Back to English for Career Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Career Development by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Career Development, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in advancing their careers in the global marketplace. In this course, you will learn about the job search, application, and interview process in the United States, while comparing and contrasting the same process in your home country. This course will also give you the opportunity to explore your global career path, while building your vocabulary and improving your language skills to achieve your professional goals. The first unit in this course will introduce the U.S. job application process and provide strategies for identifying the jobs that match your interests and skills. Unit 2 will take you through the steps necessary to produce a professional-looking resume. In unit 3, you will work to develop a clear and concise cover letter. The final unit of the course focuses on networking and interview skills. Anyone may take this course for free. If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

EB

Jul 04, 2020

Thank you for letting us to use this opportunity at this pandemic situation.\n\nI find this course has a lot example which is unstandable and illustration and so efficient for newcomer and job seeker.

DI

Aug 25, 2019

It is the very useful course for learning, this course provides videos for better understanding. A part from that there are exams like quiz, games, video recording, review of classmates work and all..

126 - 150 of 3,067 Reviews for English for Career Development

By Mostafizur R A

Jul 14, 2020

It is a really wonder course for knowing the information about the job-seeking procedures. If you are new at the job market then this course is for you to understand the difficulties you'll face throughout the job-seeking processes and to know the right ways to overcome these difficulties. The instructors of this course are so much amazing to teach the whole process easily and perfectly. Hope you'll find the same.

By Rishat I

English for Career Development- is one of the most fun and interesting course that will help every jobseekers and professionals to get a promotion or advancement in their career. It’s very well designed and explained in detail step by step to have an updated resume and cover letter , which are crucial tools for an interview. Thanks to the team for making such a well organized course and it was very helpful for me.

By N.W.T.D. W

Dec 16, 2016

All the lectures were amazing and very easy to understand.I did many first times through this course.I wrote a resume, a cover letter, an interview. I did them for the first time in my life.I got good knowledge about them and in the future when I seek for a job this course will be really helpful. Really thank you a lot.Hope you will be able to do many courses like this and help students like me in the future too.

By Gerlyn G M

Oct 17, 2016

I'm grateful with the opportunity this course has offered me. It gives me new and better forms of knowledge of which I believe are very useful for future use. It doesn't only give me an opportunity to grow intellectually but also it gives me the chance to experience learning with people of different races from different places. That makes this course amazing and more interesting. Learning here is really fun.

By Haider A

Mar 11, 2019

best course ever i learned many new things in this course to help my future and career.For the help of this course now i become a good job seeker and i able to write my resume and cover letter very effectively sufficiently. Thank you coursera to give me this opportunity and special thank to my respected teacher Mr.Brian McManus and Mrs.Robyn Turner who teaches with the behalf of University of Pennsylvania.

By ANA O O M

Dec 18, 2017

I think it is a wonderful course for people like me, trying to improve their English and looking for a job abroad, because give you the silver lines needed for a foreigner with a completely different job market habits. Also could be really good for people getting their resumes and cover letter ready to jump in the job market, even if they are Americans they can find useful tips to help them to succeeded.

By Sekhar G

May 15, 2020

it's a very good opportunity for me. the course content quality is very good and easy to understand. it's giving me flexible time for finishing this course. it's helped me in improving the English language skill, a better understanding of the job application process. it's also helping me to improve my communication skill.

Thank You, Coursera for allowing me to learn from the University of Pennsylvania.

By Joseph T

Apr 28, 2020

The course is designed very meticulously to meet the requirements of job seekers. It clearly explains different stages in job search process and how one can be successful in realizing their dream job in a globally challenged environment. I express my sincere thanks to Course Presenters for their knowledge and skills. I strongly recommend this course for all who are interested in this specified domain.

By Airlane P A

May 09, 2020

I liked very much all the videos and activities. Now I will look for other courses in my area. Reading the name of this course I thought it would be more focused on learning English than on looking for a job, but I liked very much. I need to improve my English to write academic papers. I am not paying because the real in Brazil turns the dollar too expensive, but I enjoyed the course. Thank you.

By Antonina V

Nov 23, 2019

I really enjoyed this challenge, and I recommend it to other people. I didn't find difficult things in this course, but I hope that you soon add more subtitles in different languages, because during first part of course I can saw translation the word that I didn't know, and during second part I can't. Also thanks authors of these unites and wish you will be the best in your job. Good luck!

