Back to C++ For C Programmers, Part A

Learner Reviews & Feedback for C++ For C Programmers, Part A by University of California, Santa Cruz

4.4

This course is for experienced C programmers who want to program in C++. The examples and exercises require a basic understanding of algorithms and object-oriented software....

CA
Dec 19, 2019

I liked it, it costed me a little because I am not a C programmer with big experience, and this course I feel is focused on C programmers that want to know how to "translate" their code to C++

HS
May 5, 2020

Just right for programmers seeking to update their skills to the new V11 C++. I recommend getting the book by the author that helps along with a text or Coursera course on Algorithms.

526 - 550 of 561 Reviews for C++ For C Programmers, Part A

By Tuo L

Oct 22, 2017

I gave this course two star for taking my responsibility. The course is bad designed. The homework has less clue and you may only find 50% or less related knowledge from the lectures. The final quiz is ridiculous (too many questions about number calculation and I cannot believe there are questions like what did D. Ritchie B. Stroustrup E. Dijkstra L. Euler do or invent?!!!). It seems that the professor or his assistant did not put too much effort into providing this course. Though I learned something from it and it pushed me to learn several c++ skills, in a google searching way.

By Dimitris K

Jan 14, 2019

The video sessions are nice and very informative. However, the examples in the videos are a "toy" compared to the assignment of implementing a Monte Carlo simulation for Dijkstra's algo. The directions in the description of the assignment are very poorly written and the specs are blurry and difficult to clarify by yourself. The MST assignment is much easier, but still the directions are not well prepared.

By weimian

Sep 2, 2018

no Chinese subtitles and it is really hard for me to figure all the English subtitles and knowledge. I feel that upset concerning no Chinese translation and I think it should be improved sooner or later. or Chinese learners like me would not learn as much as students who have English as their mother languages.

By Nadav S

Sep 19, 2017

Very superficial. I found that I know c++ to a limited extent, and that for practical uses I must learn a significant amount of information from other sources. In short, this course is an introduction but does not give you enough tools to call yourself a c++ programmer.

By Amit J

Mar 16, 2016

The instructor speaks too slow. Teaching concepts that are not valid anymore. e.g. prefer inline over function call, const vs #define, declaring variable anywhere in the code etc...

The topics are too small and too much time is devoted to them.

By Nishchaya B

Jul 30, 2017

The instructor is way too boring. I've tried hard to watch these lectures at least thrice but I loose interest after a while. There's a lack of energy and no connection with the audience.

By Vedanth R

Sep 16, 2019

Very low effort put in designing the course. Lecture content is not useful for the most part. Assignments are peer-reviewed instead of designing test-cases.

By Asterios K

Apr 7, 2017

Lots of overlap in the videos, not a lot of information on C++ features, too few hands-on activities with the features taught.

By PANNAGA U

Jul 13, 2020

Not good he talks in a mood that the doesn't like teching us so not able to understand some concepts

By Ranip H

Nov 16, 2016

Very poorly designed course material. Everything has been split up.

By MANOJ M

May 12, 2020

please enroll if you got some basic knowledge in c++

By Aishwarya H R

May 14, 2020

lengthy videos must be shortened.....

By KUSUMA D

By Jenish A g

Jun 2, 2020

Good course

By UTKARSH L

GOOD

By kshitija r

Jul 15, 2020

By Arunava N

Aug 15, 2016

Instructor speaks too slow and sometimes hardly audible with my earphones plugged in with 100% sound. Incredibly slow paced. Coffee must!!! Too much of story and history and introduction. Much less material presented for concepts shown. Much of the lecture time is wasted on things which does not matter, for example Djikstra shortest path... I would be more interested to know about the algorithm than a huge lecture on who is Djikstra, and also would like to have some exercise to implement the same and realise. Very unsatisfied with the course. But there is no other courses offered for C++ programming language in English Language. Not worth the time.

By Stas M

Jan 29, 2021

Very bad.

First assignment is very easy, second assignment is very hard and it seems prerequisites are graph theory.

I enrolled for C++ on coursera to learn C++, not to have to spend 2 weeks on youtube and wikipedia to learn graph theory and algorithms, there are courses for that on corusera thank you very much!

Showing part of the code in each video doesn't help, because I don't write that code in a vacuum, understanding how all parts operate together is crucial too. You can find some more elaboration on that on wikipedia because it's out of the scope of this review..

By Aparajith S

Oct 20, 2020

peer reviewing system is pathetic and has no basic check to neglect one bad review among two good reviews. I received 3 reviews of my week 4 assignment which was graded >8/10 by two peers and one person graded me a 4 on 10 with a useless comment of "try again". this made my grade go below 50% for this assignment. There is no algorithm to remove reviews that do not lie in close proximity to the other two reviews. I literally am frustrated for almost a week to get fresh reviewers for this assignment. unfortunately, this would be my last coursera course.

By Austin T

Dec 11, 2019

No lecture slides are provided. The camera switches to the speaker too often not letting the video slides at least be viewed. No significant readings are provided at all. The instructor never runs code throughout the entire class on a machine, he just verbally goes through it.

I would not recommend taking this C++ class. There are plenty of others offered on this and other sites that I imagine have to be better than this one.

By Alperen S A

Oct 14, 2020

this course contains great futures, but ... If you are a newbie, please don't enroll, professor usually covers only the surface of the subject, Nevertheless it is good course if you have passion for searching, reading stackoverflow etc.

By Paul C

Mar 19, 2020

Lectures slow and vague. The second homework is much much harder than the other two. Lots on graph theory but not too much C++

By Coppini D

Dec 14, 2016

Peer to peer assignments are really slow and due time dependent.