analyzing data. Finally, you will be required to use the Folium library to great maps of geospatial data and to communicate your results and findings. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you will also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

LD
Oct 23, 2019

Its was great experience in completing the project using all skills that we learned in the course, thanks to coursera and IBM for giving me an opportunity to update my selft and also to test my skills

SG
Mar 3, 2020

Very good capstone project. Learnt lot of insights on how to represent data through out this course.\n\nVery good starting point for ""Data Science" field. I would definitely recommend this course.

501 - 525 of 656 Reviews for Applied Data Science Capstone

Sep 6, 2019

Great

By KASI V

Nov 6, 2020

good

By A W K V

Oct 2, 2020

Good

By Shalini S

Sep 13, 2020

Good

By VISHNU T B

Jun 28, 2020

Good

By SOUMYAJIT D

Jun 7, 2020

good

By A S R

good

By Naveen S P

BEST

By Arijit K

Apr 28, 2020

good

By Ashneel k

Mar 9, 2020

good

By iyyanar

Jan 3, 2020

Good

By Manea S I

Sep 25, 2019

nice

By Prabhu M

Sep 17, 2019

good

By Gurnam S

Mar 4, 2019

Good

By Josh H

Jan 12, 2020

AAA

By Muhammad T A

Sep 30, 2019

By 林昀

Apr 3, 2020

By Amy P

Jul 25, 2019

This is the final course in the IBM Data Science Certificate and it is primarily focused around a project of your choosing. First, you learn how to scrape data and use the Foursquare API, which is quite helpful as these skills are generally transferrable. Then you'll need to come up with an idea that is loosely related to location data in some way. You'll have several weeks to implement your idea and write a report and a blog post/presentation. The final project is a lot of work.

In my opinion, the grading system could be better. You rely on peer reviews to pass the course, but only one peer looks at your work. Multiple sets of eyes would be fairer and hopefully generate more feedback. The discussion forum aspect could also be improved to promote collaboration and not simply requests to "please review my submission".

All in all, a decent guided Capstone course. Be prepared to do a lot of work on your own as there is not a lot of structure or hand-holding. I am very proud to have completed a formal project/report that demonstrates how much I learned over the course of the IBM Data Science Certificate.

By surya m p

Apr 10, 2020

This course is excellent at teaching all the data science and machine learning skills from a practitioner's perspective. I would strongly recommend it to aspiring data science professionals. Other positives include free introduction to the IBM cloud platform.

Room for improvement include:

1. Improvement to reliability/availability of IBM Developer Skills Network (which was done towards the end of my course) or give it a miss (using IBM cloud platform instead) completely.

2. Assignments should be graded by instructors or through standardised testing. The current peer-graded system seems to be hit and miss. It is not ideal especially for such a long course.

By Dominic M L C L

There were quite a number of tools/apis in the course material that were no longer working, meaning they need to be updated and shows the course material has not been touched in quite some time. For absolute beginners this is problematic as they are not unsure where to search for solutions, and asking in the Discussion Forums does not always return an answer. Aside from that, I found the Capstone Project to indeed be challenging for the level of skills we have obtained from the course, but also figured it forces learners to really search and source for solutions similar to how the real world would force you to do so.

By Ruben G

Feb 28, 2021

This course has been a real challenge for me. I've spent many more hours than planned to complete assignments of week1 and 2. I don't know if that is because of the topic I chose or because of the problems I had with Watson.

In the middle of the course, Watson stopped working ("monthly capacity reached"?). After asking for help in the forum, I didn't get any until 10 days later (and, by the way, what I was expecting). I somehow managed to install Juyputerlab as an alternative solution, but to do it properly and being able to publish some data into Github added more complexity to the challenge.

By Barry P

Jan 5, 2021

I had higher hopes for this....The videos are excellent, the labs are pretty good. The problem with the labs is they will just dump the code in and expect you to know what it all means. I spent a lot of time googling what the code means for when I apply my own analysis. Begs the question of the value.

Lastly, the capstone was more of the same. A lot of digging on my part and not much help from the videos/labs. Also, many of the labs are outdated and you have to search the forums to find out something was deprecated and to use a new function. JUST UPDATE THE LAB!