Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

HR

Mar 27, 2020

I learned so much about how to decrease stress for my pets and increase their happiness. I also learned how to better communicate with them. Thank you for helping improve my pets quality of life!

JJ

May 02, 2020

I have had a variety of animal companions throughout my life, but this course has taught me that I could always benefit by staying up-to-date on the latest information related to animal welfare.

76 - 100 of 424 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Fiona B

Feb 20, 2018

This was a very good course for finding out about behaviours and the reason for different signals. They don’t always mean what we think they do and this course gives us a clearer idea of what we should be paying attention to.

By Aggie H

Apr 21, 2020

I learned a lot from the course and I am more confident to help my cat and I am more resourceful in terms of providing information to my friends because of the resources shared through this course. Thank you so much!

By Donald T

Jul 29, 2020

I enjoyed the course vary much. I am trying to learn how to purr, but not vary easy. Sounds more like a growl. Do you have an email so that I can contact you with any question concerning the course? Thank you Don

By David S R P

Aug 19, 2017

Excellent course, highly recommend. You gonna learn a lot of worth info about the life od your cat and dog. If you are interesed in pet wellfare and how to apply in your daily life, this a perfect point to start.

By Saira T

Nov 26, 2017

Excellent course to understand how dogs and cats are communicating with us. Whether it is your own pets or one's you may meet in your life, strays, owned, in rescues or shelters they all need some understanding.

By mercy0408

Jul 27, 2020

Thanks to this great course, I really learned a lot about how to treat my pets better ,how to improve my house for better environment for them,and what their reactions mean.

Thank you for this amazing course.

By Shira B S

Sep 11, 2017

I liked it and did learn from it. I hope to have now a better relationship and understanding of my pets (especially the cats that I am less involved with.. it is my husband who is being their main parent)

By Silvia A

A very interesting and accesible course for all people interested in pets. It helps to be more aware of our obligations and give us resources and keys to try to know our friends and their needs better.

By Bettina S

Jul 30, 2019

Thanks a lot for that interesting course! As a cat owner I knew quite a lot already, but there were some very interesting insights and findings. Learning more about dog behaviour was also very helpful.

By Ulf H K

Apr 26, 2020

Very useful,many new insights about cats and allowing me to get rid of many wrong and overcome ideas about dogs! Interesting and gripping, almost effortless for me because of the fun I had! Thanks!

By Heather R

Mar 27, 2020

By Louisa D

Apr 06, 2020

I really enjoyed taking this course. The lectures were very informative and I learned a lot from this course. I definitely recommend this course for anyone who is interested in dogs and cats. :)

By Mary B

Dec 07, 2019

I am enjoying this course and am learning quite a bit. Behavior is one of my main interests as a trainer as I think understanding it helps to design training and living programs for the animal.

By Ashley S

Jun 23, 2020

This was a very informative course and had a lot of ways to destress pets but it can get repetitive after a few videos. All things considered, I did enjoy taking this course and what I learned.

By Kimberly S

Apr 09, 2020

The course was very informative and taught in a way that those not familiar with cats and/or dogs would understand. They offered real solutions to antiquated ways of addressing behavior issues.

By Cristina N

Mar 04, 2018

This is a very informative, interesting and well prepared on-line course with lots of documentation that one can read later on in order to get more knowledgeable about dogs and cats. Thanks!

By Yingqi M

Jun 02, 2020

I think the course is very informative and definitely delivers the main message to pet owners: consider the welfare of pets and see things via their perspectives. Thank you for the course!

By Kiran M

Aug 24, 2020

After going through the course, I am able to better recognise the behaviour of my pet and able to understand what they feel. This is definitely going to help better communicate with them.

By Xin S

May 24, 2017

A quick stab at some base concerns of animal welfare issues nowadays focus on cats and dogs, good start point to view with objective and scientific measures for anyone that is interested.

By Melinda M

Jul 03, 2019

This course was informative on many street and pet dogs and cats. I do want to know more about the shelter element of how these animals can be better suited in a shelter environment.

By Julia K

Oct 15, 2017

Thank you! I do enjoyed this course. I got a lot of new information about cats stress, dogs and cats welfare. I will use this knowledge with my pets and in my dogtraining practice.

By Sharon H I

Nov 29, 2017

I think this course should be a requirement for anyone thinking of adopting a pet. I've been around animals all my life and I still learnt a number of new things from this course!

By NADINE M S

Sep 19, 2020

Excellent content. Full of scientifically-based advice for those who really care about their pets. This course should be compulsory for all prospective and current pet owners.

By ANA K C L

Sep 10, 2020

Es un curso muy básico, sin embargo aprendes mucho y te ayuda a entender más a los animales y saber como tratarlos y corregirlos de una manera correcta preservando su bienestar

By Somya A

May 16, 2020

I enjoyed every reading every video. I love pets and i want to know everything about them and teachers help me to know about them. I am thankful to whole team of this MOOC.