Back to Beyond the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Addressing Sustainability and Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Beyond the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Addressing Sustainability and Development by University of Michigan

We’re excited you’re here! This course, “Beyond the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Addressing Sustainability and Development,” is the first course in the upcoming Sustainability and Development MasterTrack Certificate program (Fall 2020), but you can also take this course as a stand-alone learning opportunity. Sustainability and development pose unprecedented challenges as human societies grow and seek to ensure future wellbeing and prosperity. In this course, we’ll focus on addressing the twin challenges of sustainability and development with actionable knowledge for innovating solutions to the world’s most pressing problems like climate change, poverty and inequality, and biodiversity loss and ecosystem degradation. Rather than sustainability being a qualifier for development (e.g. sustainable development), we conceptualize Sustainability and Development as co-equal fields of inquiry and action that seek to build bridges between the natural, social and applied sciences and the humanities. When sustainability and development are placed on an equal footing, it requires us to think more explicitly about the trade-offs, co-benefits and synergies between them, which we will be exploring in depth in each week. Throughout the course, you will be introduced to the theoretical currents in Sustainability and Development, and will garner an in-depth understanding of the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). We will also consider the methods and skills necessary for designing innovative solutions to sustainability and development problems through the emerging field of Sustainability Science. In this course, we will explore three of the most pressing challenges undergirding the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including climate change, poverty and inequality, and ecosystem degradation and biodiversity loss, with case studies to guide and challenge our thinking. In the final week of the course, we will discuss the trade-offs, co-benefits and synergies between these challenges, especially as they relate to designing innovative solutions for achieving our sustainability and development goals. By the end of this course, you will be able to: 1. Understand and explain the world’s most pressing problems with a specific focus on poverty & inequality, ecosystem degradation and biodiversity loss, and climate change. 2. Critically analyze the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and their relationship to the world’s most pressing problems. 3. Use frameworks and evidence necessary to develop solutions. 4. Assess relevant solutions that would help realize the SDGs and at the same time solve the pressing problems. 5. Apply skills learned to implement solutions....

LJ

This course is insightful and eye-opening. I certainly found it useful and would not hesitate to recommend anyone with interest in sustainability or development to attend.

RH

Jul 16, 2020

Excellent course for everybody!! You can gain great knowledge about SDGs and modern day world's real problems and how to face them globally. Cheers!!!!

1 - 25 of 46 Reviews for Beyond the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Addressing Sustainability and Development

By Prottoy R

Apr 29, 2020

Content is fantastic. But I am not fully satisfied with all of the instructors. The basic problem that I have felt that while delivering theoretical lectures, the session should be more interactive, there should be clear real life examples and more lively environment so that a learner never feels bored for even a moment. It was a bit horrible experience about the performance of the University of Michigan, sorry to say.

By Mohammad K F

Apr 24, 2020

Poor voice quality, noise, poor delivery!

By Wouter V

Jun 07, 2020

There were quite some technical issues with sound but equally slides that were very difficult to read. Though the information was clearly presented, the level of depth was a bit disappointing. The use of more live cases could have brought more dynamic to the course. As this is an area in which I work, I think that I did not benefit as much as I would have expected. As a European citizen, I was wondering if a US institution could really provide sufficient background given its administration's stance and skepticism on environmental and social issues. Of course, this institution cannot be held accountable for that.

By Johannes V

Jul 27, 2020

This course is extremely insightful, although my career has primarily focused on wellbeing for the past 5 years, I now more than ever see the importance of knowledge pertaining to sustainability and to Development. If you want to get some vital information on the systems and operations of creating successful sustainability initiatives and the planning of development programs this course will steer you in the right direction. It is relevant and up to date.

By Naela C P

Jul 08, 2020

I loved the cases and examples they give through each module. They really give consice and non-bias information which is really useful for both beginners and intermediates in the area. The teachers explain in detail and outlighting the importance of doing something as well as redefining the sustainable development concept, in order to encourage a more complete view.

By Priyanka C

Jun 28, 2020

This is a very relevant & informative course which helps us to understand sustainability and development beyond the SDGs as suggested by the name itself. I would highly recommend this course for all the sustainability enthusiasts. The teaching is very versatile and highly updated which gives a very clear picture of the current situation of our planet.

By Yalda S

Jun 10, 2020

This course was incredibly helpful for understanding sustainability. The lectures was extraordinary good and useful, on a very well described pattern. I learned a lot and suggest it to anyone interested or works in the field of sustainability. I appreciate the contribution of the professors at University of Michigan.

By Oluwadare J S

Jul 07, 2020

A brilliant expose (should I say) on the subject of sustainability and development. Learned a lot. I appreciate most of all the efforts of the Professors, Associate Professors, and other academic staff for pulling this together. Now I have an advantage because of you all. Cheers

By Trish P

Jun 07, 2020

A highly informative course. Truly enjoyed taking it and learned an enormous amount. I look forward to taking more courses on the subject. Highly recommend the course for anyone who is interested in sustainability and development.

By LEE C G J

By R. M S H

Jul 16, 2020

By Sachin S

Jun 24, 2020

A well designed course on sustainable, environment and the future. Highly recommended and thank you the Michigan University and the Team.

By Ramesh S

Jun 26, 2020

Excellent Course, This course help to successful implementation of SDG. Addressing Sustainability and Development for livelihood.

By Avishek G

May 15, 2020

Excellent. Got a broad view on implementation part. if possible start a course on Methodology to assess SDG indicators.

By Moshoeshoe M

Jul 28, 2020

This is one of the most important courses that help improve and nourish individuals......I have learned a lot from it.

By Judith F

Jun 08, 2020

I Loved this course, it was exactly what I was looking for in terms of content and the work load was perfect for me!

By Abhisek G

Jun 08, 2020

It is an excellent course and highly informative and effective for the sustainability studies

By Simona M T

Jul 08, 2020

It is a very useful course for those interested in understanding what Sustainability means.

By So C K

Jul 19, 2020

The course is very useful to me, I learn concepts of SDGs ,esp Goal 1,5,10,14,15

By Md. R R

Jul 24, 2020

That course was really effective for me as a student of Development Studies

By SAIRA I

May 05, 2020

A valuable coarse content regarding the sustainable development goals.

By GABRIEL K A

Jun 29, 2020

Very informative and flexible to accommodate my schedule.

By Rodrigo E P M

Aug 02, 2020

A perfect course to start in this world of knowledge.

By Md. M I

Jul 05, 2020

That's an amazing course I have done

By CHATURYA B

Jul 24, 2020

Very informative , Thank you.