Back to Confronting The Big Questions: Highlights of Modern Astronomy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Confronting The Big Questions: Highlights of Modern Astronomy by University of Rochester

An introduction to modern astronomy's most important questions. The four sections of the course are Planets and Life in The Universe; The Life of Stars; Galaxies and Their Environments; The History of The Universe....

GB

Aug 01, 2017

Excellent course. Very clear lectures that cover a lot of ground in not a lot of time. Fantastic overview of most of what we know about astronomy and how we know it. Best class I've taken on Coursera.

AM

Apr 12, 2018

The is the first time I have rated a course with 5 stars, but this one is worth it. I audited and did not take the exams, but I thoroughly enjoyed the lectures and I learned a lot.

76 - 98 of 98 Reviews for Confronting The Big Questions: Highlights of Modern Astronomy

By Andrea F

Sep 24, 2019

Amazing!!!

By Reg T

Feb 02, 2016

As a quick overview to modern astronomy and cosmology this is a very worthwhile course. Highly informative and well presented. Material is detailed enough to provide an understanding of the topics covered and hints at more complexity to encourage further exploration.

Marked down to four stars solely on the basis of the review questions. Some of these are ambiguous or have a lack of clarity. Otherwise this course, given the level and time allocation, would rate 5 stars.

By Charles H

Feb 02, 2016

This course provided a great overview of Astronomy. I thought the difficulty was about right for a survey course and recommend it to anyone who wants a better understanding of how we think the universe came to be and what we think will happen to it.

By Frederick G

Jan 26, 2016

Good overview of the topic. Inspiring lecturer. No need for any complicated math. Having a background in physics on advanced high school level should probably be enoughto pass this course.

By Jonathan D

Jan 21, 2016

Professor explains concepts well.

By Francisco M D D F

Aug 14, 2017

Excellent quality of presentation of the content; however, some of the questions at the end of each week required knowledge acquired outside of this course, e.g. the question about red, green and blue quark configurations. Also, there were a few typos in some questions. Most of the questions were fine though. I especially liked learning how to use some of the online simulators for weeks 1 and 2. Overall this was a good course which I would recommend to my peers.

By John P

Feb 25, 2018

Enjoyable and mind expanding course, great!

By Roshni R

Oct 12, 2016

Great professor. Simple to understand and made me love astrology... Quizzes are a bit challenging though...

By Jon S

Jan 07, 2017

Enjoyed it very much

By Witold R

Oct 26, 2016

Very good overview of modern astronomy. Easy to understand by non native English speaker.

By Bill T

Mar 31, 2019

Very good overview. I thought that some of the questions given were not covered in the lectures, e.g., that all valid combinations of color charge have to be colorless.

By Martin N S

Mar 28, 2019

A short but very illustrative course.

By Laurent G

Jul 29, 2019

A sympatic and exhaustive presentation of the questions that are brought to our conscience

By Javier R F

Sep 17, 2019

The course is amazing, but the quizs are very difficult.

By Naman J

Oct 09, 2019

This course was very theoretical, I was expecting a bit more data and a bit more details of the processes by which we take various measurements.

By Jonathan G

Mar 26, 2018

I learned a lot about rudimentary physics.

By Jose A V B

Jan 09, 2016

Good but not deep enough. It could be longer to cover more aspects or more profound.

By Ethan Y

Apr 18, 2016

This is a very good and informational course : however, the person who is speaking tends to have a lot of mums and stammers a lot. Overall, pretty decent course.

By Thomas S

Sep 18, 2016

Not for beginners in the slightest. Enjoyed the videos. But the quiz just made me feel stupid as I didn't have a clue on any of the equations and simulators I was supposed to use. It got me thinking of how ignorant clever people continue to be! Every time a smart person comes up with a new theory it's taken as fact. Give it a couple of decades and someone will prove it wrong. The sun orbiting us proving wrong, easth is flat, gas giants only orbit outside the habitable zone etc etc etc. So when will we learn that just because something happens on this planet doesn't mean it will, has happened elsewhere. The deepest depths of the ocean have life forms, yet we'd perish. So who's to say life forms can't exact on a planet, moon that is nothing like the earth! The world is still at the centre of the universe to these academics!

By jeffrey m

Jun 03, 2017

too rudimentary discussion/presentation and frequent mention of undefined terms. More explanation would help with natural history of stars before and after main sequence, more detailed discussion of AGN, more discussion of particle interaction

By Tony D

Mar 04, 2018

The course material is very interesting, the lecturer is dynamic and communicates the information well. But I was unable to get any of the simulators to work on a standard browser, so could not possibly pass the quizzes, since the simulators are required to calculate many of the answers. Regrettably, had to drop course.

By LaVonia A S

Jan 10, 2016

Too much time required. The first Quiz had almost nothing covered in the video lectures. I saved all transcripts and was unable to answer the questions. The Sim's... I have never seen anything like that and again - it most certainly wasn't covered in the lectures. Disappointed in this course. It took 3 hours for each segment of the first week... not 3 to 4 as was stated. Leaving this course.

By E. R L

Jun 24, 2018

Can't complete the first quiz because I can't download the simulators. - hence can't complete the course.