Back to Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course) by Hebrew University of Jerusalem

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course* you will build a modern computer system, from the ground up. We’ll divide this fascinating journey into six hands-on projects that will take you from constructing elementary logic gates all the way through creating a fully functioning general purpose computer. In the process, you will learn - in the most direct and constructive way - how computers work, and how they are designed. What you’ll need: This is a self-contained course: all the knowledge necessary to succeed in the course and build the computer system will be given as part of the learning experience. Therefore, we assume no previous computer science or engineering knowledge, and all learners are welcome aboard. You will need no physical materials, since you will build the computer on your own PC, using a software-based hardware simulator, just like real computers are designed by computer engineers in the field. The hardware simulator, as well as other software tools, will be supplied freely after you enroll in the course. Course format: The course consists of six modules, each comprising a series of video lectures, and a project. You will need about 2-3 hours to watch each module's lectures, and about 5-10 hours to complete each one of the six projects. The course can be completed in six weeks, but you are welcome to take it at your own pace. You can watch a TED talk about this course by Googling "nand2tetris TED talk". *About Project-Centered Courses: Project-centered courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

MM
Feb 17, 2017

An excellent course provided by phenomenal professors! Everything is broken down into simple, easily understandable portions, and leaves you with a clear idea how to proceed to solve a given problem.

CT
Aug 22, 2020

This was so much fun, so satisfying and I learned a lot. I'm a software engineer. We do so much work in high-level languages that it's great to be reminded how computing machinery gets the job done.

251 - 275 of 800 Reviews for Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris (Project-Centered Course)

By FrankLiu2Dream

Dec 27, 2020

I have been taking online courses since 2013, and this course I would call the best of the bests. A masterpiece indeed. Thanks to both professors, you are great educators!

By Naveen S N

Aug 21, 2020

A course with a lot of practical exposure to how a computer works. I loved the syllabus a lot. Helped me put my computer architecture theoretical knowledge in to practice

By Satyam S M

Apr 11, 2020

This is a very nice course for everyone who loves computer. I can easily recommend this course. Thanks to both the professors who worked really hard to make this possible.

By Daniel N

Feb 3, 2020

Absolutely fantastic course, quite simply the best one I've ever taken, Highly recommended for anyone who wants to embark on a journey of understanding how computers work.

By Bryan B

Dec 29, 2018

Fantastic depth and pacing. A tremendous amount of effort went into making this course, and I honestly can't think of many ways it could be improved. Very, very well done.

By Zhiming G

Nov 19, 2017

Great course! Really beginner friendly and enjoyable. From my experience, I believe this course is also insightful for advanced learners who already have SE/EE experience.

By Mohammed H

Oct 28, 2020

Thank you for the awesome course. I have enjoyed every single class and learned a lot about building computers. I am looking forward to do the second part of the course.

By Sergio R G

Aug 12, 2019

El curso está claramente explicado y, como promete, va incrementando la complejidad poco a poco. Las tareas son retadoras pero también gratificantes. Lo recomiendo mucho.

By Luis V

Dec 27, 2020

This course was one of the best I have taken. Very well designed and just the right amount of difficulty. Highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about computers.

By Kevin D R

Mar 19, 2020

This is a great course. I have been programming for years, but I really feel that I understand how hardware works now. One of the most valuable class I have ever taken.

By Shabih O

Jan 19, 2020

A very intriguing journey indeed, learned a lot... Thanks a bunch for putting up a course like this, hopefully Ill be taking the second nand2tetris in my summer break ♥

By Johnson M

Oct 11, 2020

Nicely done, I am a designer with very limited tech background. I can't believe

that I just made a computer and played pong on it, which is complied by my own complier.

By Jam A

May 16, 2017

Very good material and fun course to do, specially the assignments! I implemented the assembler in C (since we're in a low level, right?) and it was very satisfying :)

By Abizer P

Aug 18, 2020

An Amazing Course which demystifies the hardware operation behind the computer...Well structured and Well Mentored and the fun part is that we implement it on our own

By Nikita V

Jan 13, 2021

Great course that gives a good overview of the computer architecture. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone before going into more specialised courses on the matter.

By Farzeen A F

Jun 7, 2020

Excellent excellent excellent, just so good. Especially if you only have a theoretical knowledge of computers and want to have some sort of practile knowladge in it.

By Adil H

Jul 17, 2018

After watching this course I know understand how a computer actually works at the hardware level. Very informative and well explained; projects were lots of fun too.

By 현승 김

Sep 15, 2017

As the professor said at the last week's session, it helped to demystify the working process of the computer on the hardware level. Also had fun doing the exercises.

By Nelson V

Jul 16, 2017

Very easy to follow for programmer and non-programmers alike, when Computer Architecture is a new field for you. Highly recommended, very good project-base approach.

By Steven G

Jul 22, 2016

Excellent,fun and highly very organised course. You'll be amazed just how quickly you "build" your very own computer, from the humble NAND gate to a working machine.

By Kevin H

Feb 6, 2020

I learned a lot from the course. It's incredible that this course is free. FYI, I would recommend learning the basics of boolean algebra before starting the course.

By Gerardo C A

Nov 26, 2017

Un imperdible para conocer de manera general pero de manera muy enriquecedora el funcionamiento de una pc a nivel de hardware vale muchísimo la pena quede encantado

By sichen m

Apr 28, 2016

I've always been wondering how people make circuits work the way they want it to, and now it no longer puzzles me! Thanks guys for your work on this great lecture!

By Su N D

Oct 6, 2020

I have learned a lot of things about computer architecture. I've just a student, but this coursed too easy to understand. Thank you for teaching me.

Best regards.

By Jesús E

Jun 11, 2018

The projects are interesting, some of them are quite challenging, but the knowledge outcome is invaluable! Overall, it was an excellent course, and well worth it!