Back to Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions by University of Alberta

Of all the animals on earth, which are the strongest for their size? What about the fastest? Who were the first animals to evolve flight? Insects take all of these titles and more! As the most abundant animals on the planet, insects and other arthropods affect our lives in so many ways. From beneficial interactions like pollination and biological pest control, to the transmission of life threatening diseases; this course will teach you about the big ways that these little arthropods impact our lives. In Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions, you will be plunged into the diverse (and sometimes alien) world of arthropods to learn how they work, what they do, and how insects and humans interact every day. After completing this course, you will be able to: Describe the evolutionary relationships between insects and their arthropod relatives Inventory major groups of insects and their diversity Demonstrate evolutionary adaptations that make insects successful Discuss insect biology and human-insect interactions Evaluate positive and negative interactions between insects and humans Propose practical and symbolic roles insects play in human societies...

AB
Jul 7, 2020

Very interesting and specially the anchors of this course are very enthusiastic and encouraging throughout the course so my focus is maintain for bugs and surly I will search more on insects further.

MH
Nov 19, 2020

An absolutely fantastic course with logically set-out modules and enthusiastic, inspiring and engaging presenters. Very useful for anyone involved in Science outreach and/or widening participation.

51 - 75 of 327 Reviews for Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions

By Cynthia H

Apr 30, 2020

This was the most comprehensive course! Not only did I get a very in-depth education about arthropods, but learning about Integrated Pest Management was enlightening and opened my eyes to the many ways in which we can avoid using chemical pesticides in favor of nature's pest control. Loved it. Planning on returning to the lectures many times in the future to cement this knowledge in my mind.

By Amy T

I have always had an interest in insects, and they appear in my job, but had limited knowledge. I found this course during the Covid-19 lockdown and thoroughly enjoyed doing it online. The mix of videos, course notes and interactive activities made the course so much more interesting, introduced me to a range of modules and the enthusiasm of the tutors has been contagious! Thank you :)

By Thomas J A

Sep 16, 2019

I enjoyed this course and learned a lot -- I've had a lifelong interest in insects, but have never studied entomology and don't work in the sciences. Even in sections I thought I already knew a lot about -- the honeybee module, for instance -- I always ended up learning something. Also, when my kids were younger, they/we were big John Acorn fans -- glad to see he made an appearance!

By Diana W

Jul 24, 2020

It was a very enjoyable course. The amount of information thought by this course is overwhelming but very interesting. I think that people should know about many of the modules in this class and it would be beneficial to have a shorter more basic version for public in general. The instructors presentation skills were very good, their way of talking was very clear and at a good pace.

By Madness

Sep 11, 2019

I began the course with an interest in bugs but I had no idea just how fascinating they are. I can't pick any one module as my favourite since they were all well presented and really helped build on the course as a whole. I've never been a great student but the material and presentation made me excited to dive in. Special thanks to all of the instructors and experts interviews.

By Mathilde V

Aug 25, 2020

Great course, very nice speakers. I missed a bit to hear about the amazing work and contribution of ants in society and environment, but that is just because I am working with ants myself, so I may be a little biased ^^ Though, it way very great to learn more about other insects and some that I do not usually hear about. Thank you for the course, University of Alberta.

By Joan L L

Jan 14, 2020

I loved this course! I found the modules, instructors, and guests informative, fascinating, and fun. And, I love insects even more after completing this course. It took me awhile to finish due to other obligations, but, I'm so glad I persevered.

I can use this knowledge in nature courses and outings I offer as well as in insect photography, which is a passion of mine.

By Evelyn P A

Mar 27, 2020

Excellent course for beginners!!! It is a well-planned 13 weeks of information, with plenty of visual aids and up to date topics. I particularly enjoyed the interviews of professionals employed in different areas of entomology. To my surprise the week of “insects in human culture” was my favorite, with amazing myths and stories about insects and human begins.

By Jennifer T O

Nov 18, 2019

Informative and engaging! Entomology is a hobby for me. Sadly there's not much interest about bugs in my area. I bought several books on the subject but found some of the terms to be too hard to understand. Being able to have instructors who can explain these terms and concepts is amazing! Thanks for making this course available for people like me!

By RAJAT V M

Jun 14, 2020

It's very for the beginners and notes of each module is very good and give all types of information. Even in each notes there are some interesting facts which make more interesting. Instructor and other members are very good. Through this course learned many things and it created a different view toward insects or basically arthropods.

