Back to Business Analytics for Decision Making

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Business Analytics for Decision Making by University of Colorado Boulder

In this course you will learn how to create models for decision making. We will start with cluster analysis, a technique for data reduction that is very useful in market segmentation. You will then learn the basics of Monte Carlo simulation that will help you model the uncertainty that is prevalent in many business decisions. A key element of decision making is to identify the best course of action. Since businesses problems often have too many alternative solutions, you will learn how optimization can help you identify the best option. What is really exciting about this course is that you won’t need to know a computer language or advanced statistics to learn about these predictive and prescriptive analytic models. The Analytic Solver Platform and basic knowledge of Excel is all you’ll need. Learners participating in assignments will be able to get free access to the Analytic Solver Platform....

I would like to recommend this course to the business analyst aspirants. It is really intriguing and helps to develop analytical skills. The examples and assignments are perfect to train a beginner.

FA

Jul 14, 2020

Thanks to professor Manuel Laguana and also thanks to University Colorado Boulder for arranging this course that's are so helpful to business field in Business Analytics for Decision Making.

1 - 25 of 276 Reviews for Business Analytics for Decision Making

By Anna R

Sep 03, 2017

Although this course covers some useful techniques in data analysis it is largely a sales tool for the ASP (Analytics Solver Platform) which you only get a trial for. This course would be more useful if it taught the techniques using excel or basic mathematical solutions to understand the probability distributions and other items covered. If you are interested in learning general data analysis this is not the course for you.

By Gautam

Apr 19, 2020

A very effective course with lectures that helped in understanding the concepts a lot better with really good examples and pratical problem intrepretations.

By Martin F

Apr 17, 2020

The course gives a general overview about the use of optimization/simulation techniques in decision-making process. It is good to know such techniques, but the course is rather for beginners. I expected a bit more insights into the model constructions and practising with several models. The course is more about showing what can be done with these models than a real practising.

By Nedchanok H

Jul 12, 2017

The instructor is great. However, I would like to know the solutions for the exam. I sometimes pass the exam but struggle with certain questions but had no clue how to resolve it.

By Sergio F M

Feb 01, 2020

Excellent course, had a hard time using the Analytics solver because I have a mac, it doesn't work in OS, so trying to use the cloud model is pretty dull, I downloaded parallels and got the solver on excel, but it didn't work completely. The course is very well driven and explained

By Harsh M

Awesome pedagogy and syllabus of the course. Learnt a lot of new concepts, practiced them and understood through a series of case study analysis and quizzes. Great.. !!

By Nikhil S

This course is really helpful if you want to apply statistics learnt in college to real word examples. Making data models using excel was really a learning experience.

By Timofey I

Dec 11, 2018

It is more the demo of ASP's possibilities than education. ASP does not work in a free licence version for Module 4 models.

By Alicia

Jan 03, 2020

Thank you very much. During this course, the professor was teaching hand by hand, and I learnt the basic concepts and practice for data analysis, and can applied them into real business world. To masker the skills, I will review the content and practice more with the guidance.

By Prabal G

Apr 17, 2020

A very intuitive and practical approach for business analytics. The course instructor explained all concepts lucidly and the cases provided were very intriguing. All in all a very interesting approach to applying analytics to solve daily business challenges.

By KRISHNA R M

It was really an awesome course. It was fun learning about business analytics for decision making through this course. It helped me to get a thorough understanding about the different aspects while we make decisions.

By Hasanpasha

Nov 30, 2018

I find this course absolutely challenging as it in essence teaches you how to create models for decision making. Therefore, you will equip yourself with essential business analysis skills. Highly recommended.

By Dario A

Mar 09, 2018

Very interesting subject with a good instructor. I'd like to be able to cover the content in more detail, but it was a good introduction to optimization theory.

By Rhonda M

Oct 08, 2019

Loved the optimization concepts, and the various industry examples provided because it opened my eyes to how it applies to my industry (higher education).

