Back to Arts and Heritage Management

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Arts and Heritage Management by Università Bocconi

Today cultural institutions are facing important dilemmas in many aspects of their management. Over the past decades, a new figure has emerged that of the art manager. Imagine you went to work every day to connect artists with audiences, vision with reality, and money with a mission. That is what managers in the arts do, they play an essential role in transforming the minds, lives, and communities through creative expression. This course has been conceptualized to address the need of skills and techniques to help professionals and managers in running art and cultural institutions. Learning Objectives There are three objectives to this course. First, we will approach the biggest issue cultural institutions face, the coexistence of managers and curators and giving evidence as to when, how, and why they can get along. Second, we will focus on some contemporary facets on what is means to manage a cultural institution and what cultural managers should expect and be able to face. And lastly, we will provide models and tools to design and implement appropriate courses of action to satisfy customers (visitors and audiences) and build an advantage over the competition. Course Structure The course is divided into six sections. Five sections are dedicated to specific aspects and themes of managing cultural institutions, while the sixth section is dedicated to individual interviews of prominent cultural institution managers on specific topics. The involvement of professionals and managers gives an incredible value to the learning experience of this course. Each module is paired with a quiz and discussion forums to reflect on the variety of the heritage management, its complexity, and the power of the network that we will build together during the course. Successful completion of the quizzes is required for a course certificate as explained in the Grading Policy page. If you love art and want to make an impact in this unique and fantastic sector, this course will support you in understanding the peculiarities of this sector and how to leverage on its tools to make a bigger impact. Look forward to meeting you online! Acknowledgements: Vatican Museums: www.museivaticani.va Cenacolo Vinciano:  www.beniculturali.it/mibac/export/MiBAC/sito-MiBAC/Contenuti/MibacUnif/Eventi/visualizza_asset.html_1283837989.html (ITA) FAI (Fondo Ambiente Italiano): eng.fondoambiente.it MUVE (Fondazione Musei Civici Venezia): www.visitmuve.it The National Trust: www.nationaltrust.org.uk The Archeological Site of Paestum: www.museopaestum.beniculturali.it whc.unesco.org/en/list/842 Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (Florence): www.museumflorence.com Museo del Violino: www.museodelviolino.org _________________________________ Disclaimer - Since some of the videos are conducted with those whose native language is not English, we have decided to sometimes preserve their more emphatic speech to keep a tighter match between the audio and subtitles....

RN
Mar 30, 2018

I'm really into this amazing course. it provide me with a wide range of information. it helps me to understand the field of museums and heritage management . Thank you for this useful course.

HS
Sep 1, 2018

It was an incredibly interesting course that made me realize so many important facets of working in a cultural institution. The course content was very rich and the lecturer was brilliant.

26 - 50 of 197 Reviews for Arts and Heritage Management

By Ruby V

Aug 31, 2020

In order to pursue my interest in art history curating and art critism I felt the need to understand the management side of cultural heritage from a museums and art galleries point of view so as to enable a win win situation for all parties involved. The art of today will be our cultural heritage of tomorrow. The course certainly exceeded my expectations from the the very first lecture and I believe I have gained the appropriate skills I need. Thank you for the experience.

By Yukiko S

Jan 20, 2020

It was my pleasure to be able to participate in this course, what a luxury to get educated on the go! The world of arts and heritage management was so much to learn, and fun to get to know. I could understand the concept and strategy, as well as the business structure. I believe it would be more challenging to actually draw the best strategies for each institute and effectively manage it. It would be great to have the lifetime learning support groups or communities.

By Stefanie v d B

Oct 6, 2020

Thank you so much for this great course . Iam a teacher of art with special interest in Heritage and art managment all over the world . My partners family lives in in Italy , Mantua so its special as a Dutch art lover how musea are organized and have great intensions for visitors to make visiting looking with their hearts . Loved the 6th chapter to see the people behind the consept but even more the interesting video lectures with sympatico Andrea Rurale .

By Sukrishna S

Jun 30, 2020

I absolutely loved this course! It gave me such an amazing insight on how the management of a cultural institution works, a topic spoken very less about but should be tackled more often. The instructor Mr. Andrea Rurale explained the course in a very simple and lucid manner which made it very easy for me to understand. On days that I couldn't work on the course I used to actually miss it. 10/10 recommend it

By Paola F

Sep 15, 2020

I found the Arts and Heritage Management course really interesting and useful. Professor Rurale has been able to engage and positively affect the viewers. I feel like not even one among the different video-lessons was boring. Moreover, this course has given me great inspiration for my upcoming thesis and dissertation, which I think is going to be centered on some of the topics introduced in these lessons.

By Geraldine G

Jan 15, 2017

En términos del contenido mismo del curso soy un cliente satisfecho! Cumplió con mis expectativas, todos los contenidos fueron explicados de manera amigable, de manera estructurada, con gráficos y notas que ayudaban a visualizar los conceptos. El profesor supo llevar el ritmo de las lecciones y transmitía el contenido de manera interesante sin aburrir. La parte de las entrevistas fue muy enriquecedora.

By Paula G P

Feb 24, 2020

I am very happy with this course. It has made me consider that maybe doing my Masters in Arts Management could be in the Bocconi University .

