Back to Blockchain Basics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Blockchain Basics by University at Buffalo

This first course of the Blockchain specialization provides a broad overview of the essential concepts of blockchain technology – by initially exploring the Bitcoin protocol followed by the Ethereum protocol – to lay the foundation necessary for developing applications and programming. You will be equipped with the knowledge needed to create nodes on your personal Ethereum blockchain, create accounts, unlock accounts, mine, transact, transfer Ethers, and check balances. You will learn about the decentralized peer-to-peer network, an immutable distributed ledger and the trust model that defines a blockchain. This course enables you to explain basic components of a blockchain (transaction, block, block header, and the chain) its operations (verification, validation, and consensus model) underlying algorithms, and essentials of trust (hard fork and soft fork). Content includes the hashing and cryptography foundations indispensable to blockchain programming, which is the focus of two subsequent specialization courses, Smart Contracts and Decentralized Applications (Dapps). You will work on a virtual machine image, specifically created for this course, to build an Ethereum test chain and operate on the chain. This hands-on activity will help you understand the workings of a blockchain, its transactions, blocks and mining. Main concepts are delivered through videos, demos and hands-on exercises....

TT
Nov 18, 2018

This is an introductory course to Blockchain. The supplemented material (in other words self-study) is excellent and in my opinion is the only way to master the concepts and details of this discipline

LM
Jul 29, 2019

Comprehensive and clear course that summarize the basic concepts to understand the blockchain technology. Also the resources and contents included are very valuables. I totally recommend this course.

51 - 75 of 1,263 Reviews for Blockchain Basics

By Sergey G

Oct 11, 2018

I love this course on Blockchain Basics and highly suggest to take it! It is a very good starting point for any person, interested in blockchain technologies. Moreover, it has a continuation on Coursera within this same Blockchain specialization from University at Buffalo and State University of New York. Bina Ramamurthy is a great Teacher, she explains many complex Blockchain concepts in a very clear, concise and intuitively understood manner. I enjoy her lectures. Thanks a lot!

By Shankaranand L

Sep 15, 2020

A well thought and crafted introduction to Blockchain technology course. What I liked the most was the strong fundamentals that the course offers, which helps the learner to gain solid ground in understanding the technology.

I recommend everyone who is taking this course to mandatorily go through the optional reading after the video clip and before the quiz section in the course. This helps a lot in learning and having a strong understanding of the fundamental knowledge,

By Muhammad Z M

Jun 5, 2020

The content was very basic and demanding but i was disappointed by the last project. It was enhancing course concepts but even though I already had Ubuntu installed, still I had to install virtual box on a windows laptop, then download ethereum ubuntu ova which you provided and then install ubuntu (again) to get project instructions. I know those 2GB are not much, but I am from a small city and reliable internet is not so cheap here.

Thank you for the curse by the way :)

By Hannan S

Apr 12, 2020

Before starting this course , I knew some few things about Blockchain, but they were not arranged rather randomly perceived. Now I understand the basics. This course have helped me with short but effective videos, good web materials and an awesome tool. Although I am from CS background but I recommend it for everyone who are interested in Blockchain because the course is designed in such way so that everyone can take it.

By Alejandro A

Apr 7, 2021

Very good basic course to get to know the fundamentals of blockchain. The suggested readings are very informative, but some of the are not online anymore, I think someone should update those links. Only the last exercise requires a bit of computer knowledge, but I think is appropriate since it is a basic approach to the blockchain and I guess the next courses of the specialization could be more difficult in this regard.

By Muhammad U S

Sep 17, 2019

Comprehensive course with informative content and practice exercises that gets you acquainted with the blockchain technology. Just one suggestion, I would have preferred a basic programming assignment as well that might enable the learners to imitate a general blockchain. Apart from that, the approach adopted by this course, to use visualizing tools for better understanding of the concepts serves the desired purpose.

By Regina T

Aug 5, 2018

The instructor was extremely organized and well presented. Although completely new to this topic, I was able to follow, learn, and do well. I wish all courses were presented this clearly!

The voice-to-text translation of the script was not always accurate; listening to the instructor was better. The diagrams and slides were extremely useful in clarifying concepts. You also learn from tests and labs!

By Leung W T

Nov 2, 2019

Very good ! After having this course, you could have a basic understanding of how the bitcoins, how the blockchain works technically. You can try to make a transaction of ethreum in the model provided by the university. It was really interesting and practical as in real life, we gotta spend some money in order to have such an experience. But , in this course, you can have a try with the simulator.

By Deavyansh G

Apr 27, 2019

Here on Coursera, I would love to say that this has been the best ever knowledge gaining experience of mine. Whether it's the content or the quality or the representation, everything seemed just perfect. The instructor explained each and every concept in a very comfortable manner. You need not to think twice for any of the topics covered. Really honored to be a part of this platform.