By Mara C

Jul 31, 2020

I am happy to have completed this course. It was very useful when it comes to thinking about the journey of looking for a job. Both teachers describe the posible situations you will encounter in the job application process and how you can cope with them successfully. If you arent sure about how to do a resume or what to answer at a job interview, I highly recommend you to take this course!

By Abhishek G

Aug 26, 2020

The instructors are very experienced and knowledgeable. The pace of the course is awesome that provides time for absorbing things. It deals with each aspect that an individual comes across while going for a job interview. I personally feel it was the right decision to invest time in this course. Lots of respects and thanks to Coursera, the Instructors, and The University of Pennsylvania.

By Jesus E M

Mar 24, 2020

This is a really useful course. It will teach you how to go through the job application process, from looking for a job to the final interview, passing through how to write a resume and a cover letter.

It is focussed to the American market but it is totally valid to other countries, Ireland at least.

There are lots of good recommendations.

A must to take, no matter the industry you work on.

By SHANNA B

Sep 07, 2020

The overall course is good for a fresh graduate who wants to starts exploring job market because it gives a lot of insight on how to write resume, cover letter and interview process. And for more experienced job seeker, this course might acts as refreshment and additional knowledge on top of what they already experienced of. Recommended for fresh graduate or final-year college student.

By xue s

Jul 09, 2020

I have learned a lot from this class. The schedule is reasonable and progressive. Firstly, it taught me how to write a resume and a cover letter. Secondly, it helped me practice making a networking elevator speech. Finally, it showed me how to ask and answer questions in a job interview. Thanks all the teachers for their hard work and I hope this course will benefit more students.

By Trupti D

Jul 01, 2020

I really enjoyed the course ,as it gave me a different perspective. I like the method ,particular.The video,the quiz assignment. Review is a new method i came across. I really didn't know that two types of resume.learned a lot about action verbs.I can keep writing of this course on and on.

I like to do this course as a subject teacher.and I would recommend other to do this course.

By Melissa A

I really had fun taking this course. Unlike others, I am someone who had several years of working experience already. I took this course as a refresher of some sort as I think I what I know about career development is already obsolete. I learned a lot here and I'm very happy to say that my resume looks way better now. The lessons in this course are very useful. Highly recommended.

By Josephine E R

Apr 26, 2017

This was an excellent course and I am glad and honored to have been offered the Scholarship for the Verified Course Certificate, in case this course is re-offered, I am going to suggest everyone to take the opportunity to go through this amazing course. Thanks to Coursera and the Course Instructors for their valuable time and effort to provide us with such resourceful knowledge.

By Hay M L

Sep 13, 2020

It is very good course for people who are not speaking English as their first language. Lectures videos are really systematic and quiz are really amazing. I really appreciate this course which will help me to take care of my strengths and weaknesses in my previous job searches. In addition, it highlights the grammar points that I need to study in future. Thank you so much.

By Rafael P G

Apr 23, 2020

I loved this course and the way the isntructors address the importance of little details that can make a huge difference between getting or not a new dreamed job as the cover letter for example, and I loved the interview example videos, what to do, what not to do, how to propperly answer the questions the interviewer may ask you, in conclusion, how to ace any job interview.

By joseph a t r

Sep 04, 2019

The information in this online course are very significant to all people to enhance and develop their skills and our abilities to use it in a profitable ways and the content of all week are very concluded and full of learning in readings, quiz and lectures this the part which give us a certain knowledge as well as i am thankful to all staff which belong in this institution.

By Dev R C

Jun 11, 2020

Thank you so much you gave me the course based on financial aid it's amazing and i personally all video contatins like it's wonder and i share my coursera experience also i said you join and learn new things and courses it's really amazing and good today i finished my this course it's totally good and if you are job seeker so must learn this course it's really important.

By Rodolpho M I

Apr 26, 2020

The course is amazing! Congratulations on the course! And thanks so much because it's free! I'm from Brazil and I'm searching for a job here. The process to search for a job here is similar to the US and I could learn a lot of things about what I should or shouldn't do in this process. I could improve my English too and, for me, it's something very important for my career.

By mayar k b

Aug 03, 2020

i do not know what i say because there is nothing to describe this course ,it is very perfect and i pleased my beautiful teachers in this course i will love you forever . thank you

yours, mayar kamal

By Danish K

Apr 12, 2020

I would like to give a complete 5 because of his friendly content and teaching method. Some of things that I liked most are..

• Sudden Come Up of single question between a video lecture

• Games and Assismemts assisted me to review what I have understood

• Special Thanks to both instructors. They are sweet and made my learning effortless by making topic simple and easy :)