Back to Blockchain Basics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Blockchain Basics by University at Buffalo

This first course of the Blockchain specialization provides a broad overview of the essential concepts of blockchain technology – by initially exploring the Bitcoin protocol followed by the Ethereum protocol – to lay the foundation necessary for developing applications and programming. You will be equipped with the knowledge needed to create nodes on your personal Ethereum blockchain, create accounts, unlock accounts, mine, transact, transfer Ethers, and check balances. You will learn about the decentralized peer-to-peer network, an immutable distributed ledger and the trust model that defines a blockchain. This course enables you to explain basic components of a blockchain (transaction, block, block header, and the chain) its operations (verification, validation, and consensus model) underlying algorithms, and essentials of trust (hard fork and soft fork). Content includes the hashing and cryptography foundations indispensable to blockchain programming, which is the focus of two subsequent specialization courses, Smart Contracts and Decentralized Applications (Dapps). You will work on a virtual machine image, specifically created for this course, to build an Ethereum test chain and operate on the chain. This hands-on activity will help you understand the workings of a blockchain, its transactions, blocks and mining. Main concepts are delivered through videos, demos and hands-on exercises....

TT
Nov 18, 2018

This is an introductory course to Blockchain. The supplemented material (in other words self-study) is excellent and in my opinion is the only way to master the concepts and details of this discipline

Jul 27, 2018

I find this course helpful to absolute beginner and for one who wants to grasp the basic concepts of Blockchain . The tutor tried to explain most part with simplicity and good and sufficient details.

876 - 900 of 1,181 Reviews for Blockchain Basics

By Eshani A

Sep 3, 2019

Its a great coure which really provided all the basic knowledge one needs to know about blockchains. After the course I can confidently say that I know how blockchain works. Looking forward to other courses in this specialization.

By Hwajun J

Oct 9, 2018

Great course with great compilations of good resources. Optional readings are a must if you want to deepen your understanding. I dropped one star because the transcripts of this course are horrific. Otherwise, it is a good course

By Sven A

Jul 23, 2018

The course filled its purpose: I learned the basics. But I won't give 5 stars because I wasn't able to comprehend what was the home assingment about and I do not still have general view how the blockchain works as a technology.

By AMAL A

May 1, 2020

I find this course very enriching , and interesting . I advise anyone wishing to discover a new trend technology to consult this course , thanks to the instructor , and thanks to coursera for giving us this opportunity !

By Sameh M

Sep 9, 2019

it was a good start in blockchain but the videos had very low ability in demonstrate the topics the optional resources were great but need to be more specific and less in count because a lot of them had same information

By Dimitri P

Feb 13, 2019

This is a good introductory course. The set of materials and especially additional reading resources is very good to get one started. The hands-on assignment instructions at the end of the course were quite confusing.

By Paarth S D

The course material which was presented throughout the course was exceptional and friendly to a basic beginner like me. The course was simple and direct, clearing much of the basics required to delve into blockchain.

By Jyotsna S

Feb 2, 2019

The course was informative and concise with good resources listed. However, the assignment in the end took too much time in the setup step itself. I will add to the discussion how my problems were fixed during setup.

By Rasmus L

Jan 14, 2021

It was a great course with a lot of great information. I knew a lot about blockchain networks before starting the course, but I still learned a lot.

There were several dead links throughout the course though.

By Elisabeth S

Dec 31, 2019

Out of date: the content is from 2017 I believe, and this is a field that is evolving so fast. It was hard to follow along on the programming exercises, but it was a good introduction to the concepts.

By Amir A

Sep 24, 2020

Some of the course links don't work. The instruction for installation of virtual machine needs updating. I'm hoping the other courses in the specialisation go into more depth, as this is very basic.

By Thomas N

Apr 7, 2020

Course content was good for introduction to Blockchain main concenpts. Video material with moving graphics in the background was not supporting my learning, please use fix backgrounds instead.

By Mahesh K

Mar 16, 2019

Very nicely arranged course and very informative. Learned a lot in no time. Only hurdle is The Ethereum Virtual machine takes hell lot of time in the Miner step. rest all fine. thanks a lot.

By kiruthigapandiyarajan

Oct 5, 2018

Information in the course was very good, but in the project part I have not felt like I am doing one POC kind of project, it is not at all interactive. It can be more practical if possible

By Arpan E

Jul 9, 2020

Enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm not a Computer Science student but found the videos and materials very easy to understand. Thank you, Coursera, for providing such a course with this simplicity.

By Lanwin C

Jul 7, 2020

It is really good course and the explanations are good, but a little more explanation in trickier topics will make it a lot better. Overall I have the basics of blockchain perfectly.

By Bikash K

Oct 3, 2020

Great course. Earlier I searched for lot of free contents on Youtube but couldn't find any effective courses. But here, it cleared all the basics of the concept. Really worth it.

By Muthukrishnan T

Jul 3, 2020

course was very good and interesting. i have enjoyed learning the course and i am excited to complete the project and assignments too. Thanks a lot for such a wonderful course.

By Simon M

Mar 5, 2019

Very good and enjoyable with lots of additional material allowing me to delve and investigate further. Still a little confused in some areas - but that's Blockchain I guess!

By Om S

Jul 6, 2020

etherum.ova file need to be update . overall these course was amazing . I am very thank full to coursera and respected Mam Bina Ramamurthy for guiding me for these course.

By Anirban M

Jul 26, 2019

The course videos are good. But some of the links given in the questions of the quiz are not working. The instructions for the final project could be better in my opinion.

By Serge G

Jun 12, 2018

Good introduction to the subject. I would have appreciated more courseware content and less references to URLs. I'd suggest to make the slides available for downloads.

By Hariprasath T

Sep 22, 2020

It is a very nice course but some of the links are outdated which made it impossible to answer some questions in the graded section and learning section.(optional)

By Guzmán L

Jul 15, 2020

Very good introduction to blockchain. I am not giving it five stars because some links were broken to do the online test and had to find a workaround alone.

By Eric H

Aug 4, 2018

Presenter was good, but I prefer a presenters with a clearer voice(no accent) for this learning environment only, in a personal setting it would not matter.