By VEDANT A D

Nov 30, 2020

Basics are so clearly explained, all the process oriented examples and the mechanism behind the working blockchain of Bitcoin and Ethereum, explained so well.

All the optional resources helped to understand each topic in depth and gave an nice idea about all the basics. Plus Self check exercises time to time helped to revise the old topics.

Knowledgeable and amazing Course Instructor.

By Abhijeet P

Apr 22, 2020

I have learned about the basic of Blockchain ,how actually the accounts has been created and then check the peer details .After that account has been created and then check the Balalance and as soon as mining starts,the account balance (Ethers) has been changed,then transaction has to be done between the two account address .So i have learned many things about blockchain.

By abhishek k s

Apr 25, 2020

The content was good but I believe as it is a online platform there should be interacting video for the learning.Also, along with this there is one suggestion from my side to make a group who are currently enrolled in course.This will help students in making a healthy discussion as well as it will create a great network among them.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek Singh

By Efrain V C

Apr 20, 2020

El curso me pareció muy bueno, me aclaró mucho el concepto de la Blockchain, fué un comienzo muy interesante y el curso estuvo super bien estructurado, las lecturas adicionales son tambien muy interesantes, aunque algunas veces me desenfocaron del tema. Les agradezco mucho y espero poder hacer todos los otros que me faltan para poder conocer bien la Blockchain.

By Dipayan M

Nov 6, 2019

Completing this course, I am quite aware now of how the blockchain actually works, how it is created, how it is secured and how a trustless decentralized network is working and the assumptions and limitations of this structure. This course now allows me to explore areas of application of blockchain for real world applications beyond cryptocurrency.

By Tian L

Nov 11, 2018

a well balanced overview and introduction to such topic. I especially like the idea of having curated optional reading materials, which help beginners/novices in this topic get the gist of blockchain ,while in the meantime avoid being overwhelmed and inundated by sheer amount of blog posts, news, discussion on various Tech forums on such topic.

By Victor O

Jan 26, 2019

Nice overview of the technology. Resource links were quite helpful (although some of the readings tended to repeat each other). I did enjoy reading through the original Bitcoin and Ethereum whitepapers with the context provided by the course. The programming assignment was simple but neat. I look forward to future modules in this series.

By AL-FAHAMI T

Jan 10, 2021

Blockchain is one of the complex and tricky topic to grasp. Dr Bina Ramamurthy wa good at making it more concise and easier to learn. She seems to be a master of the subject and explain with a lot of ease. I learn a lot of notions and information during the course, will get back to it for sure for grasping more more. Thanks for all.

By Pankaj A

Dec 3, 2018

This course is really good for the beginners in Blockchain. It starts with explaining bitcoin then moves on ethereum for practical experience. The one thing that I like in this course is the instant self assessment that I am able to do and the Reading links provided along with the videos. Thank you for the course.

By Maryah A

Feb 23, 2021

Perfect to learn *thumps up*. But not recommended to subscribe for the certificate, because if it takes you 3-4 weeks to complete the course materials, it will take you another 4 weeks just to complete programming assignment (difficulties with setting up the environment ,not to with the task itself)

By Sivaraman R

Oct 20, 2018

It is a great course for beginners and first time learners on Blockchain. I would stongly recommend the course learners to do journal readings twice or thrice given at the end of each module to enhance the understanding on blockchain basics snd the module sujbect. Overall it is a very good course.

By Andrea R

Apr 12, 2020

Very well done, really appreciated the teacher , very nice synthesis on one side, and a lot of extra optional material available on the other. My feeling is that I have still a lot to learn, but now I have an idea of where to start from. Now moving to course nr. 2 of the specialization.

By Eduardo G Z

Apr 13, 2021

Great content, great way to explain the different concepts of blockchain and differents blockchain, the program to start the development on ethereum its quite easy and understandable in order to help you keep on this road, in overall im way to satisfied of the content of this course

By Nitin R 1

Jun 7, 2020

The instructor, as well as the presentations involved, were nice and easy to grasp. Though this course offers a high-level view to the idea of blockchain, it is largely from a cryptocurrency point of view but still covers about a semester worth of my university course on Blockchain.

By Asif I C

Jun 20, 2020

There were some links those weren't working. For example I would really want to know about the medium article where it said that how NSA tracked down Satoshi Nakamoto. Also there was another link that got a 404 to get a timestamp for a quiz. This course was really helpful for me.

By Aman U

Nov 16, 2018

It's a well organized course for beginners. I highly recommend beginners to take this course and go through every video and study the stuff. It's not boring like others and you really enjoy. BTW I really enjoyed in this first step and want to take all the courses. Thank you