The topics we have seen throughout the course are very relevant and are what I was looking for: a course that unites business and international relations with the art world.

I'm looking forward for more courses by Bocconi University on this topic!

By Annie K

Jun 13, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. It was a good review of previous management courses I have taken with application to arts and heritage sites and museums. I feel it will benefit me as an employee of within the Museum field. The only struggle I had was occasionally being confused by some wording, as the instructor's first language is not English (although the course is in English.)

By Pawan C

Sep 22, 2020

This is course by Bocconi University is the best out there on coursera for those inclined towards Arts and Heritage management . Detailed theories with practicality , simple language, insights and personal interviews. The course presenter Andrea Rurale never makes you feel to be bored ! As an Architect and Management student I was able to connect all the dots .

By TONG W S

Sep 21, 2020

Amazing course, each week is consisted of well-planned bits that are easy to understand. Efforts were also put into the filming process, really appreciate filming the lessons in heritage sites and museums in Italy, makes it enjoyable to watch the videos. Definitely increased my interest in visiting/studying in Bocconi for further studies in the future.

By Vladislav K

Aug 18, 2017

Thank you very much! Excellent course! I have enlarged my knowledge a lot. You have explained the theory in a very clear and accessible manner and gave a perfect practical advices and examples. I am certain that I will use everything that you taught me here in everyday work in the museum. Best wishes and a cordiall thanks for all who made this course!

By Hansmukh S

Jan 25, 2017

its an amazing course work. All study material (videos and readings) is entirely connected with course and requirements of students and very easy to understand. Anyone, who want to learn their subject i easy way, try to do this courses and even the facilitators and specialists also should see this atleast once. a big thanks to entire COURSERA team.

By Eirini G

Jul 14, 2020

This is my first Coursera Course. I am favorably impressed by the quality of video shooting and the diversity of issues presented on the context of Arts Management. Particularly appreciated the knowledgeable yet friendly way of Andrea Rurale in presenting. I also have to give a positive feedback on the quickness of mentors to answer any questions

By Fiammetta G

Nov 29, 2020

Attending this course has been a really appreciated chance to have an overview onto this world.

Since I have a strong background both in humanities and in STEM, I find this field extremely interesting and challenging, and seeing how dynamic and vital this world is through this online-learning platform was for me a unique opportunity.

By Ainara G F

Dec 29, 2018

It is incredible the quality of the information. It summarises everything with beautiful images and, on top of that, it also brings us to most of the best places in Italy when it comes to Heritage. I learnt a lot and I am very happy to have taken this course. Thank you to all the team and the people that created it.

By Juan E S R

This course was very interesting. It help me to understand where management meets arts and culture. After the course I was able to think strategically about the role of museums, galleries, theaters and other cultural spaces to promote a city, increase social capital and have a more interesting cultural life.

By Ruth B

Nov 9, 2020

I did this course in order to add it to my portfolio of knowledge. This is an excellent course, very thorough and very high standards. It was also nice to meet some friendly new people in the peer review and discussion sections. Thank you. I would like to see this course developed to an accredited capacity.

By Shanese N

This was a course; Both engaging and interesting. Teachings at various locations permitted me to feel as if I were there. This allowed me to feel apart of the collective driving the arts towards the future. The course was not too difficult to understand. While also being clear about the subject matter.

By Leonid I

Jan 24, 2018

Great course! Unique and fascinating content. Fun and effective way to get in touch with plenty of arts management aspects. Active discussions and comprehensive feedbacks from moderators. Special thanks for the content of the 6th week, namely video interviews with the heads of cultural institutions!!!

By Tetiana T

Mar 17, 2018

It was a great overview of how the museums and historical sites are managed. The content is well prepared, lectures aren't overloading you with information, yet giving you a pretty clear view of the topic. Would be nice to hear more about the CRM implementation and measurement of customer engagement.

By Montserrat H S

Apr 14, 2019

Un curso clave para comprender mejor el sector cultural desde el área de gestión de las artes y el patrimonio. Muchas gracias a todos los profesores y alumnos que con sus contribuciones y opiniones y clases me hicieron crecer y también muchas gracias a Coursera por hacer posible este curso.

By Artemis K

Oct 29, 2017

I would like to thank Mr.Rurale and the Universita Bocconi for this great course, which is very interesting and useful. I was also amazed by the museums and the archaeological sites, where some of the lectures and the interviews with the managers were filmed. Best regards, Artemis Kinia

By Gunes U

Aug 4, 2017

I really enjoyed this course - it provided different perspectives on several fields, fundamentals of the art industry, and also the video shootings were very interesting, giving insights from the actual heritage sites, and the quizes and discussions encouraged a true thinkinh process.

By Ines Ž

Jul 4, 2020

I really like the structure. Everything is easily explained, yet the course is giving us glimpses of Italian art institutions and cultural sites which are creating aspirations to visit. ;) So well done. The lecturer is really really good. Would want to take a MA at the Bocconni!:)

By Omar M

Mar 21, 2019

This is my second course by Bocconi University. Great instructor and rich content which help me learning about a new field. Coursera made this learning experience incredibly amazing and interesting. I strongly recommend Bocconi courses and of course Coursera learning platform.