Back to English for Career Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Career Development by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Career Development, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in advancing their careers in the global marketplace. In this course, you will learn about the job search, application, and interview process in the United States, while comparing and contrasting the same process in your home country. This course will also give you the opportunity to explore your global career path, while building your vocabulary and improving your language skills to achieve your professional goals. The first unit in this course will introduce the U.S. job application process and provide strategies for identifying the jobs that match your interests and skills. Unit 2 will take you through the steps necessary to produce a professional-looking resume. In unit 3, you will work to develop a clear and concise cover letter. The final unit of the course focuses on networking and interview skills. Anyone may take this course for free. If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

KA
May 3, 2021

I enjoyed this Course English for Career Development and learnt a lot .The instructor were so helpful and proactive that it was easy for me to learn and I was able to reach clear all the assignment ..

R
Jul 20, 2020

AN EXCELLENT COURSE. THE TEACHERS ARE OUT STANDING. THERE IS A CLARITY OF THOUGHT AND EXPRESSION IN THE TEACHERS. EVERY ONE WHO IS SEARCHING FOR JOB SHOULD DO THIS COURSE. CONGRATULATIONS TO THE TEAM.

126 - 150 of 3,952 Reviews for English for Career Development

By Mrcelebratelife

Jul 10, 2021

This is a really useful course! Thank you instructors for your dedication in the preparation of this course. Complex concepts are simplified for easier understanding. Video duration are great for easy viewing. In a time where job stability is compromised to a rather large extent, I would encourage job seekers or even any working professionals to attend this online course as they would reap the benefits long after the course has ended. Once again, a million thanks!

By Aleksandr S

May 13, 2020

It was interesting experience to try this course. I had known many new things about job-searching process in US in comparison with my country. All material from this course was easy to perceive. I didn't have any problem with English in this course, it was easy and understandably for non-native speakers like me. My level of English between B2-C1. I definitely recommend it for everyone especially for someone who thinks about job in US. Thanks to the authors!

By Krishna P P

Among many courses, English for Career Development is a course designed so carefully keeping the learners in mind. This is an excellent course if you are the beginner and if English is not your mother tongue. If you are searching courses and feeling difficult to choose one, this is the best of the bests. Missing this course is missing blood in body in regard to online courses. So I recommend you to involve without any delay.

Krishna prasad prasain

Nepal

By DANIELA-IONELA A

Thank you so much for this great course that increased my english knowledge,made me understand what are the employers views and what essential skills,hoit should be a correct resume,cover letter or interview that can help me get the job I want to apply for.Wish all of the team best of luck and I will definitely reccomend this amazing course to my friends,family and other people looking for a great solution to improve English for Career Development!

By Gavrila A

Hi!

I enjoyed the activities involved in this Career Development course.

I have to thank Robyn and Brian for their professional presentations. Also, mixing and alternating the content -text, videos, quiz, puzzles - helped to fix what has been presented.

Great achievements, in a professional manner! I hope I will encounter many other interesting courses on the Coursera site!

I recommend this site to all people interested to keep learning and active!

By M H

May 3, 2020

It was fun going through each part of the course and I learnt a lot from the course.Right from knowing the basic teminology used in job seeking to writing a resume and cover letter followed by ways of networking to tips on presenting good interview to make a good first impression,the course is well built with every small detail required.Also presenting subtitles to videos helped the students like us who are not well versed with US english.

By Pedro A A C

Jul 17, 2020

Me gusto mucho -ECD- porque todos los audios y ejercicios vienen en idioma Ingles, los audios avanzan a la par de las oraciones escritas, te advierte y ejemplica con tips en el uso de frases y gramatica, te enzeña como presentar un curriculo de forma profesional en Estados unidos, y te da una guia para la entrevista de trabajo, requiere disciplina, su contenido es robusto, yo aprobe la version gratis pues no califique para financiamiento

By Hina M

Aug 19, 2020

This is a course that even the most basic level speaker of English can easily comprehend and actually learn everything about finding employment. It takes you through all the baby steps until you can be finally ready to face an interview. A great help to people who have been out of the job market as well.

I would like to thank the instructors for preparing such detailed lessons. Thank you so very much to everyone behind making this course.

By Bahadur A T

Apr 5, 2020

I am wholeheartedly thankful to coursera management who gave us such an amazing online learning platform to gain our expected training programs and courses. And I must say that courses compilation is a magnificent and way of teaching is also excellent. I have interest in some other courses I hope so I will keep continuing them soon, but currently, world is suffering from corona pandemic, I believe that soon we will overcome on it.

By ROBERTO V R

Jul 16, 2020

Hi!!! My name is Roberto Villena, I was born in Mexico City and I graduated for Business Administration, the I got another specialization in Economics, Finance, Risk Analysis and Marketing, for the course was very interesting and useful even though I am retired, so now I play Golf, travel, read and spent time with my family, but it is important to keep up dated, congratulation for the course to the School and the Instructors.