By Sahara A M

Oct 12, 2019

I've always been fascinated by "bugs," so when I saw this course was available, I immediately knew I wanted to take it. There's a lot of neat information and I like how this course was put together. I hope it does help to give people a better perspective of insects! They are so beneficial and honestly, such cool little creatures!

By MARIA N C

Nov 23, 2020

Excellente!!! sin palabras, muy organizado muy complementado el conocimiento que instruyeron, y muy facil de comprender me encantaria de favor poder seguir aprendiendo con ustedes, me especializo en entomologia forense, si podrian por favor enviarme cursos con respecto a biologia, entomologia, entomologia aplicada y forense.

gracias

By Jairo R

Sep 6, 2020

I was very satisfied with the content and how this course was carried out.

A complete course, well structured and the most important thing carried out by true professionals who achieved what they were looking for: that we could all learn about this wonderful universe that insects represent in our daily lives and in the environment.

By Shawn T D

Oct 21, 2019

OUTSTANDING So well put together, subject mattered varied but forming foundation of Entomology. I enjoyed the variety of instructors and it was a good mix. Some of the interviews were mehh and a few questions were a bit tricky only because I did not read carefully and select two instead of three or something along those tracks.

By Mary H

Mar 28, 2020

Bugs 101 is well organized, well presented and engaging. I learned a great deal about insects, their physiology, morphology, adaptations, conservation and uses. I enjoyed each of the presenters, including those who work in different insect related fields. Thank you to everyone who put this course together. I may take it again.

By Camille C

Apr 16, 2020

Excellent course, I enjoyed every part of it and learned a lot. The videos and illustrations are of very good quality. Everyone can take this course because all biological concepts are explained very clearly. Personally I really liked the interviews with professionals and the beautiful pictures used to illustrate the course.

By Mauritius X

Sep 6, 2019

I have followed quite a few courses in Coursera offered by University of Alberta. They were all good. This one is at the same level. Lessons are well prepared. Instructors are good and easy. Topics are various. I learned a lot about insects and, as a biologist, this is not a minor accomplishment for a course like this.

By Lavender M

Jun 18, 2020

this is a wonderful course because it shows all aspects of arthropods. I came out of this class with so much more knowledge then I ever could've dreamed of. it shows you what to do to control bugs yet also how beneficial they are. I will always love insects, but this class made me love them more. thank you, Coursera!

By Jeanne A C

This is an awesome course which examines the world of insects where it intersects with humans. I never thought that I would learn so much material that could be useful in my daily activities as a Master Gardner, especially about insect reproduction and IPM. Thanks so much to the instructors and to U of Alberta.

By Molly K

Jun 9, 2020

This course was extremely thorough. It covered so many aspects, some I was aware of, but most I wasn't. I really learned a lot and enjoyed it quite a bit. The instructors and special guest experts were very easy to understand and gave valuable information. Very thankful that it was available in this format.

By André M M S

Aug 3, 2020

De verdad me pareció un curso muy bueno porque soy un principiante en todo el mundo de los insectos y los instructores, actividades y vídeos hicieron muy digerible toda la información. Siento que todas las herramientas que me dieron serán de mucha ayuda en el futuro de mi carrera. Muchas gracias por este curso.

By Barbara K

Oct 22, 2020

Excellent Course, enjoyed learning about these beautiful creatures and the role they play in our lives and ecosystem. Well balanced presentations, and very clear. Beautiful Photography and interesting people. Makes me want to visit!

I need to review the course again to fully benefit from the information.

By David G

Aug 14, 2020

Thanks so much for an outstanding class about insects and their valuable contribution to our well-being. All of the professors and guest speakers were outstanding, and genuinely made learning entomology fun. I really appreciate the great time and effort that went into making and presenting this class.

By Ricardo j m n

May 15, 2020

Great course, with very good lecturers. managed to compile so much information and keep it interesting and focused. the course is very well structured and allow to advance at our own pace. Really well done. it would be great if there are some more specific follow up courses and a bit more on arachnids.

By Mohammed S

Apr 21, 2020

Excellent!!! Glad i took this course. The subject was taught slowy and all four of the tutors made themeselves very interesting to listen to. Subject was quite expansive but really worth it. Could have gone little bit more into the different species as well. Appreciate the effort of the whole team.