Back to C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals by University of California, Santa Cruz

This course is for everyone. In the new world we live in, coding is a universally valuable skill, whether you're a scientist, artist, or a humanist. Algorithms are everywhere, and we all have to understand how they work. The C language is particularly well suited as an introduction to coding: It's a tried-and-true language, and it allows you to understand computing processes at a deep level. No prior knowledge of coding is needed for this course. We'll start at the beginning. The time estimated time commitment for this course is five hours a week for five weeks....

MA
Jun 21, 2020

I am really happy I did this course. The instructor is a really experienced teacher. This course gave a good start for learning the fundamentals and moving onto complex programming languages like C++.

CN
Apr 21, 2020

Great course to gain a foundation in C programming! The video lectures, coding examples, and peer reviewing of assignments allows one to learn quick and in real time. Would definitely recommend it.

51 - 75 of 1,194 Reviews for C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals

By Catherine C

Feb 24, 2021

Overall is was a good introduction to c programming and I'm glad I completed it. I will continue with the other courses in this specialization. However, I'm not sure I would consider it a beginner course. If I did not have past experience with programming, it would have been difficult to follow some of the more challenging topics and lingo. There was one lecture in particular that was a code example about storage classes and at the beginning the instructor talked about it continuing from the previous lecture. That was not the case -- there was no storage class lecture and the code example was very confusing out-of-context. I looked up the information myself elsewhere. There also needs to be better explanation of some of the assignments.

By George C

Course is not very organized. Assignment has items that are not taught for the week and are taught the week after assignment is due. Lots of assignment included things that were never in the lecture and I had to google to learn how to do it. Instructor is just reading notes most of the time. Need to show us how to run the program on his computer more to see how everything works.

By Jeehan ( S

Sep 28, 2020

Warning: Only try this course if you enjoy searching extra stuff about C on the internet, and doing assignments that use knowledge that we are not taught in the course. Oh, by the way. You might want to speed up the videos to *1.25. The teacher talks a bit slowly.

By Jason M

Feb 28, 2021

This is not for everyone by a long shot. The instructor regularly makes references to subtle topics he hasn't introduced yet. He muddles terminology (e.g. referring to using pointer arguments in function calls as "call by reference". Call by reference exists in C++, but not C). If you need a refresher on C, this course might be fine. If you have no prior experience in C, this class is a poor introduction.

By meftah

Apr 7, 2020

I can't run these code in my Codeblock compiler

By Yamina i

boring too much

By Marphy W K H

Aug 22, 2020

Initially I wasn't quite confident in the course quality as it seemed like the instructor didn't invest much in presenting the materials in the usually-expected manner, i.e. neatly typed-out codes and slides. However, as I followed the course in the first week, very quickly I realized that the instructor was really a veteran in teaching programming - he really knew his things and he knew how to share his knowledge with us! I am aware that there are comments on the 'poor' (really this means I suppose the look of materials but not referring to the content quality) materials, but I would like to encourage learners who are into learning programming to try this course out.

By Sarah C

Jun 17, 2020

As a complete newbie, I found this course very challenging but ultimately very satisfying. There is a lot of outside learning I had to do, so 5 hours a week which is printed on my certificate is not actually accurate. More like 20. That being said, I was able to work my way through the course and although my brain exploded many times, I received a good score. From someone who had to google what is Pi in the first week, I came away with a 92% score. Good introductory course.. don't be scared by the difficult subjects.

By Maria S

Jan 17, 2021

Very well structured course by an experienced professor. Needs an accompanying textbook and some serious studying if you're completely new to programming, like I am. The exercises and quizzes are challenging and help a lot in figuring out where your weak spots are, or what you haven't understood correctly. The code examples given are practical, can be tweaked relatively easily and will prove very useful in the future.

By 027 A S

Jun 28, 2020

Great opportunity to learn. It was not all served in a well garnished plate. We had to figure many things on our own, which compelled us to go through many things and learn many new and different things.

To understand what are we really looking for and how it is applicable in our task.

Thank you very much Dr. Ira Pohl or Dr.P as I remember

By A C Q C

Sep 27, 2020

This was an amazing course! I've learned so much about programming in C and the activities were very challenging for me. It made me search for as many concepts as I could and even interesting facts about the language itself! I totally recommend it to everyone who wants to get to know the C language. Go give it a try!

By Nikhil K

Jun 25, 2020

I thought it was an excellent introduction to the C language and its many intricacies. This course is suitable for any skill level although I think it caters more towards beginner programmers. Professor Pohl explains the concept thoroughly and gives examples for each one of them which shows what they do in a program.

By Ahmed E A

Dec 11, 2020

The major and most important point about "C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals" is the presentation of highly complex ideas in a simple and straight-forward way. The lecturer masterfully offers a good appetizer for early learners seeking a programming career or general knowledge about the language.

By Huda N S

Jul 2, 2020

This course is very helpful for students learning c language as it covers all basic and essential concepts.

Also many mathematical concepts are cleared and since lots of practice questions are provided int the end of videos it helps to understand many concepts .

Proper explaination is given in the course

By Cristiano R

Feb 1, 2021

Very interesting course! Professor Ira Pohl explains very well. The videos are well done and never boring. In the videos, a lot of pratical examples are explained. I recommend this course for everyone want to start to leanr C for the first time. It's interesting for experienced C programmes too.

By Juan D L A

Aug 25, 2020

Well made. It is precise and it's organized so that all topics can be understood with the time it requires.

I highly suggest this course for anyone who wants to start programming, since C its a very universal language and if C is understood, other languages would become easier to understand.

By Sharan K

Sep 20, 2020

The course is perfectly made for beginners. The course has a lot of assignments which keeps us on the track. But some assignments are beyond the scope of the course curriculum. So self learning is so important. We can also learn some algorithms, that's a kind of advanced .

By Medicherla S C B

Jun 3, 2020

A MUST FOR ANY BEGINNERS IN PROGRAMMING...!!!! This course covers C programming from scratch and the lectures are Excellent and many complex concepts have been simplified so that any amateur new to programming world can understand it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR A BEGINNER...!!!!

By El G R

Aug 27, 2020

learning C programming at school was hard i might say that i couldn't really keep up with it thanks to you sir i learned fundamental programming with C in the easiest way possible so thank you for your hard work and i would recommend this course to everyone

By Muhammad Y A

Sep 24, 2020

It's so amazing, I've already learned a python before enrolled in this course. I found it more explorable even though I already knew the concept of programming and it also gives a perspective from a machine itself. This course has been fun, thank you.

By Claire L

Apr 15, 2021

This course helped me to get the fundamental knowledge of programming. Overall, the explanation from professor Pohl is very clear, but sometimes you need to take some research after class, which I think is good for self-learning as well.

By Mukul K G

Feb 4, 2021

Very well designed . It is interactive because of peer reviewed assignments and discussion forums. Also programming is today's need in every fields. I strongly recommend this course to everyone who want to learn from the basics.

By Magdalena R

Feb 24, 2021

I learned a lot in this class - I was using this to brush-up on C for work, and it was very helpful. Just simple enough to be encouraged, just difficult enough to set up understanding for concepts, and make you really learn.

By Rajni K S

Jun 16, 2021

The course has helped me in gaining knowledge in C language and problem solving. Now I am much confident in basic C.

Mr. Ira Pohl has been a great instructor and I want to thank him for sharing wonderful knowledge with us

By DUDEKULA S

Dec 16, 2020

A perfect course for beginners and those new to programming. The video lectures, coding examples, and peer reviewing of assignments and quiz allows one to learn quick and in real time. Would definitely recommend it !