Back to Ancient Philosophy: Aristotle and His Successors

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ancient Philosophy: Aristotle and His Successors by University of Pennsylvania

What is philosophy? How does it differ from science, religion, and other modes of human discourse? This course traces the origins of philosophy in the Western tradition in the thinkers of Ancient Greece. We begin with the Presocratic natural philosophers who were active in Ionia in the 6th century BCE and are also credited with being the first scientists. Thales, Anaximander, and Anaximines made bold proposals about the ultimate constituents of reality, while Heraclitus insisted that there is an underlying order to the changing world. Parmenides of Elea formulated a powerful objection to all these proposals, while later Greek theorists (such as Anaxagoras and the atomist Democritus) attempted to answer that objection. In fifth-century Athens, Socrates insisted on the importance of the fundamental ethical question—“How shall I live?”—and his pupil, Plato, and Plato’s pupil, Aristotle, developed elaborate philosophical systems to explain the nature of reality, knowledge, and human happiness. After the death of Aristotle, in the Hellenistic period, Epicureans and Stoics developed and transformed that earlier tradition. We will study the major doctrines of all these thinkers. Part I will cover Plato and his predecessors. Part II will cover Aristotle and his successors....

LG
Apr 25, 2019

Excellent course, Pr. Sauvé-Meyer keeps the material very engaging, and makes it very clear and easily accessible. Knowing how difficult the original texts are sometimes, this is very valuable.

JB
Feb 1, 2019

This is an excellent course! The professor is well-timed and the resource material well-selected. In-depth treatment of Aristotle, the Stoics, and the Epicureans. Highly recommended.

26 - 50 of 156 Reviews for Ancient Philosophy: Aristotle and His Successors

By J H B v d M

Sep 7, 2020

I learned a lot about ancient philosophy. Thanks for this opportunity. The teacher explained in a clear way the important aspects of the ancient philosophers. By doning it in her way, she invited me for deepening my interest for the stoics. I enjoyed this course very much.

By Renee K

Jul 24, 2020

Thank you, Professor Susan! I've enjoyed the second part of this course and the material and new informative skills I've learned in this course have helped me to grow my love for learning more on philosophy.

I highly recommend taking this course you'll not regret it!

By Nicolau N S

Again, like I have said in the end of Part I, this was a wonderful learning experience. I feel very grateful to Coursera, to the University of Pennsylvania and specially to Susan Meyer. This will certainly help me as a philosophy teacher in the future. Thanks!

By Emanuela Z

Aug 27, 2019

This course is well structured. Organized in a chronological sense, it allows us to compare the idea of philosophers considered with contemporaries and precedents.

The intermediate exercises and questions are effective for a better understanding.

By Sandra R E

Jul 25, 2020

Excellent course so loved learning more about ancient philosophers. Enjoyed the lectures very much. I took the first part of this course Presocratic philosophers & Plato first. I have enjoyed very much taking both of these courses.

By Lee

Dec 21, 2019

Enjoyed this survey of Aristotle, the Epicureans, and the Stoics! Good introduction to the ideas, with easy to understand examples that make it possible to understand the translated readings that precede them.

By Orville C

Dr. Susan Sauvé Meyer delivers the course material at a pace that makes the subject easy to understand while using check-in questions during her presentations that help the listener capture the key concepts.

By Paolo R

May 16, 2020

Un curso excelente! Susan Sauve Meyer la profesora es una persona excelente y con mucho conocimiento en la materia, y te explica paso a paso y perfectamente cada unidad y lectura del curso. Muchas gracias!

By Alejandro C D

Jul 2, 2020

It is a very complete course because the main approaches of Aristotle, Epicureans and Stoics are explored and allow us a clearly understanding his doctrines and apply them to our daily life.

By Bruna F P

Aug 11, 2020

Great and very interesting course, both parts! I'm gonna miss it, and actually I wish there was more! Also what an excellent instructor! Thank you to all involved in this beautiful project!

By Sylvia H K

Apr 3, 2016

An excellent start to get knowledge about the philosophy principle of the ancient thinkers. Their vision have influenced the way of thinking in European and Western culture.

By Noemi M

Aug 3, 2020

I found this course very interesting. Professor Meyer managed to make Philosophy lovely and easy to understand for students who, like me, have never studied this subject!

By Felipe Z G

Excelente como curso introductorio de la filosofía aristotélica, estoica y epicurea. Las lecturas sugeridas son muy apropiadas y las explicaciones en los videos también.

By David M L

May 20, 2018

me ha gustado mucho aunque esté practicamente en ingles, no importa, se aprenden muchisimas cosas tanto de términos como de explicaciones, espero uno de Ortega y Gasset.

By Nabil K

Jul 13, 2017

Absolutely amazing course. Very excellent teacher. She is eloquent, knowledgable and effective at teaching. The only sad part is that she only has 2 courses on Coursera.

By Laura M P

May 5, 2020

Excellent second part of an equally excellent first course. Complete and interesting. Both agreed courses are ideal for having a solid base on the ancient philosophers.

By Angelina W

Mar 10, 2016

Formatted like the the preceding course. This one goes in depth with the later philosophers. The lectures are very detailed and in-video quizzes are engaging.

By Raimundo P J d O

Mar 14, 2019

Excelente Curso! Conteúdo, metodologia, de uma forma dinâmica e interativa, conseguir aprender o material e atingir o objetivo. Vou indicar para meus amigos!

By Josef P

May 19, 2016

Introductory course, but nontheless it offers deep insights and explanations of some special problems in Aristotle, Epicureanism and Stoicism. Thank you!

By ivan l a

Jul 12, 2020

Excellent course, like that of Plato and Predecessors. I feel it intellectualy stimulates and challenges you. Very well the teachers clasees. I loved

By Inga B H

May 6, 2018

Loved every minute of it! A big thank you to professor Susan Sauve Meyer - it was beautiful experience, I wish the course would be intimately wider.

By Mandy S

Jun 19, 2016

This is a great course because the great instructor shares her knowledge about Aristotle and his successors in a comprehensible and exciting manner.

By Chris P

May 22, 2017

i learned from this lecture that aristotle is true genius and I sincerely give admiration to the lecturer thanks for the work you have done

By Matthew A

Nov 27, 2019

I honestly looked forward to this class at the end of each work day. Modest course work and excellent lectures and discussion exercises.