Back to Astro 101: Black Holes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astro 101: Black Holes by University of Alberta

What is a black hole? Do they really exist? How do they form? How are they related to stars? What would happen if you fell into one? How do you see a black hole if they emit no light? What’s the difference between a black hole and a really dark star? Could a particle accelerator create a black hole? Can a black hole also be a worm hole or a time machine? In Astro 101: Black Holes, you will explore the concepts behind black holes. Using the theme of black holes, you will learn the basic ideas of astronomy, relativity, and quantum physics. After completing this course, you will be able to: • Describe the essential properties of black holes. • Explain recent black hole research using plain language and appropriate analogies. • Compare black holes in popular culture to modern physics to distinguish science fact from science fiction. • Describe the application of fundamental physical concepts including gravity, special and general relativity, and quantum mechanics to reported scientific observations. • Recognize different types of stars and distinguish which stars can potentially become black holes. • Differentiate types of black holes and classify each type as observed or theoretical. • Characterize formation theories associated with each type of black hole. • Identify different ways of detecting black holes, and appropriate technologies associated with each detection method. • Summarize the puzzles facing black hole researchers in modern science....

FC

Jun 01, 2020

Amazing course for astronomy enthusiasts! Lectures are well-presented with visual effects and demonstrations. After completing this course I became so much more interested in physics and astronomy.

MD

Jul 07, 2020

Takes time to finish, yet totally interesting, and surely worth it. If you're a space enthusiast, this will surely leave you craving for more knowledge. Not boring at all. Kudos to the instructors.

51 - 75 of 136 Reviews for Astro 101: Black Holes

By Luis A M

Apr 10, 2020

Really enjoyed and learned a lot. Congratulations to the Astro 101 Black Holes and I am looking forward for other courses like this from the U of Alberta. Thank you.

By Riley A

May 06, 2020

Great course, some information should be revised/added especially with the new discoveries such as the image of the M87 black hole taken after this course was made.

By Jack S

Jun 25, 2019

Definitely good introductory course for someone interested in black holes! The instructors are funny and really taught me things with certain detail. Like it!

By Stephen T

Mar 28, 2019

Super fun and interesting! This course made me a lot more interested in the universe outside our own atmosphere, and now I want to buy a telescope...

By Bella G

Jun 29, 2020

Very good course as an introduction to this topic. I was able to follow along well and I feel good about the knowledge I know have on this subject!

By Evisa T

May 09, 2019

I really liked this course, it was extremely interesting and very well done! I liked the interactivity as well! Thank you for the very good work!

By Jorfel A O M

Sep 24, 2019

Bastante completo en todos los sentidos y los docentes son profundamente pedagogicos, lo que necesito para poder seguir triunfando en mi àrea.

By SOUTRIK G

Sep 14, 2019

Excellent course. Each and every section is well designed and having enormous insight. Awesome knowledge contents and experience. THANK YOU!

By JoAnne E R

Mar 02, 2020

On several of the quizes I took I made 100, answering all question correctly. Why did I only score a 90% when I should have scored a 100%?

By Oleksandr R

Jan 07, 2020

Great Course! Excellent explanation and very informative. Beautiful presentation and interactive materials. Thanks for this perfect Course!

By Hermann S

Jan 27, 2019

Thank you for this course. Had a great time and learned lots of new and interesting stuff. cheers ^_^ (too much food references, though :D)

By Syed M A R

Mar 15, 2019

I gained a lot of insights about the behavior of the black-holes in a very organized manner. I am thankful to all the instructors.

By chanakya r P V

i have enjoyed studying about blackholes, stars and other concepts. this was really helpful to my knowledge and was fun to learn.

By Siddhant J

Jun 29, 2020

I want way more courses like this from the same lecturers and want even more in depth knowledge. Loved the whole course overall.

By Krishna

Mar 20, 2019

I never felt bored while studying this course. 4 Professors are teaching in their amazing styles. Great course for beginners.

By Sai G P

Jun 27, 2020

was very informative and fun,

especially watching Ross and Curtis having fun in the background while teaching . loved it alot.

By Aavani A

Jan 12, 2020

The classes are too good and explained well. Illustrations are simple and understanding. Informative in less amount of time.

By Pavan C P

Really fascinating, helped me to gain lots of Insight on BH's, hawking radiation. Tremendous work on animations. Thank you!

By SHREYA G

I love this course.The course material is very engaging.The instructors are so good.The simulations are really cool

By Fernanda M a

Sep 08, 2019

The course was great, and teachers explained very clearly all concepts and processes involved. I 100% recommend it

By Sarvesh B

May 28, 2019

Excellent course, gives a lot of knowledge and understanding about space, could have included a little more math

By Joshua J

Amazing course! Teachers were great, videos were fun, and the content was amazing. Would definitely recommend.

By Aroosha W

Apr 11, 2019

I am so grateful to learn this course from the Alberta university.

and Thankyou professors. :) Keep it up

By ASIF N

Jun 05, 2020

It was great..really great

Most lectures are pretty clear.

Visual representation of the concepts was great.

By Mohammad A

Oct 23, 2019

If I have some money then I would have bought this certificate. It is so interesting subject, I liked it.