Back to Astro 101: Black Holes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astro 101: Black Holes by University of Alberta

What is a black hole? Do they really exist? How do they form? How are they related to stars? What would happen if you fell into one? How do you see a black hole if they emit no light? What’s the difference between a black hole and a really dark star? Could a particle accelerator create a black hole? Can a black hole also be a worm hole or a time machine? In Astro 101: Black Holes, you will explore the concepts behind black holes. Using the theme of black holes, you will learn the basic ideas of astronomy, relativity, and quantum physics. After completing this course, you will be able to: • Describe the essential properties of black holes. • Explain recent black hole research using plain language and appropriate analogies. • Compare black holes in popular culture to modern physics to distinguish science fact from science fiction. • Describe the application of fundamental physical concepts including gravity, special and general relativity, and quantum mechanics to reported scientific observations. • Recognize different types of stars and distinguish which stars can potentially become black holes. • Differentiate types of black holes and classify each type as observed or theoretical. • Characterize formation theories associated with each type of black hole. • Identify different ways of detecting black holes, and appropriate technologies associated with each detection method. • Summarize the puzzles facing black hole researchers in modern science....

SK

Jul 31, 2020

i love this course, everything from knowledge to the visual and scientific data, this course amazed me.\n\ni thanking to all the person in this course to sharing this knowledge in such an amazing way

DB

Jul 27, 2020

It is an Excellent course , with no math assignments, if you want to learn Black holes Definitely, this is the course for you , i am looking for another course from same team. Excellent Team Effort.

51 - 75 of 154 Reviews for Astro 101: Black Holes

By Anayeli C L

Jun 11, 2020

Lots of new information in my head. Ross, Sharon, Janette and Curtis, they are excellent teachers, I am very grateful to them. For the first time I understand Einstein's relativity.

By Manuel A A G

Nov 22, 2019

I loved this course, because currently it is well for learn. Information about space time is the new Millennial tendency for learn. Thank's for all, and for make me better student.

By chandrasekkar s

Dec 16, 2019

It was a really good course.I learnt a lot about black holes and neutron stars.I thoroughly enjoyed this course and learnt a lot.Thanks a lot ,the faculty at University of Alberta

By Neil R S

Jun 17, 2020

This is an excellent course taught by good teachers who relate complex phenomena in simple ways. Highly recommended to anyone interested in Black Holes and Astrophysics.

By Meet P J

Jul 02, 2020

Most thrilling and exciting course! thank you UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA for giving me the chance to explore the most difficult yet beautiful journey through black holes 🙂

By Luis A M

Apr 10, 2020

Really enjoyed and learned a lot. Congratulations to the Astro 101 Black Holes and I am looking forward for other courses like this from the U of Alberta. Thank you.

By Riley A

May 06, 2020

Great course, some information should be revised/added especially with the new discoveries such as the image of the M87 black hole taken after this course was made.

By gaurang m

Jul 13, 2020

i enjoyed learning everything about black holes in the course and the teachers that taught us did an excellent job to help us understand all this stuff easily

By Jack S

Jun 25, 2019

Definitely good introductory course for someone interested in black holes! The instructors are funny and really taught me things with certain detail. Like it!

By BASIREDDY

Jul 23, 2020

THIS COURSE HAVE A VERY VAST INFORMATION ABOUT BLACK HOLES.THANKS FOR PRODUCING SUCH A GREAT INFORMATIVE COURSES FOR ALL .THANKS FOR ALL INFORMATION .....

By Aakash L S

Jul 27, 2020

its quite a good course

im glad that i did this. now i feel a bit more connected to the universe.

im sure taking this course will help me in my career.

By Stephen T

Mar 28, 2019

Super fun and interesting! This course made me a lot more interested in the universe outside our own atmosphere, and now I want to buy a telescope...

By Bella G

Jun 29, 2020

Very good course as an introduction to this topic. I was able to follow along well and I feel good about the knowledge I know have on this subject!

By Evisa T

May 09, 2019

I really liked this course, it was extremely interesting and very well done! I liked the interactivity as well! Thank you for the very good work!

By Jorfel A O M

Sep 24, 2019

Bastante completo en todos los sentidos y los docentes son profundamente pedagogicos, lo que necesito para poder seguir triunfando en mi àrea.

By SOUTRIK G

Sep 14, 2019

Excellent course. Each and every section is well designed and having enormous insight. Awesome knowledge contents and experience. THANK YOU!

By JoAnne E R

Mar 02, 2020

On several of the quizes I took I made 100, answering all question correctly. Why did I only score a 90% when I should have scored a 100%?

By Oleksandr R

Jan 07, 2020

Great Course! Excellent explanation and very informative. Beautiful presentation and interactive materials. Thanks for this perfect Course!

By Hermann S

Jan 27, 2019

Thank you for this course. Had a great time and learned lots of new and interesting stuff. cheers ^_^ (too much food references, though :D)

By Mohamed A

Aug 07, 2020

I learned many new things in this course and it actually helped me to wide my view about black holes and it helped me in many ways.

By Syed M A R

Mar 15, 2019

I gained a lot of insights about the behavior of the black-holes in a very organized manner. I am thankful to all the instructors.

By chanakya r P V

i have enjoyed studying about blackholes, stars and other concepts. this was really helpful to my knowledge and was fun to learn.

By Siddhant J

Jun 29, 2020

I want way more courses like this from the same lecturers and want even more in depth knowledge. Loved the whole course overall.

By Krishna

Mar 20, 2019

I never felt bored while studying this course. 4 Professors are teaching in their amazing styles. Great course for beginners.

By Saurav A

Jul 09, 2020

One of the best course I’ve found across everywhere for Astrophysics. Go for it. No second thoughts. Thank you Coursera team.