By Kim N L

Oct 18, 2020

What a great course for beginner to intermediate. Thank you for creating an amazing course and it is complete free to enrol. I only begins to my university studies a week ago and have no work experience or any knowledge about how to write a appropriate résume what so ever. I've just completed this course today and I would say now I have a proper knowledge about job seeking. Once again, Thank you so much for this free course.

By María E N R

Jul 9, 2020

Es un curso adaptado para que cualquier persona que este aprendiendo ingles pueda entenderlo, esto con conocimientos previos y con la motivación requerida para lograr alcanzar el objetivo de desarrollar nuestras habilidades y poder ingresar en el campo laboral. No me queda si no agradecer a los profesionales que participaron y participan para que todos podamos desarrollarnos profesionalmente. Muchas Gracias y éxito.

By Радковец О С

Apr 22, 2020

It was a very enlightening period for me. Even with I am an HR and many things were known for me, I still got a lot of new tips about job seeking, in general, and as it is usual in the US. Good structure of the course, pleasant teachers, interesting tasks, supportive atmosphere in chats - all was good. Special gratitude for the possibility to check our classmates final works, this task really helps to remember more.

By Mostafizur R A

Jul 14, 2020

It is a really wonder course for knowing the information about the job-seeking procedures. If you are new at the job market then this course is for you to understand the difficulties you'll face throughout the job-seeking processes and to know the right ways to overcome these difficulties. The instructors of this course are so much amazing to teach the whole process easily and perfectly. Hope you'll find the same.

By Rishat I

English for Career Development- is one of the most fun and interesting course that will help every jobseekers and professionals to get a promotion or advancement in their career. It’s very well designed and explained in detail step by step to have an updated resume and cover letter , which are crucial tools for an interview. Thanks to the team for making such a well organized course and it was very helpful for me.

By N.W.T.D. W

Dec 15, 2016

All the lectures were amazing and very easy to understand.I did many first times through this course.I wrote a resume, a cover letter, an interview. I did them for the first time in my life.I got good knowledge about them and in the future when I seek for a job this course will be really helpful. Really thank you a lot.Hope you will be able to do many courses like this and help students like me in the future too.

By Gerlyn G M

Oct 17, 2016

I'm grateful with the opportunity this course has offered me. It gives me new and better forms of knowledge of which I believe are very useful for future use. It doesn't only give me an opportunity to grow intellectually but also it gives me the chance to experience learning with people of different races from different places. That makes this course amazing and more interesting. Learning here is really fun.

By Haider A

Mar 11, 2019

best course ever i learned many new things in this course to help my future and career.For the help of this course now i become a good job seeker and i able to write my resume and cover letter very effectively sufficiently. Thank you coursera to give me this opportunity and special thank to my respected teacher Mr.Brian McManus and Mrs.Robyn Turner who teaches with the behalf of University of Pennsylvania.

By ANA O O M

Dec 18, 2017

I think it is a wonderful course for people like me, trying to improve their English and looking for a job abroad, because give you the silver lines needed for a foreigner with a completely different job market habits. Also could be really good for people getting their resumes and cover letter ready to jump in the job market, even if they are Americans they can find useful tips to help them to succeeded.

By Sekhar G

May 15, 2020

it's a very good opportunity for me. the course content quality is very good and easy to understand. it's giving me flexible time for finishing this course. it's helped me in improving the English language skill, a better understanding of the job application process. it's also helping me to improve my communication skill.

Thank You, Coursera for allowing me to learn from the University of Pennsylvania.

By Joseph T

Apr 28, 2020

The course is designed very meticulously to meet the requirements of job seekers. It clearly explains different stages in job search process and how one can be successful in realizing their dream job in a globally challenged environment. I express my sincere thanks to Course Presenters for their knowledge and skills. I strongly recommend this course for all who are interested in this specified domain.

By Airlane P A

May 9, 2020

I liked very much all the videos and activities. Now I will look for other courses in my area. Reading the name of this course I thought it would be more focused on learning English than on looking for a job, but I liked very much. I need to improve my English to write academic papers. I am not paying because the real in Brazil turns the dollar too expensive, but I enjoyed the course. Thank you.

By Antonina V

Nov 23, 2019

I really enjoyed this challenge, and I recommend it to other people. I didn't find difficult things in this course, but I hope that you soon add more subtitles in different languages, because during first part of course I can saw translation the word that I didn't know, and during second part I can't. Also thanks authors of these unites and wish you will be the best in your job. Good luck!

By Mara C

Jul 31, 2020

I am happy to have completed this course. It was very useful when it comes to thinking about the journey of looking for a job. Both teachers describe the posible situations you will encounter in the job application process and how you can cope with them successfully. If you arent sure about how to do a resume or what to answer at a job interview, I highly recommend you to take this course!

By Abhishek G

Aug 26, 2020

The instructors are very experienced and knowledgeable. The pace of the course is awesome that provides time for absorbing things. It deals with each aspect that an individual comes across while going for a job interview. I personally feel it was the right decision to invest time in this course. Lots of respects and thanks to Coursera, the Instructors, and The University of Pennsylvania.