By Manish B

May 24, 2019

Great learning opportunity Through Mr. Laguna its an outstanding way of bringing the classes for our business processes right at the desktop for our e

By KONE k n h

Apr 22, 2020

This course is very rich and to permit à the different people to learn a decision making from business analytics

By Qi X

Aug 04, 2017

I liked the way professor organized the course. Concept and example were clearly illustrated.

By Chandrashekar P

Jun 02, 2017

Just few points to make it better 1) This course uses another platform which explicity not aware of when took up course. 2) getting installation to work with is also some time challenging with book code , time boundness , Plug-in to excel, cyber security issues etc. 3) Some of the questions numbers mentioned in the quiz which are not available. Ex: week 4 , Question 10,11 and 12 will guide you through and I have only 4 questions to answer. I had observed this in some other quiz also. Overall it was good. Thank you

By Subhajit G

May 20, 2018

This course provides a brilliant overview of Business Analytics problems. Bit more details about the underlying mathematical techniques used would be helpful.

By Lyubov A

Jun 03, 2020

The course is quite informative but very much rely on the proposed ASP product (both theoretical and practical stuff. The trial version of ASP doesn't work properly all the times. For instance, the number of trials for a simulation recommended by the professor (and emphasised continuously) is 10,000, at the same time ASP trial version limit is 1,000. Now I need to try all the practical tasks with any other alternative analytics tools which mean additional time (and might be more money) which I invested already.

By Alvaro I A P

Jan 14, 2019

I do not give a good review to this course because I could not download the ASP, I wrote a message in the forum and no one replied, I see other students suffer this similar problem. I also saw a message in the forum from Marisa Edwinson (staff) acknowledging the code is expiring the 30th September. I have to guess some of the answers because I do not have the ASP downloaded, definitively not the full experience expected.

By Gaddam G T S

Jun 12, 2020

his course will introduce you to the basic elements of academic information seeking - we will explore the search process from defining a strategy to evaluating and documenting your search results. Attending the course will make you a proficient information seeker. You will learn how to carry out comprehensive literature searches based on your own research assignment. You will be guided through the various information seeking steps from selecting relevant search strategies and techniques to evaluating your search results, documenting your search process and citing your sources. Attending the course will enable you to: • Identify your information need • Evaluate databases and other information resources • Set up search strategies and use various search techniques • Formulate search strings based on your own research assignment • Identify relevant material types • Undertake critical evaluation of your sources • Search more efficiently on the internet • Avoid plagiarism • Cite correctly • Work with reference management • Document your search process The course is intended for undergraduate students but the lessons will be useful to anyone who is interested in becoming better at finding scientific information. There are no formal requirements for the course. The series consists of 21 lectures that are organized into three modules. The lectures include small assignments and quizzes (to check comprehension). The lectures will each touch upon a topic that is essential to the information seeking process. To get the most out of the lecture series, we recommend that you access the lectures while you are working on an academic paper. We also recommend that you watch the lectures in the order in which we have structured them. We recommend that you create and fill out a log book while attending the lectures. We have created a log book template that you can use during the course.

By N R M

Jun 18, 2020

Decision making is a difficult process, both in professional and personal fronts, especially in complex cases with many decision variables, constraints, objective functions and risks. Lot many tools are available now a days to solve complex problems. However the knowledge of how to model the problem and what method to be used is very critical in arriving at the right solutions. This course provides an excellent understanding of the basics for the same, and would recommend to managerial & engineering professionals and career aspirants in analytics.

By Michael L O

Nov 24, 2016

Good introduction to the Analytic Solver Platform for Excel used for various prediction and prescriptive modeling. Could use better integration of slides and transcripts but that is a personal preference since I like my notes to read more like a textbook rather than spread across a simple text file, a video, a sparse PowerPoint deck, and some Excel workbooks. Too disjointed for easy review in my mind.

By Pradeep I

Nov 10, 2019

This is a very comprehensive course. Manuel L, is very clear and covered number of useful business scenarios to depict the power of true analytics. The 'Analytic Solver Platform' is super Add-In , but I have my reservations on its limits over using it in this course. By the way it is a great course which definitely expanded my horizons.